Seymour Duncan JB vs Dimarzio Super Distortion

I'd say the JB - I've had Super Distortions in my 2 Jackson Adrian Smith sigs (alder with maple necks) and the Super Distortion sounds terrible to my ears. Totally dead, no attack, no balls...

I just recently did the sd for jb swap in two guitars.....
In both guitars the jb sounded better in clarity and string definition....
I thought the sd was just too undefined....

nitro":kfltkaxd said:
Would the Duncan JB also be good for early Van halen.Mike R/T nice sound and playing........

Thank you kindly Sir. :cheers:

I would say you could dial in a decent early VH sound with this pup and a vintage Marshall Super Lead.

for sure :yes:

nitro":20b76bmr said:
Would the Duncan JB also be good for early Van halen.

personally I think the dimarzio gets a better early VH tone (but really it all depends on your amp getting you most of the way there)...it is grittier and has a touch of "fizz" about it. Also it depends on the wood your guitar is made from, I have never had any luck getting a Jb to sound good in a basswood guitar where as the dimarzio does. Jb's rule with alder though

OP yeah the jb will be more open for sure

Super Distortion here. Killer pickup. Got one in my current (this week) favorite Stratocaster. Stunning tones.
Got a JB in my Flying V. Not a fan. Honky mids, fairly weak. Gotta get it out of there soon.
IMG_0047.jpg

I put a JB in a string thru Jackson XTRR and it sounded like shit - the results have been best for me in bolt-on, maple neck/board guitars..

I have the SH4/SH1N combo, and man, is that bridge bright! I'm still trying to get it dialed in the way I like it, but it's a great, hot pickup. It's funny that some call the SH4 "honky", and I'm usibg it through a "honky" Mesa Mark III, but I haz no honk, and it gives me a good, usable mid tone.

Had a MIJ Charvel Pro Mod that sounded great with a DiMarzio SD. Came to me that way..seemed a little 'hairier' than a JB. I liked it. But I also liked a JB in my other Charvel....both Alder I believe?

I love Dimarzio pickups. I have a SD in my Les Paul Axcess and it sounds really nice in there.

nitro, what amp are you playing through?

I think the kind of amp you are playing through would go a large part in dictating whether to go with one vs the other.

I have a JB in a mahogany body, maple top and it sounds really good and articulate. But the SD in an alder body, is just the perfect setup for me. It's hotter than the JB, with a little more fizz/hair around the edges. Not so much that it's not articulate, just enough to give you that added umph for the brown sound. The JB does roll back a little bit better, but I would imagine that is because it's not as hot to begin with.

Back