Shielding Paint.

^^^ :ROFLMAO:

Contemplated that, but I wanna do the Pickup cavities too. So black it is..
Can't get the Amazon link to post, but a little 12ml bottle is 32 bux.. :mad:

Copper tape is The Way.

image000000 2.JPG
image000000.JPG

I swear it must be placebo but when i copper taped my Les Paul i felt the tone was negatively impacted, so i tore it out. I know it's probably in my head but i couldn't unhear it.

^^^ :ROFLMAO:

Contemplated that, but I wanna do the Pickup cavities too. So black it is..
Can't get the Amazon link to post, but a little 12ml bottle is 32 bux.. :mad:

I've got a can of this stuff from Tractor Supply. I have no scientific evidence to support that it's equal to, or any better than the stuff that is specifically called "shielding paint", but it's worked well for me. And for half the price, you'll likely have enough to last a lifetime! :ROFLMAO:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...cXYogzDD7bLyX0MG9puMF94wR1nLI_VxoCbSAQAvD_BwE

I’ve used that shielding paint and it does work but it’s the more expensive option. You need to put down at least two thick coats of it as the more you use, the better it works (up to a point) and it is a small little jar.

The good thing about the paint is it’s easier to use, especially in stratocaster cavities. The bad thing is that over time, it will lose some of its conductivity and become less effective at shielding. Copper tape is a pain in the ass, but it will never wear off.

I will say I have had issues shielding Telecasters with the copper tape just because the control and neck pickup cavities can be tight and it’s easy for metal components to accidentally touch something. I have one telecaster that’s driving me nuts right now because I can’t figure out why my shielding tape job isn’t really working. To use the damn thing I rigged up a shielding bracelet with a long alligator clip lead I can attach to the bridge so I’m always grounding it whether I’m touching the strings or not.

I've got a can of this stuff from Tractor Supply. I have no scientific evidence to support that it's equal to, or any better than the stuff that is specifically called "shielding paint", but it's worked well for me. And for half the price, you'll likely have enough to last a lifetime! :ROFLMAO:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...cXYogzDD7bLyX0MG9puMF94wR1nLI_VxoCbSAQAvD_BwE
Interesting…I mean it would be pretty obvious if it didn’t work. How many coats do you use for it to be effective?

Welp, I already laid down the cash. It says Nickle is better than Copper, so we will see.
I get it Wednesday, so it will be done by the weekend.
I will report back.

This Guitar was inexpensive. I swapped in Duncan's, so the Pickups are not the problem. I checked the wiring and it's good but it is quieter in the middle position with both Humbuckers on.. Hmm.
I guess one way they cut cost is lack of Shielding..

Interesting…I mean it would be pretty obvious if it didn’t work. How many coats do you use for it to be effective?
It's been a minute since I've used it, but I think I put two on there. But, that's because I usually do two coats, even when I was using the expensive stuff.

I swear it must be placebo but when i copper taped my Les Paul i felt the tone was negatively impacted, so i tore it out. I know it's probably in my head but i couldn't unhear it.
FWIW, I only bother with shielding non-humbucker cavities - ie: the telecasters above. No need for such in my Lesters, ESPs, etc.

FWIW, I only bother with shielding non-humbucker cavities - ie: the telecasters above. No need for such in my Lesters, ESPs, etc.
I’ve almost always had to shield humbucker guitars, including ones with EMGs. It’s just not usually necessary to shield the pickup cavities. Electrostatic noise easily gets into the signal through the components in the control cavity.

Plus you at least need something on the inside of that plastic cover so you don’t get static pops and crackles when you touch it. Same for the pickguards of teles and strats. If you’re playing loud that static pop when your pinky finger touches the pickguard can be incredibly obnoxious.

I’ve almost always had to shield humbucker guitars, including ones with EMGs. It’s just not usually necessary to shield the pickup cavities. Electrostatic noise easily gets into the signal through the components in the control cavity.

Plus you at least need something on the inside of that plastic cover so you don’t get static pops and crackles when you touch it. Same for the pickguards of teles and strats. If you’re playing loud that static pop when your pinky finger touches the pickguard can be incredibly obnoxious.
Yep, usually just the control cavities on my humbucker fiddles, rarely the pup slots. But single coil anything gets shielded everything 😉

So I did just the Control Cavity..

The stuff is about 75% Solids that are at the bottom and need to be mixed up. When applying it, the stuff smells kinda like spoiled milk, but you will live. I used a Hair dryer to dry between coats and it flash dries quickly. I did 3 coats but the flat plane will hold more.

In the end, I noticed a little bit better rejection. I noticed a bigger difference when I move the guitar around... I have 3 different Guitars all with different Pickups that were all wired the same way with Push Pull Pots by me.. So in the end I think these Pickups are just a bit noisier than the others because they seem to be the most aggressive overall and what I'm hearing is their natural EQ Curve..

I have maybe enough to do the Pickup Cavities with 2 coats, but I'm slacking on that because I like were the Pickups are adjusted and don't wanna F with them right now..

IMG_20240131_203415872.jpg

IMG_20240201_200542580.jpg

On a side note, I swapped in a .022 Tone Cap and remembered why I went with the .047.. Rolled full back, the .022 has a quack sound to it where the .047 is full woof. If I'm going to have a Tone Control, then I want it to be able to roll all the highs off. Somehow, it seemed to work better with 50's wiring when rolling back on the Volume.

I think something like "Cramolin Graphite" is more than enough. Of course, it is better to use copper foil, but with good wiring, foil shielding is excessive.

Back