shrill pickup - need replacement - LP

duesentrieb

classic.jpg

My beauty LP Classic Plus has Gibson pickups (not the stock ceramics, but Classic Plus) - which are too shrill.

What would be a good replacement, esp. for the bridge?
Must be zebra though . ..

A bit meatier than a PAF would be nice.

Thanks for your ideas :)

Rio BBQ... I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations like BKP's and Motor City which are both great but the BBQ doesn't get enough recognition. I had one in a LP that sounded thin with BB pros, the BBQ really thickened it up nicely.

I replaced the '57 Classic bridge in my LP Custom with one of the new Dirty Fingers RI's & I love it! Here's a short demo I did with my Herbert. I left the '57 neck pickup in the guitar and it actually mates well with the DF. I don't know if it comes in zebra though?

Mogwai":27bp8a2a said:
Rio BBQ... I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations like BKP's and Motor City which are both great but the BBQ doesn't get enough recognition. I had one in a LP that sounded thin with BB pros, the BBQ really thickened it up nicely.

I agree, + it gets semi single coilish when turned down (on Some amps more than others).

Giga

Duncan Custom. I have the same issue with my Standard. They are too bright, (BB 2 & 3).
I went with a Custom/Jazz set up in my Classic Plus, and it was an excellent choice.

There are really too many options to list. I have had this same issue many times, and come to the conclusion that I just don't like ceramic magnets. Imo they tend to have a shrill, harsh high-end.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I appreciate it. I have a Rio BBQ Mini-Humbucker in my P90s Schecter, which is cool - interestingly I would have never thought about that.

In the LP aren't ceramics anymore, switched to Classic Plus (should be AlNiCo, no?)

Mark Day did some demo's with Motor City Nasty Nasty pups.

I have a set in an old LP. Has a wiry deeper tone, I think of Bogner type of tone. A slightly darker mid. No shrill at all. Just a great set. With treble and presence up on the amp, dialing back the guitar tone leaves a great Keith Urban type of edge of break up burn.

I have a second set to go into an old Ibanez that just sounds thin. I have heard these in a Suhr as well. Great hard rock pup. Not mega output compressed. still lots of blues potential for dynamics. Covers your Aerosmith when turned back a bit. Will do Alice In Chains rock perfectly.

Great pups. A little nasty.

My solution for when I have a super strat that is overly bright is to try the old standard Dimarzio Tone Zone. Don't know how that would work in a LP. Comes in zebra.

As far as I know the Classic Plus has an Alnico2 magnet and is just a slight hotter 57 Classic. I replaced the 57 Classics in a LP I used to have for the same reason: too shrill.

MCP Nasty Nasty or Detroiter. These are both very similar as far as their eq curve goes. Go with the Nasty if you want a touch more heat and tightness, though, it can be too tight in the wrong guitar. Each is in the PAF category as far as output goes, but have a bit more oomph. They have a bit of a bump in the lowmids, so they're beefier than the typical PAF. Their top end is I've run across in a pickup - it cuts through, but no shrillness to be found. Both have that lower output openness. Both are killer pickups.

Try a Duncan JB and swap out the magnet for an Alnico 2. It's killer and gets rid of any shrill tones :)

I've had just about every pup mentioned here in a couple of LP's. For what you describe, I would recommend a BG Bucker Dark. The BBQ is warm/thick, but can get a bit muddy IMO. The Detroiter and Duncan Custom aren't going to help your brightness issue. Everything else mentioned here is not even close to a PAF vibe.

I had the same problem with my Les Paul. Several pickups were tried, but I am really happy with my Bare Knuckle Riff Raff.

duesentrieb":1173064g said:
Thanks a ton guys.

How is the Aldrich "shrill-wise"?

Not shrill at all, the top end is reasonably warm. But it does have cutting upper mids to it, which may or may not work out for you

Back