SigX Owners...!

MatrixClaw

Question for anyone who owns one of these amps:

I find myself not getting anywhere close to the amount of gain I need for metal at lower volumes without maxing the gain 1 and 2 knobs. If I crank it, it thickens up and a ton of gain comes out of it... But I found that I can also engage the -10dB cut on the FX and turn the FX level down low and then crank the rhythm and lead up to about 2 o'clock and there's the gain - I can lower the gain 1/2 and it tightens back up. Is this how it is for you guys??

I seem to remember this being an issue with the UL I had as well. It seemed wildly under gained until I cranked the volume, which is so odd for a high gain amp - usually they get the majority of their gain from the preamp and having them this loud would make them flub out...

Am I doing something wrong?

Also - I find the switches don't really change the character of the amp much at all. Maybe slightly, but I was expecting pretty drastic differences, they are super subtle.

You should definitely be able to hear the difference in the switch positions. That alone tells me something isnt quite right.

I'd check your preamp tubes and check the bias.

The Sig is a very different kind of high gain. It comes accross as very uncompressed. So it may just not be your thing. It is also VERY picky with cabs and speakers. It could also be that you just need a boost or od pedal to push it just a bit farther to your liking.

~Troy

Might be a preamp tube not up to snuff. My Fryette is picky about preamp tubes.
Hmm, I'll check.

You should definitely be able to hear the difference in the switch positions. That alone tells me something isnt quite right.

I'd check your preamp tubes and check the bias.

The Sig is a very different kind of high gain. It comes accross as very uncompressed. So it may just not be your thing. It is also VERY picky with cabs and speakers. It could also be that you just need a boost or od pedal to push it just a bit farther to your liking.

~Troy
With the gains all the way up, it's enough, just a bit mushy and undefined which is too bad, because one of the reasons I wanted a Fryette again was for that "unforgiving" clarity. I generally use a lot less gain than most, so it's not like I'm looking for 5150 levels of gain here. LOVE the overall sound of the amp and dryness - it's exactly what I was hoping for there - but I was really excited to get my hands on the SigX finally because of how versatile it's supposed to be. Like a Deliverance but with more options. Without the loop trick, I've found it pretty one-dimensional, especially since the switches don't seem to do much. I'll definitely check the tubes, any suggestions for what I go with? I've got a huge box with almost every brand in it :ROFLMAO:

Fryette amps are not really high gain. When compared with many high gain amps.

But there is plenty there for most applications.

Lead channel with all switches up should be more gain than most people use.
Yeah, I definitely don't use as much gain as most people do, either. I remember the 50/CL I had having plenty of gain. The UL I had felt very undergained, though. It kept me from wanting one again for 10+ years because I never understood why so many people considered that amp to be one of the best metal amps out there. I can't remember what all I tried with it, though. I'm not really a fan of boosting and feel like this amp should get where I want to go with ease after watching plenty videos about it.

Hmm, I'll check.

With the gains all the way up, it's enough, just a bit mushy and undefined which is too bad, because one of the reasons I wanted a Fryette again was for that "unforgiving" clarity. I generally use a lot less gain than most, so it's not like I'm looking for 5150 levels of gain here. LOVE the overall sound of the amp and dryness - it's exactly what I was hoping for there - but I was really excited to get my hands on the SigX finally because of how versatile it's supposed to be. Like a Deliverance but with more options. Without the loop trick, I've found it pretty one-dimensional, especially since the switches don't seem to do much. I'll definitely check the tubes, any suggestions for what I go with? I've got a huge box with almost every brand in it :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I definitely don't use as much gain as most people do, either. I remember the 50/CL I had having plenty of gain. The UL I had felt very undergained, though. It kept me from wanting one again for 10+ years because I never understood why so many people considered that amp to be one of the best metal amps out there. I can't remember what all I tried with it, though. I'm not really a fan of boosting and feel like this amp should get where I want to go with ease after watching plenty videos about it.
I don't know if this will help but approach your eq differently as well. In many cases...at least in my experience with that amp it's a little tricky to get things dialed. One sweep of the knob and it can get boxy for instance. Basically I dial to my ears and not what my eyes are telling me to do...hope that makes sense. Also just diming Gain1 and 2 isn't the way to go with that amp...those guys work differently with each other.

It's not the best lower volume MV amp and I've tried the trick you did as well. Fryette's want some volume. That said for a needed boost for the SigX I use an EP boost. I've tried a few OD's but prefer the EP.

I've debated about keeping my SigX but I've decided to sell it locally. Great amp and even though the SigX is IMO the most forgiving of the Fryette line my tastes have changed. I've hung onto it because at one point it was probably my second favorite amp and one thing VHT/Fryette's do so well is punch you in the chest.

I don't know if this will help but approach your eq differently as well. In many cases...at least in my experience with that amp it's a little tricky to get things dialed. One sweep of the knob and it can get boxy for instance. Basically I dial to my ears and not what my eyes are telling me to do...hope that makes sense. Also just diming Gain1 and 2 isn't the way to go with that amp...those guys work differently with each other.

It's not the best lower volume MV amp and I've tried the trick you did as well. Fryette's want some volume. That said for a needed boost for the SigX I use an EP boost. I've tried a few OD's but prefer the EP.

I've debated about keeping my SigX but I've decided to sell it locally. Great amp and even though the SigX is IMO the most forgiving of the Fryette line my tastes have changed. I've hung onto it because at one point it was probably my second favorite amp and one thing VHT/Fryette's do so well is punch you in the chest.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I really dig the amp, I was just hoping for more than what it's delivering right now. I'm definitely familiar with amps that are hard to EQ, as my main amp for the past year has been a Mark IVb. The knobs and switches on the SigX honestly don't seem to do much until like the last 35% of their range. I'll definitely try swapping out tubes. Sounds like this is NOT the way it's supposed to behave! Bedroom playing for me is also generally much louder than most, so aside from a handful of amps, it's never been a concern, especially a concern of actually getting enough gain. Weird!

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I really dig the amp, I was just hoping for more than what it's delivering right now. I'm definitely familiar with amps that are hard to EQ, as my main amp for the past year has been a Mark IVb. The knobs and switches on the SigX honestly don't seem to do much until like the last 35% of their range. I'll definitely try swapping out tubes. Sounds like this is NOT the way it's supposed to behave! Bedroom playing for me is also generally much louder than most, so aside from a handful of amps, it's never been a concern, especially a concern of actually getting enough gain. Weird!
I'm not saying it's a massive difference using the switches but yes you should clearly hear the difference between Boost/Norm, More/Less and between Blow/Brit/Brown, Burn/Live/Vintage and of course the Scoop/Wood. And depending on how you set those affects Gain I and II and the eq.

Might be something wrong with it.

Can you give us an idea, song/band wise of what you're after? Metal and high gain means different things to different folks.

Also, are you running any effects in front or in the loop? You may have a tone sucker.

And as for tubes, i believe I have an LPS in the pi, TungSol in V1, EHX in V5, all others are Rubys. For Power Tubes I run Sovtek 6550's. Running through a D412 Fane cab.

The Deliverance, Sig X, UL, CLX, CL are all based on the same preamp. They should all get about the same amount of gain. There is minor differences. But the amount of gain is all about the same. The main differences in all these amps is the poweramp.

I don't use the loop. It shouldn't have much if any effect on the gain.

I didn't like the Sig X unless it was cranked, using a THD Hot Plate to knock the volume back and add some thickness in the mids.
I liked the D60 better. Def more gain in the D60 than the Siggys I had.

I'm not saying it's a massive difference using the switches but yes you should clearly hear the difference between Boost/Norm, More/Less and between Blow/Brit/Brown, Burn/Live/Vintage and of course the Scoop/Wood. And depending on how you set those affects Gain I and II and the eq.

Might be something wrong with it.
Yeah, I maybe get a slight shift in the mids between them. The lowest setting (Brown/Vintage) might have a bit less gain, but that's about it. I was imagining with the naming that it'd be more like the difference between a Plexi, JCM800 and a JVM in terms of voicing/gain structure (obviously with the appropriate Fryette voicing, instead) :p I'll definitely check it out!

Can you give us an idea, song/band wise of what you're after? Metal and high gain means different things to different folks.

Also, are you running any effects in front or in the loop? You may have a tone sucker.

And as for tubes, i believe I have an LPS in the pi, TungSol in V1, EHX in V5, all others are Rubys. For Power Tubes I run Sovtek 6550's. Running through a D412 Fane cab.
I don't play a lot of songs from other bands, but I'd say on the heavier side, Tool's Forty Six & 2 is one I've been jamming a lot lately. I've also been into Bad Omens and Architects more recently. Here's a clip I did a few days ago, just messing around with Helix Native:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1xkch5qfdqkj9e5/Metulz_gate.mp3?dl=0
I almost never use effects and haven't plugged anything into the SigX yet. I'll check tubes, didn't realize it can take 6550s, I know it has Mesa KT88s in it now, which I didn't even know were a thing. Not sure on preamps. I'm running through an Emperor 4x12 with a V30/GK100 X pattern. If I can find a fat bottom 2x12 with Fanes, I'd love to grab one!

The Deliverance, Sig X, UL, CLX, CL are all based on the same preamp. They should all get about the same amount of gain. There is minor differences. But the amount of gain is all about the same. The main differences in all these amps is the poweramp.

I don't use the loop. It shouldn't have much if any effect on the gain.
Interesting. I thought the Deliverance and CL had plenty of gain. Never got a chance to try a CLX.

I didn't like the Sig X unless it was cranked, using a THD Hot Plate to knock the volume back and add some thickness in the mids.
I liked the D60 better. Def more gain in the D60 than the Siggys I had.
Hmmm... That's definitely my experience right now. Strange.

Last edited:
Yeah, I maybe get a slight shift in the mids between them. The lowest setting (Brown/Vintage) might have a bit less gain, but that's about it. I was imagining with the naming that it'd be more like the difference between a Plexi, JCM800 and a JVM in terms of voicing/gain structure (obviously with the appropriate Fryette voicing, instead) :p I'll definitely check it out!

I don't play a lot of songs from other bands, but I'd say on the heavier side, Tool's Forty Six & 2 is one I've been jamming a lot lately. I've also been into Bad Omens and Architects more recently. Here's a clip I did a few days ago, just messing around with Helix Native:

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/Illaria?preview=Metulz_gate.mp3
I almost never use effects and haven't plugged anything into the SigX yet. I'll check tubes, didn't realize it can take 6550s, I know it has Mesa KT88s in it now, which I didn't even know were a thing. Not sure on preamps. I'm running through an Emperor 4x12 with a V30/GK100 X pattern. If I can find a fat bottom 2x12 with Fanes, I'd love to grab one!

Interesting. I thought the Deliverance and CL had plenty of gain. Never got a chance to try a CLX.

Yeah it doesn't come close to the gain levels of the JVM which when I see people dialing those past noon I'm like wtf. JVM is my main amp and really probably has the best MV out there. Sig needs to be pushing itself alot more. I know years ago when it came down to a shootout for my main amp it was the JVM and the Sig...and at band volumes the Sig sounded great. I went with the JVM because I wanted the classic Marshall mids and it was more liquid for leads but I never forgot about the Sig. Tracked one down again few years ago and have enjoyed it but I'm cleaning alot of stuff out and my band days are over.

This tells me your preamp tubes may very well be the issue. There is (should be) a pretty significant difference in sound and feel between those settings. Roll some tubes in V1, V2, V3 & V4 and see if she wakes up. V1 is most important.

You can download the Sig manual and will tell you which tube does what.

Also, someone may have thrown those Mesa KT88's in there without biasing it.
So check the bias for sure.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/Illaria?preview=Metulz_gate.mp3

Your clip link is not working (for me). It is just opening dropbox dot com
Never played that amp but can't imagine doing metal without at least a clean boost pedal.
Interested in the outcome of this regardless. Good to see you again :yes:

I've concluded that the Sig works best with Chinese Preamp Tubes like the Manual says. . It seems to need that brightness pushed thru the stages for clarity.
The Deliverance is different being a single channel which for me reveals individual tube character better..
Fryettes aren't going for super saturation. It's more about dynamics and articulation while riding the volume on the guitar..

Your clip link is not working (for me). It is just opening dropbox dot com
Never played that amp but can't imagine doing metal without at least a clean boost pedal.
Interested in the outcome of this regardless. Good to see you again :yes:
Whoops, you're right, I'm dumb and copied the URL from the bar, instead of the share link. Fixed :ROFLMAO: I have a pedalboard full of boosts and never use them. It gets plenty heavy enough, it just only really has one voicing when it does it, since both gains need to be mostly cranked, which isn't really how the amp is supposed to work.

I've concluded that the Sig works best with Chinese Preamp Tubes like the Manual says. . It seems to need that brightness pushed thru the stages for clarity.
The Deliverance is different being a single channel which for me reveals individual tube character better..
Fryettes aren't going for super saturation. It's more about dynamics and articulation while riding the volume on the guitar..
Yeah, it has JJs throughout. Gonna try rolling some different tubes through it today. Definitely not looking for super saturated, just dry, tight and clear. Usually I just set gain to the lowest point where a palm mute hits you in the chest. That seems to be almost maxed out on the SigX right now, which kills the articulation. Not sure if I have any extra KT88s, but I have 6550s in my Krank Rev+ I could swap into it and see if that makes a difference, but I have a hard time believing this is a power amp issue.

Whoops, you're right, I'm dumb and copied the URL from the bar, instead of the share link. Fixed :ROFLMAO: I have a pedalboard full of boosts and never use them. It gets plenty heavy enough, it just only really has one voicing when it does it, since both gains need to be mostly cranked, which isn't really how the amp is supposed to work.

Yeah, it has JJs throughout. Gonna try rolling some different tubes through it today. Definitely not looking for super saturated, just dry, tight and clear. Usually I just set gain to the lowest point where a palm mute hits you in the chest. That seems to be almost maxed out on the SigX right now, which kills the articulation. Not sure if I have any extra KT88s, but I have 6550s in my Krank Rev+ I could swap into it and see if that makes a difference, but I have a hard time believing this is a power amp issue.
I really didn't even think pre tubes...yep, mine is all chinese.

Blammo!
Get those JJ's outa there! I had JJ's in mine when I first got it and it was horrible! Siggy don't like JJ's at all lol.
I'd leave the KT88s alone for now. Swap out the pre's first and I bet she wakes right up.

~Troy

Back