SigX Owners...!

sig x and d60 are killers. steve dialed in the proto sig x for me and frank lamar (from egnater) at the NAMM show, and i got to play one recently and dialed in some juice.

got to a/b the d60 and d120 at tone merchants when they hit. immediately liked the 60 more due to being able to open it up to the sweet spot without dying ala 120.

Haven't had a chance to open her up and play with tubes yet, but I found a full set of what would've come stock in the amp in my box of tubes, so maybe I'll get some time today. At any rate, I just bought a Fryette PowerStation on the cheap, which I suppose will solve my issue, either way 😂

I use a Sig X and Deliverance 120 with a PS-100. It gives a lot of control over the sound and feel. This 2x12 has a Mesa Vintage 30 and G12K-85.
20220929_213752.jpg

Last edited:
@MatrixClaw, how did you make out with your Siggy?

And @stephensawall, is there any advantage, attenuation-wise, to using the PS with your Sig?
I've been contemplating getting a PS for mine.
The tones from the Sig are pretty decent at low volumes when using the Effects Level as a MV. But I am very curios if there is any palpable benefit of using the PS with the Sig, other than to be able to dime the Clean channel (glorious tone!).

In addition to using the PS to attenuate the Sig, it would be doubling as a power amp for my Kemper...so there's that too.
But if the PS/Sig combo is more arbitrary than advantageous, then I'd rather just foot the bill for a dedicated power amp for the Kemp.
Any advice?

Last edited:

And @stephensawall, is there any advantage, attenuation-wise, to using the PS with your Sig?
The tones from the Sig are pretty decent at low volumes when using the Effects Level as a MV. But I am very curios if there is any palpable benefit of using the PS with the Sig, other than to be able to dime the Clean channel (glorious tone!).

In addition to using the PS to attenuate the Sig, it would be doubling as a power amp for my Kemper...so there's that too.
But if the PS/Sig combo is more arbitrary than advantageous, then I'd rather just foot the bill for a dedicated power amp for the Kemp.
Any advice?
You nailed it with overdriving the clean channel. The other two channels you can overdrive at pretty much any volume.

There is also more control over tone and feel. But the Sign X without the PS gives a lot of control on it's own.

I was living in a condo upstairs and wanted to keep the volume very low. So I was using the PS. I usually play at drum set volumes it's just a option and not need at all.

You nailed it with overdriving the clean channel. The other two channels you can overdrive at pretty much any volume.

There is also more control over tone and feel. But the Sign X without the PS gives a lot of control on it's own.

I was living in a condo upstairs and wanted to keep the volume very low. So I was using the PS. I usually play at drum set volumes it's just a option and not need at all.
Right on Stephen. Thanks!

I had a Sig X and didn't gel with it either after a while. I'm more accustomed to 'wetter' gain I guess... Even though an Engl Savage for instance is still kinda dry and raw sounding, it's more compressed with a juicier saturation than the Sig:X.
I did thoroughly enjoy the rhythm channel though; so many tones to be had there.
What really made me sell it though, was that I couldn't get my 'in the room' sound from a Torpedo Live + Sig:X, whereas the Torpedo Live with either the Savage 60 or Mesa Mark V:25 sounded glorious. The Sig remained too stiff. Maybe KT88's aren't my thing...

Most of my friends that don't care for Fryette like the sounds. It's the fact they are so revealing. My THD amps are similar. My other amps are less detailed in what they show what my hands are doing. I like and play a very wide range of music styles. I play as much funk as I do rock. I do mess around with the higher gain more aggressive sounds. But it's not what I do most of the time. I am more into the AC/DC amounts of gain most of the time. So something like a Fryette that is basically from the Hiwatt family just fits the way I play better.
Having a variety of different amps that cover different ranges has always been better for me.

Any advice?
I actually ended up running the amp while it was backwards on my cab and saw the V3 preamp tubes was glowing blue. Turned it off and replaced it with a new one and there it was, exactly what I was hoping it'd sound like. I recently had a temporary moment of insanity after letting GAS get the better of me and listed it for sale, but I plugged it in yesterday again and was reminded by how great the amp sounds.

The clean channel is AMAZING. Seriously, can't say enough good things about it, it's absolutely killer, especially when cranked for some sick Plexi tones. Boosted, it easily gets into hot rodded Marshall territory.

The Crunch is where I stay most of the time. It gets brutal with tons of clarity, but reacts to picking dynamics really well, so you can set gain lower than usual for chords and then dig in when you need more. This channel sounds like what I remember the Deliverance being, though it seems to be less gainy still, or maybe the taper on the pots are more linear on the D60 I had. I remember playing at close to noon on both gains but I'm about noon on 1 and 2:30 on 2. I run this on 100w.

The Lead is where this amp differs from most other VHT/Fryettes I've played. It can get really saturated like most of the high gain amps people know and love, but retains more clarity than most of the other options out there. It can also get very smooth for leads, which is nice. I run this on 40w.

I've been running the amp with my PS-1 the last few days. It's easier to control the volume this way, but I wouldn't say it's needed if you can get to decent levels (which is honestly where it's going to shine, regardless, since no amp is going to sound that great if it's not at least moving a decent amount of air). Maybe for the clean channel if you really want to push it.

Really, the only thing I wish this amp had was a shared master volume. Matching the Crunch/Lead levels isn't too bad, but the Clean can get a bit tricky. Not a huge deal, but I could see how it might be a bit annoying live.

I actually ended up running the amp while it was backwards on my cab and saw the V3 preamp tubes was glowing blue. Turned it off and replaced it with a new one and there it was, exactly what I was hoping it'd sound like. I recently had a temporary moment of insanity after letting GAS get the better of me and listed it for sale, but I plugged it in yesterday again and was reminded by how great the amp sounds.

The clean channel is AMAZING. Seriously, can't say enough good things about it, it's absolutely killer, especially when cranked for some sick Plexi tones. Boosted, it easily gets into hot rodded Marshall territory.

The Crunch is where I stay most of the time. It gets brutal with tons of clarity, but reacts to picking dynamics really well, so you can set gain lower than usual for chords and then dig in when you need more. This channel sounds like what I remember the Deliverance being, though it seems to be less gainy still, or maybe the taper on the pots are more linear on the D60 I had. I remember playing at close to noon on both gains but I'm about noon on 1 and 2:30 on 2. I run this on 100w.

The Lead is where this amp differs from most other VHT/Fryettes I've played. It can get really saturated like most of the high gain amps people know and love, but retains more clarity than most of the other options out there. It can also get very smooth for leads, which is nice. I run this on 40w.

I've been running the amp with my PS-1 the last few days. It's easier to control the volume this way, but I wouldn't say it's needed if you can get to decent levels (which is honestly where it's going to shine, regardless, since no amp is going to sound that great if it's not at least moving a decent amount of air). Maybe for the clean channel if you really want to push it.

Really, the only thing I wish this amp had was a shared master volume. Matching the Crunch/Lead levels isn't too bad, but the Clean can get a bit tricky. Not a huge deal, but I could see how it might be a bit annoying live.
Right on man! Glad you got it working!!
Sooooo many tones available in that amp...a seemingly endless variety.
Love mine!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
A sharred MV wouldn't work. It could never have it right with the different dynamics of each channel and how you can set them up..
However, if it were programmable like a MIDI Preamp.. That would be great.
Fryette needs to at least have MIDI Channel Switching on his amps. That would free up a lot of real estate on the Pedal Board..

Back