SL Module

HughJasol

After about a year of trying on and off half-heartedly, I finally acquired a dual-channel SL module a couple weeks ago. I haven't played through it much at all, but after the few minutes of play that it did receive I was pretty surprised how little gain this module seemed to put out. I had expected that the gain would be somewhere on par with my Brown module, but to me it seems to have only about half of that! Even on the B channel with the GAIN on 10, it doesn't seem nearly as dirty as what I can get with my Brown. Does that sound right, or do I potentially have an issue with my module? :confused: And yes, I tried different tubes.

gain on 10 on the B channel is enough to do Ratt and Van Halen.

It sounds like you might have a problem somewhere. bad tube?

To quote Roseanne Roseannadanna: "Never mind" . . . :doh:

I don't know what was wrong before. :confused: But I put a brand-new Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V1 and a brand-new Penta 12AX7B in V2 and now gain-wise it sounds as expected. In fact now it sounds even closer to the Brown than I thought it would, in that it has that dark tone of the Brown. Maybe I'll try to tweak the BRIGHT caps . . . wonder if it's possible to do the "X" mod to an SL (haven't heard of one, so probably not).

You actually can do the "x: mod to just about any of the standard brit brit module layout boards, which should be everything except the T/D and COD, IIRC. I read somewhere a long time ago that someone tried the x mod on an SL, and it wasn't so hot. I had an SL for a while too, and loved it. My xMan won out in the end, but if I had the resources to be a module collector, I'd still have it.

I'd recommend the EG5 with Channel A gain around 10:00 for that boosted marshall sound. It's actually the sound that allowed me to trade off my Marshall JMP. Bass around 2:00, Mids around noon, and Treble around 9-10, depending on taste, cab, ETC. Very VH1-ish. Plenty of Pick scrapy goodness too. :thumbsup:

Good info - thanks! :thumbsup: Gotta try that BMAN-->XMAN mod when I get around to it . . . I've heard nothing but great reviews on it!

HughJasol":3tet2aa7 said:
Good info - thanks! :thumbsup: Gotta try that BMAN-->XMAN mod when I get around to it . . . I've heard nothing but great reviews on it!

I ended up cutting the bass on the B channel on mine, if you do the x mod. I've got the instructions for that mod if you're interested. just PM me.

mboogman":389khb58 said:
HughJasol":389khb58 said:

I ended up cutting the bass on the B channel on mine, if you do the x mod. I've got the instructions for that mod if you're interested. just PM me.

Hi, new member here (but long time lurker),
i would love to try this mod also, i ever felt clean/mid gain modules unbalanced on bass beetween modes... is these mod (bass cut when in B mode) affecting only the previously x-modded ones or applies also on normal modules too (ex. VX, T/D)?
thanks,
eero

Back