So if Ed used the neck PAF pickup from his ES335 what magnet did Gibson use in the neck p/u?

I had a local pickup winder who is extremely knowledge about PAF pickup and pickups in general he made me a copy of a Ibanez super 70 and he also made me a copy of a super 70 with a alnico 9 magnet and I can tell you that it’s amazing sounding
Yeah, my HighOrder Super 70 is a really sweet sounding pickup.

I prefer a JB for most things I do.. and for the later Van Halen stuff.

Absolutely FANTASTIC post and spot-on.

The pickup in the Red Baron (Holdsworth's Red Charvel) was basically an SD '59n with double screw coils with identical winds. Again, that "fat tele" tone that would hold together with gain or could do the clean stuff, or run parallel for the crystalline sound.

I've always adored Ed's sound on "Girl Gone Bad" and that's the V, with the 58 PAFs...those '58s were normally in the high 7s. Gorgeous tone.
Everything about girl gone bad is beyond epic.

Is there a pickup winder out there who has worked directly with more of the guitar heroes in the world than Seymour?

What is hilarious to me is that every single boutique pickup winder in a basement in Arkansas or his mom's garage in Minnesota are the only guys in the whole world who have figured out the correct recipe for duplicating old PAF's or strat pickups or whatever. They are the only ones who have an old pickup winding machine from Gibson or have determined the correct metallurgy. You have to ask yourself, who worked with more of the stars back in their heyday than Seymour or Larry DiMarzio? These guys were in New York (Larry) and London/Los Angeles (Seymour) where all the stars were and were ripping apart guitars and pickups back when '59 Les Pauls and 60's strats were just used guitars. Almost every one of my favorite tone guys have worked directly with Seymour, not some obscure pickup winder in Reno. How many real PAF's did all these Johnny Come Lately boutique pickup guys ever play through let alone rip apart? Seymour and DiMarzio were ripping them apart when they were a dime a dozen.

I'm just saying, the hype and smoke and mirrors in the boutique pickup winding world when it comes to who makes the most vintage correct pickups is downright laughable.
Well said. No matter what tone I'm looking for, I can find it in the Duncan line. The JB is pretty perfect in most guitars. Most of my boutiques are in a drawer.

At this point, can't all the EVH worshipers just focus on copping his playing style and quit chasing his tone? It's not anything special! You don't sound like Eddie because you can't fucking play like Eddie! Get over it and go practice. Get a cheap 5150 iconic and go to town. Ed would still sound like Ed through Dimebags rig.

Actually, we will be the one's who decide for ourselves what is a special tone. You mention Dimebag... at least we know he wasn't a massive Van Halen fanboi. And you would be surprised how well many people on Rig Talk can play. Heck one of the regular members who takes part in nerding out in Van Halen threads plays guitar in David Lee Roth's band. Should he go practice too? And yes, Ed would still play like Ed through Dimebag's rig because plugging in to a different rig doesn't turn you into a different person. He would CERTAINLY have a different tone though and it would be one that none of us would chase.

I hate that Rig Talk requires you to read every single thread on here, even when it's a subject you don't care about. I wish you could just click on the threads that interested you.

Edwards style of playing(you know it’s Edward)and his tone/sound) are to different things each Van Halen album had a different sound but Edwards style of playing stayed the same.

Last edited:
I’m a close friend of Ossie Ahsen I was talking to him and also listening to his Mighty Mite 1300 shoot out he did on YouTube and I have to say that f#%king pickup has it,no question about it for the first Van Halen album sound it just matches the tone/attack/brightness it sounds more lively then the dimarzio super Distortion that’s for sure,I need to get one.

I’m a close friend of Ossie Ahsen I was talking to him and also listening to his Mighty Mite 1300 shoot out he did on YouTube and I have to say that f#%king pickup has it,no question about it for the first Van Halen album sound it just matches the tone/attack/brightness it sounds more lively then the dimarzio super Distortion that’s for sure,I need to get one.
I correspond with Ossie thru e-mail.

He certainly has some interesting ideas about Ed's early signal chain.

Jesus fucking Christ! At this point, can't all the EVH worshipers just focus on copping his playing style and quit chasing his tone? It's not anything special! You don't sound like Eddie because you can't fucking play like Eddie! Get over it and go practice. Get a cheap 5150 iconic and go to town. Ed would still sound like Ed through Dimebags rig.
I don't suppose you get close to Dimes tone playing all those Randalls and Dime gear that you acquired and/or still have over the years. And yes you probably can't play like Dime but I'll bet your tone is damn close regardless of playing prowess. Dime didn't sound like Pantera Dime when he switched to Krank amps did he?
Sooooooooooooo..............

Last edited:
Ossie does some great VH sleuthing which I appreciate and enjoy. For instant VH1 gratification I like the MM1400(9K) but that WACF video with that 7.65K ohm SD59N also has alot of the telltale crunchy, grind like the 1400/1300 does.

We have had alot of discussions on whether or not the MM14001300 was used on the 78 tour if you want to search threads but I have to admit there are no pictures confirming it's use so the next candidate is PAF's and it seems the Seymour rewind was after the 78 tour sometime.

This thread started off as a "What magnet did Gibson use in the 1961 ES335?"neck pickup......................:hys:

Actually, we will be the one's who decide for ourselves what is a special tone. You mention Dimebag... at least we know he wasn't a massive Van Halen fanboi. And you would be surprised how well many people on Rig Talk can play. Heck one of the regular members who takes part in nerding out in Van Halen threads plays guitar in David Lee Roth's band. Should he go practice too? And yes, Ed would still play like Ed through Dimebag's rig because plugging in to a different rig doesn't turn you into a different person. He would CERTAINLY have a different tone though and it would be one that none of us would chase.

I hate that Rig Talk requires you to read every single thread on here, even when it's a subject you don't care about. I wish you could just click on the threads that interested you.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well said.......................:2thumbsup:

Just watched the Jim Gausted video on WACF tone. So Jim is thinking that Eddie used a 250k pot AND ALSO put a tone pot in his guitar to tame the highs? That seems to me like the kind of things a guy does when he does not like the sound of a pickup at all. Why even use northern ash if you are taking 27 steps to make it not sound like northern ash?

I don't know... it seems like all this sleuthing from Jim and Ossie are getting farther and farther out there. I have heard some amazing clips from guys using MUCH SIMPLER rigs and much more obvious pickup choices and just nailing phenomenal tones. I think what all this is showing is that you can get very close to that tone using about 15 different pickups and rigs.

Not to kiss ass either, but harddrivers clips of his Super Leads and clones sound phenomenal. I know that if Eddie walked into Sunset Sound with harddrivers current exact rig but in 1978 - 1984 with Donn Landee and Ted Templeman, we would all be geeking out trying to duplicate exactly what harddriver has sitting right next to him as he himself geeks out on wondering if he should be putting a Duncan '59 neck pickup in his guitar. lol

We are all lunatics.

The Bareknuckle version of this pickup is an asymmetric wound, 42 AWG, 9.4kΩ, with an A5 magnet..

Anyone see a pattern yet ?

:cool:

Some of you my not know but this is the amp I use, read carefully I have the last amp that Mark Abrahamian-Rockstah (RIP)modded before he passed away.it’s a Rockitt Retro(# 46)1968 50 watt plexi spec 12000 series all hand wired turret board all top notch components that I sent to Mark Abrahamian to mod.I had the Rockstah Amplification logo made that’s the logo Mark Abrahamian designed but passed away before he had a chance to make them.I remember Mark A.called me on a friday this was September of 2012 telling me “ hey man I’m sending the amp to you when get it please call me to tell me how you like the mod 5”, I recieve the amp on that Monday which was a three day wait,I find out the Mark passed away that Sunday night after a show in Nebraska, Mark was Mickey Thompson guitar player in Starship. It was sad that I couldn’t call him back to tell him that the amp just smokes-amazing Van halen 1 all day.. Mark and I would talk all the time about the Van Halen sound and amps in general.

Attachments

• IMG_8540.jpeg
    IMG_8540.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8541.jpeg
    IMG_8541.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9138.jpeg
    IMG_9138.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Some of you my not know but this is the amp I use, read carefully I have the last amp that Mark Abrahamian-Rockstah (RIP)modded before he passed away.it’s a Rockitt Retro(# 46)1968 50 watt plexi spec 12000 series all hand wired turret board all top notch components that I sent to Mark Abrahamian to mod.I had the Rockstah Amplification logo made that’s the logo Mark Abrahamian designed but passed away before he had a chance to make them.I remember Mark A.called me on a friday this was September of 2012 telling me “ hey man I’m sending the amp to you when get it please call me to tell me how you like the mod 5”, I recieve the amp on that Monday which was a three day wait,I find out the Mark passed away that Sunday night after a show in Nebraska, Mark was Mickey Thompson guitar player in Starship. It was sad that I couldn’t call him back to tell him that the amp just smokes-amazing Van halen 1 all day.. Mark and I would talk all the time about the Van Halen sound and amps in general.

What was your username on MetroAmp forum ?

:unsure:

Mentoneman the clip you just posted is not my amp,the clip you posted was a ground-up build that Mark A. made, I sent Mark my amp(Rockitt Retro)

Last edited:
Mentoneman the clip you just posted is not my amp,the clip you posted was a ground-up build that Mark A. made, I sent Mark my amp(Rockitt Retro)
glad you got your amp before his tragic passing. Mark was a cool dude and awesome player with great ears for tone. Bummer he left so soon.

Jesus fucking Christ! At this point, can't all the EVH worshipers just focus on copping his playing style and quit chasing his tone? It's not anything special! You don't sound like Eddie because you can't fucking play like Eddie! Get over it and go practice. Get a cheap 5150 iconic and go to town. Ed would still sound like Ed through Dimebags rig.

Here we go again with the typical buzzkill "find your own sound" type post. NEWSFLASH: We KNOW we're not Ed. He's INSPIRING. Thanks.

not this shit again geez jeez.jpg

Last edited:
Ever notice how the Guitar Police think it's fine to be influenced by any guitar player EXCEPT Ed?

If you have the nerve to be influenced by him, suddenly you're a wannabe and a clone.

Fuck that. I love Ed's songwriting, playing and sounds.

The man was a fucking genius on the level of Charlie Parker.

He changed rock guitar. He made it better. Why would I ignore that?

Amen.

Last edited:
Back