So is the Timmy pedal really that good?

Rufus Leaking

I'm about to grab one but used they go for quite a bit more then new due to the wait time, and that bugs me a bit. Does it have enough gain to do say AC/DC levels of gain into a clean amp? I plan on putting a germanium OD/fuzz in front of it for leads...

Rufus Leaking":ou8rtq43 said:
I'm about to grab one but used they go for quite a bit more then new due to the wait time, and that bugs me a bit. Does it have enough gain to do say AC/DC levels of gain into a clean amp? I plan on putting a germanium OD/fuzz in front of it for leads...

You might want the Tim as it has the extra gain stage in it. Love mine!

donbarzini":1krtbra1 said:

What would you suggest for a mid-gain dirt pedal into a clean amp (JTM50 clone) which will take well to stacking another OD/fuzz on top?

I am a pedal noob :student:

I suggest you contact Dave Simpson and get yourself a Rocket fuel pedal. It is two pedals in one and was designed with and for Doug Aldrich . Dave and Doug hooked up and bang ... It is awesome. :rock: 3 position bass shift toggle like a Cameron or modded cameron.. in a pedal. Like a mini PQ-3 rack mount in a pedal. :yes:

Alright well I'm going to go ahead and try it. An Analogman Beano boost is on my radar too...

FWIW I'm trying to cop more of a 60's/70's Clapton, Trower, Hendrix vibe then the 80's metal thing.

30+ years playing and I've never used any pedals other then the occasional wah, but this JTM50 with a Fulton-Webb Textosterone in front sounds so good it's blowing me away. :yes: I might have to re-think everything now :confused:

At least pedal gas is a whole lot less painful then amp gas. Easier to sneak in the house too :D

Hey Randy,
Got a Timmy in the mail yesterday. I have a few hours of play time with it. Great pedal. I bought it to go with my Wizard MC that I have on order. I through it infront of my Fortin Cali and wow was I impressed with it. Worth every penny. I saw one on the gear page for sale asking price was $190.

Beyond Black":vxhuy7e7 said:
The clips I heard of the new Suhr Riot pedal were fucking awesome. :rock:

I bought one and sold it. I can tell it's a decent pedal but it didn't work well with the clean channel of a Lonestar. It sounded pretty harsh and the mids sounded too scooped. I didn't want to totally change my clean tone just to make the pedal work. The drive channel of the Lonestar sounded better than the clean channel with the Riot.

But with the Timmy. Isn't it made to juice an already overdriven amp or mid gain amp? It doesn't seem to be the type of pedal that's going to work great on a clean channel or clean amp.

Hollywood":2s6fg9o1 said:
I suggest you contact Dave Simpson and get yourself a Rocket fuel pedal. It is two pedals in one and was designed with and for Doug Aldrich . Dave and Doug hooked up and bang ... It is awesome. :rock: 3 position bass shift toggle like a Cameron or modded cameron.. in a pedal. Like a mini PQ-3 rack mount in a pedal. :yes:

Tried looking up some videos and found this. :D

The video on their website isn't much help. Doug seems a little out of it there.

I really like my Timmy. I find it works well in as a boost and in front of clean amps. Slightly better as a boost.

I got called an idiot at TGP for not liking the Timmy into my SF Bandmaster Reverb. Even though PaulC (designer) admits it was not really designed with Fenders in mind, I still got slagged over there. No one offered any helpful settings either.

Anyway, the Timmy is pretty open and not compressed. It doesn't really boost the mids, so IMO its not a great match with a BF or SF Fender amp (I prefer a good old tubescreamer type for those amps). It does work really will with my Vox AC50, Marshall 2553, Mesa Mark IV (as a boost for R2), and Fender Brown Super (which has more mids than a BF Fender).

I am going to try switching the internal switches at some point and see what that does to the sound (it changes the clipping).

Yes the Timmy pedal was awesome heard it over psychodaves house a week ago and it is a great pedal...Then again everything sounded great over dave's house :rock:

Spoke with Paul on the phone this afternoon, he is redoing the Timmy now and I have the new one on the way mid Feb.

Same circuit but he is moving the switch closer to the bottom of the pedal and he is adding a mini toggle to externally access the formally internal clipping dip switches. He is relocating the input jacks as well. :rock:

Well I've got one on the way so we'll see how it sounds. At least it will be a lot easier to pack up and ship out then an amp if I don't like it. :yes:

I do want to try a CM Plexitone someday...

No idea about the Timmy pedal, but i use the Soldano GTO pedal with a '71 50 watt stock JMP and get some great pushed blues tones and more... even at low volume.... Great pedal but they are a bit pricey.

moltenmetalburn":2h3smzs3 said:
The TIMMY is a modified Tubescreamer, if the TS808 floats your boat this probably will too.

Quote from PaulC originally posted on TGP: "The circuit's a bit different from a TS. It doesn't use an active tone control like a TS - it has pre/post clipping bass & treble controls. The bass control is a variable shelf EQ that is almost an octave above the fixed 1st order filter in the TS. The treble control is a passive variable 1st order while the ts uses an active opamp based high freq boost/cut shelf control. The second gain stage in the Tim is a flat 6dB booster to get the output level up while the 2nd stage used in the TS is used for it's active tone control.

I know what you mean though - rolling back the tone controls can give it a bit of a mid hump, but other than some diodes it doesn't follow the TS topology of clipper stage/active tone control. The Tim/Timmy is basscontrol/clipper/passive treble control/output amp.

Later, PaulC
Tim/Timmy pedals
myspace.com/paulcaudio "

From this thread: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=665152

Though the circuit is a bit different it started out as a Tubescreamer and IMO still sounds like one only better.

sure he swapped some stuff around and it does sound different than a stock TS but Ive seen the schematics for both and it is obviously a TS modified.

Danelectro was kind enough to clone the pedal and pass it off as their own, until they got caught.

it was the first version of the "transparent overdrive" in the cool cat series.

This should answer your questions guys, the first half of the video is with out timmy, 2nd half is with timmy.

I was about to trade mine away today and then a special certain someone told me how the damn thing is actually supposed to work and it's not like a TS...

Please excuse the less than stellar playing... I just adjusting the action on this guitar a bit higher so I could dig in a little more and I'm not quite used to it yet :(

Back