Soldano SLO Owners Chime In

Like Steveo said, take it back to Soldano for the two mods and what others have said maybe a speaker swap and no doubt some killer power tubes will help. All my amps have depthmod, but that said when the amps are opened up and playing with a band it's all about the mid cut. My modded mark III absolutely kills but I pulled out my Langner modded Marshall that Cameron fixed/tweaked to compare and the mids hit me immediately as different and what would cut perfectly in the mix with a band. Classic Marshall...never played an SLO but I'm sure after what I've read we're talking the same thing in the mids. The SLO sounds like the depthmod isn't a true depthmod since it's forward of the power section where it belongs.

DEPTH mod is prodigious ! Massive low end.

Preamp settings : Set mids and treble quite low such as three or less and increasing the bass will have a considerable effect on the low end.

Speakers : Scumback H55+ H75LDC are my favorites with the SLO.

MV higher settings : overrated in my opinion.

Fryette PS2: I use it because it provides a great effects loop to the SLO. Aside from being transparent, you can use it in a different way to terrifically sculpt this sound including more bottom.

3F325A31-DE98-4010-BE56-A86873BCD5BF_zpswkdud5ut.jpeg

Not really a match with the V30. The SLO and a V30 have a lot of high mids. As far as more bass...are you playing in a band? You can run the bass up at 7 and bring the depth mod up gradually as needed and it'll fill out the low end more but nothing too crazy. It adds lows AND low mids IMO. I never dial A LOT of bass on my amps as it doesn't add anything good to a band mix once the kick drum and bass guitar come in. But if you're strictly using it at home then, no, it's not a bass heavy amp. Get an Uber, Diezel, etc. if you just want thump at low volumes. The SLO is a lead machine and has a smooth rhythm tone that is all about clarity and anti-flub. If you ever get to play an SLO at 5-7 on the master volume it would make your jaw drop with how amazing the punch and feel of the amp is. It's a players amp that sounds good at any volume (EQ'ed right), but the real magic happens when the circuit is opened up.

What speakers/cabs do you guys recommend?

I've got a Mesa 4x12 with V30, Diezel 4x12 with V30, and a Bogner 4x12 with V30/G12T75

So far to my ears it sounds the best with the Diezel.

I'm not in a band. I just play in my house. I really want to love this amp so I'm gonna give it some time. I'm also using a Friedman Buxom Boost.

To be honest with my 2x12" HR25 cab with stock Eminences I think it sounds best. I also like it with g12H30s. Alot of people are fans of the Creambacks too. Try your settings like InstenseJim has them in that photo, mine are pretty similar, and you should have endless amounts of low end... I think since you're using mostly V30s it might come off as a little harsh with the SLO. I have also found that it is a very picky amp with what pickups you use.

Metlupass2":1ddwfmiz said:

I've got a Mesa 4x12 with V30, Diezel 4x12 with V30, and a Bogner 4x12 with V30/G12T75

I'm not in a band. I just play in my house. I really want to love this amp so I'm gonna give it some time. I'm also using a Friedman Buxom Boost.
G12 65s, vintage or reissue. Better than GBs, V30s, G12 80s, or EVs that I've tried with the SLOs I've had.

Metlupass2":2xekauxo said:

The Bogner 4X12 with Chinese M25W Greenbacks.

It should sound pretty decent with that Bogner cab as is too. :confused:

It's got Sovtek 5881 and jj preamp tubes if that makes a difference. I've just got to spend some time with it.

se7en":1fy9q8dm said:
Not really a match with the V30. The SLO and a V30 have a lot of high mids. As far as more bass...are you playing in a band? You can run the bass up at 7 and bring the depth mod up gradually as needed and it'll fill out the low end more but nothing too crazy. It adds lows AND low mids IMO. I never dial A LOT of bass on my amps as it doesn't add anything good to a band mix once the kick drum and bass guitar come in. But if you're strictly using it at home then, no, it's not a bass heavy amp. Get an Uber, Diezel, etc. if you just want thump at low volumes. The SLO is a lead machine and has a smooth rhythm tone that is all about clarity and anti-flub. If you ever get to play an SLO at 5-7 on the master volume it would make your jaw drop with how amazing the punch and feel of the amp is. It's a players amp that sounds good at any volume (EQ'ed right), but the real magic happens when the circuit is opened up.
As does any amp. Btw, greenbacks, you're welcome.

halebox":1ghzxbkr said:
Yeah first thing is speaker swap. Pull the 75’s out of Uberkab and put g12-65 or wgs et65 or creamback 75h. Keep 2 vintage 30’s in there. V30’s alone is too much spike. Depth mod helps too. What guitar are you using. It really puts the guitar under a microscope and will sound like itself x10. So if a thin guitar that’s what it will emphasize. Once you figure out how to use it you will see it’s one of the best amps ever. Keep the gain at 5 and use a klon to get you the rest of the way. I much prefer the SLO to the Wizard I had. Also the standard Soldano 2x12 has tons of low end. I have 2 Uberkabs as well with the above speaker mix. Perhaps the Diezel cab with a speaker mix will have more low end than the Uberkabs

So one v30 and one 65 in your 2x12?

I have found that low many medium to low output pick ups sound great with my SLO.
For example, to my surprise, my 70s Gold top with Lollar minihumbuckers sounds killer for a high gain Sykes tone. This was to my surprise.

The high output pick ups I have tried sound stiff but highly percussive , as if they are fighting the amp (or some other anthropomorphic analogy)—not as fluid. Which could be the effect one is looking for . But not me.

I would suggest grabbing a few (?3) very different pick up genres and trying for yourself l I would suggest grabbing a few very different pick up genres trying for yourself:

IntenseJim":ovvao55w said:
I have found that low many medium to low output pick ups sound great with my SLO. For example, to my surprise, my 70s Gold top with Lollar minihumbuckers sounds killer for a gain Sykes tone. This was to my surprise.

Agreed. Here’s a clip of the SLO with a Rio Grande BBQ. Measures 12.5k.

I've played my Suhrs, Tom Andersons, and Luxxtone through it. They've all got hot pickups. I got it better sounding now. I think I might swap out the 75s from the Uberkab at some point and buy some greenbacks.

Metlupass2":1otbkrk1 said:
I've played my Suhrs, Tom Andersons, and Luxxtone through it. They've all got hot pickups. I got it better sounding now. I think I might swap out the 75s from the Uberkab at some point and buy some greenbacks.

Try a Les Paul... with a ceramic bridge pup... plenty of bottom... and Greenbacks will help too.

:thumbsup:

Metlupass2":36j9pd44 said:

I’ve used the following: Warehouse Veteran 30 (sounds surprisingly good with this speaker), Chinese V30, 90’s (Made in England) V30, EVH Greenbacks, G12T-75, RI Greenbacks, Lynchbacks, Redbacks, and H75 Creambacks. I haven’t had the Redback too long, but I think I like it best. It’s got a deep low end, flat/even in the mids, and a smoooth (not dark) top end. Mates very well with the SLO. It also sounds really good through RI Greenbacks. H75 Creambacks are good, too, but they are on the bright side. Just avoid Chinese V30s. Those sound terrible with the SLO, IMHO. Spike city. Well, terrible might be a bit extreme. That speaker just comes in dead last for me. Lol. Cab construction and front versus rear loaded plays a role. The SLO is hand’s down the pickiest amp I’ve ever played when it comes to speakers.

Metlupass2":kzjtns5o said:
Make sure you put those V30s on the bottom if you do. If you keep it an X pattern the V30s will just drown out the GBs.

Mr. Willy":th0xjxy9 said:
IntenseJim":th0xjxy9 said:
I have found that low many medium to low output pick ups sound great with my SLO. For example, to my surprise, my 70s Gold top with Lollar minihumbuckers sounds killer for a gain Sykes tone. This was to my surprise.

Agreed. Here’s a clip of the SLO with a Rio Grande BBQ. Measures 12.5k.

That sounds so good. I have no idea how the phone’s mic is not distorting but just awesome.

Jeff Hilligan":bwlemy0i said:
halebox":bwlemy0i said:
Yeah first thing is speaker swap. Pull the 75’s out of Uberkab and put g12-65 or wgs et65 or creamback 75h. Keep 2 vintage 30’s in there. V30’s alone is too much spike. Depth mod helps too. What guitar are you using. It really puts the guitar under a microscope and will sound like itself x10. So if a thin guitar that’s what it will emphasize. Once you figure out how to use it you will see it’s one of the best amps ever. Keep the gain at 5 and use a klon to get you the rest of the way. I much prefer the SLO to the Wizard I had. Also the standard Soldano 2x12 has tons of low end. I have 2 Uberkabs as well with the above speaker mix. Perhaps the Diezel cab with a speaker mix will have more low end than the Uberkabs

So one v30 and one 65 in your 2x12?
Right now 2 v30's but im going to swap one out

Racerxrated":3azgj5hx said:
Metlupass2":3azgj5hx said:
Make sure you put those V30s on the bottom if you do. If you keep it an X pattern the V30s will just drown out the GBs.

Good to note. Thanks.

Back