Solid state power amp for W/D

Mr. Willy

What are the best options for solid state power amps in a wet/dry rig? I’m aware of HH, but are there other more economical options that work just as well or close?

I did comes across people using these Rockville Power amps in their EVH W/D/W rigs on YT. They actually look fairly decent and are priced dirt cheap. I don't know what kind of quality these are or what they sound like so here ya go YMMV. The wattage for this RPA9 is right up there with the V800's.

https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rpa9/

Power Ratings:

• RMS Power Output:
  • Stereo 8 Ohm: 2 x 250W
  • Stereo 4 Ohm: 2 x 400W
  • Bridged 8 Ohm: 1 x 800W
  • Peak Power Output:
  • Stereo 8 Ohm: 2 x 1000W Max
  • Stereo 4 Ohm: 2 x 1500W Max
  • Bridged 8 Ohm: 1 x 3000W Max

Terminals:

• Input Terminals:
  • Combo jack (XLR and ¼”) A & B inputs
  • RCA A & B Inputs
  • Output Terminals:
  • Banana binding post speaker output
  • Speakon output
  • XLR direct output

Features:

• Rockville RPA9 3000 Watt Peak 2 Channel Professional/DJ Rack Mount Amplifier
  • 2U rack space
  • Bridged and Stereo output switch makes this perfect for (2) subwoofer, (2) speakers, or (4) speakers
  • Built in crossover switch allows make this perfect for speakers, monitors, or subwoofers
  • Channel A & B Clipping Led Indicators
  • Channel A & B Separate Level Controls
  • Power, signal, overload, clipping, and protection LED indicators on front of amp
  • Heavy duty rack mount ears with handles
  • Built-in dual high velocity quiet cooling fans
  • Maximum headroom for 4-ohm and 8-ohm Speakers
  • Level controls for precise setting and matching of sensitivity
  • Computer controlled IC protection circuitry against speaker short circuit, thermal over load, DC over load
  • User serviceable fuse (5A, 250V)
  • Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20KHz <+/- 0.5dB
  • Distortion: <0.03%
  • Input Impedance: 20K Ohm Balanced and 10K Ohm Unbalanced
  • Signal to Noise Ratio: > 102dB
  • Power Requirements: 120V / 50-60Hz
  • Weight: 17.19 lbs
  • Dimensions: 18.97 x 13.97 x 3.54 inch

https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/pro-amplifiers/?in_stock=1&Bundle=No

Last edited:
if its for wet theres good one space options to save on weight and apace like marshall 8008 or 4004
carvin dcm150
or ht150

Matrix GT1000FX
ART SLA1/SLA2
Rocktron Velocity 300
Randall RRM 2-80 (if you can find one)

Those are 1U, more options in 2U

Use the power section from a bluguitar amp1 and it can also be used as a backup amp
I’m already using the power section of a katana, and that’s my backup head. It’s certainly passable. I’m really wanting to see if I can get a better sound from a dedicated power amp.

Is this loud enough to keep up with a loud-ish drummer?
not sure, it's 180W in mono bridge mode, 8 ohms, which is how I use it (into a Mesa Compact 2x12 8ohm cab, rated at 120W so I didn't push it) - it was loud.

It's rated at 80W stereo @ 4 ohms per side; which may not be loud enough.

The size is small, however there's a transformer "brick" that's nearly as big as the amp.

IMO, you may want to consider stereo rack power amps like Crown to be sure you have enough power?

Great suggestions fellas. Really appreciate it. I’m learning a lot.
On the forum I linked above, they discuss the tonal differences between 4, 8, and 16 ohms. Long story short, it seems the lower the ohm load, the better the tone.

Small and cheap!

TC Electronics BAM200- it’s a tiny Class D bass amp that you can set the EQ to a flat setting with. $160 200watts

Duncan PS-170, nearly the same as above but just a generic Class D power amp with a 3-band EQ, $400 170watts

I use either to power a 2nd 2x12 if I want to do any stereo shit with my rig.

Back