Solid state power amp for W/D

I’m leaning very heavily in this direction. Will likely order one this weekend.
Great! Check out some of its features. It's got a built in limiter and EQ etc. More options on the back too.

Another similar option would be a Marshall Valvestate 8008 but they lack any of the features of the Macht.

Great! Check out some of its features. It's got a built in limiter and EQ etc. More options on the back too.

Another similar option would be a Marshall Valvestate 8008 but they lack any of the features of the Macht.
I was looking at the 8008 at well. Two things concerned me about it: no tone controls and power. Is it 80 watts per side? (I don’t know a lot about power amps at all, particularly solid state power amps.)
On the other hand, Billy Gibbons used it, and Johan Segeborn said it’s good. Both those guys know tone, imho.

I should mention that I’m planning on using the power amp in a wet/dry rig for a new band project. The main amp is an old SLO. I want to make sure whatever I use is going to be able to keep up with the SLO at stage volume, but I do want the best tone I can possibly get. If I could afford it, I’d get a Fryette 2/90/2, but I’m looking for more economical choices for now.

I should mention that I’m planning on using the power amp in a wet/dry rig for a new band project. The main amp is an old SLO. I want to make sure whatever I use is going to be able to keep up with the SLO at stage volume, but I do want the best tone I can possibly get. If I could afford it, I’d get a Fryette 2/90/2, but I’m looking for more economical choices for now.

You dont need much volume for the wet...

I was looking at the 8008 at well. Two things concerned me about it: no tone controls and power. Is it 80 watts per side? (I don’t know a lot about power amps at all, particularly solid state power amps.)
On the other hand, Billy Gibbons used it, and Johan Segeborn said it’s good. Both those guys know tone, imho.

The 8008 is 80 dual mono yes, but you're right in the fact it has alot less features. Also you get warranty and stuff with Palmer. I loved my 8008 with a JMP-1 Preamp and an ADA MP-1, but it's alot more limited. Also 8008 is heavier and longer I think.

The 8008 is 80 dual mono yes, but you're right in the fact it has alot less features. Also you get warranty and stuff with Palmer. I loved my 8008 with a JMP-1 Preamp and an ADA MP-1, but it's alot more limited. Also 8008 is heavier and longer I think.
I don’t think there’s a lot of them out there, and they’re a bit pricey, for what they are (that’s not a knock). Shows that it’s a good unit because folks still want them.

To keep in the affordable range and tried and true performance I'd say if you want a good tube power amp then any of the Peaveys are really good. The Classic 120 or Classic 60 or the Classic 50/50 that can be bought anywhere from $300-600 judging by the most recent Reverb listings.

If you want clean solid state I have already recommended the CS800 or CS800X which can be bought in working condition for $200 bucks and have 1/4" inputs and output jacks and will provide as much volume as you want and not work hard doing it.

I had a tubeworks Mosvalve power amp and it was OK it was lacking a nice low end thump. I much prefer my CS800X which provides a nice low end thump very similar to my 100 Marshall running into it's own cabinet.

Back