Some dude selling mp3 music collection on craigslist...

Stratboy151

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/1648878567.html

this kinda goes in hand with the whole discussion we were having with the scott henderson thread. this guy is selling this collection of music and movies that he most likely downloaded for free, and will make a profit on all the artists works. this is just absurd. its a whole other story if he was selling his old cd collection that obviously someone paid for at some time, and just wants to sell at a loss, but i dunno, this made me a little upset. discuss.

that is actually extremely illegal... I mean I've downloaded songs time to time but the thought of selling them has never crossed my mind, that's just way over the limit IMO

You should flag the post as "Prohibited". I think there is a link somewhere on each ad page to do that. I would guess it would get looked at and removed.

This is rediculous.

On a side note, would it be illegal if the mp3's were legitimately acquired and he sold the hard drive without keeping a copy for himself?

mysticaxe":2qzmoo18 said:
On a side note, would it be illegal if the mp3's were legitimately acquired and he sold the hard drive without keeping a copy for himself?
No........that would be the same as selling Cd's. :thumbsup:

What a idiot, funny how he puts up a phone number too, hope he gets busted for it, gonna be owing a lot more than his 50-100$ profit hes making.

Some people are just plain dumb. The only upside is the guy is probably in strong contention for next years darwin award.

Mailman1971":62d6i3t5 said:
mysticaxe":62d6i3t5 said:
No........that would be the same as selling Cd's. :thumbsup:

Are you certain about that? I think there are variables that would dictate, such as the licensing agreement of the mp3's, etc.

Not for sure....but.....
If he legally purchased them. They are his product. Media File or not. Same as a Computer game or a Music CD. As long as he didnt make copies it should be safe for him to sell them.
But how do you prove that he bought them originally? That would the tough call.
Unless he had all his purchase receipts thru Paypal or whatnot to prove it.

Mailman1971":116n1jcm said:
Not for sure....but.....
If he legally purchased them. They are his product. Media File or not. Same as a Computer game or a Music CD. As long as he didnt make copies it should be safe for him to sell them.

I think you'll find that licensing for downloads does not have same rules as store bought physical media, in fact, some software with physical media cannot be transferred either. Legally purchasing doesn't mean you own the data, it means you've been licensed to use it. The licensing agreement could potentially state that you cannot transfer, sell or otherwise provide the downloaded information to another party.

That would make sense. Since how do you prove you 'own' the file. Just the right to use it legally.

Man......just when we all thought you were known for only your sexy legs.....
You have a mind too!
:LOL: :LOL:
The Total package here!

Bob Savage":6jmgu9o1 said:
Mailman1971":6jmgu9o1 said:
Not for sure....but.....

I think you'll find that licensing for downloads does not have same rules as store bought physical media, in fact, some software with physical media cannot be transferred either. Legally purchasing doesn't mean you own the data, it means you've been licensed to use it. The licensing agreement could potentially state that you cannot transfer, sell or otherwise provide the downloaded information to another party.
Yes, plus he is advertising to do the same thing for multiple people. Way illegal. Advertising it on the Internet: Priceless!

Steve

I just emailed the link to Lars - he'll get right on it :LOL: :LOL:

220px-Lars_London_2008_crop.jpg

Bob Savage":2a7nrw9g said:

Whether you should care is another matter of course...

Bob Savage":21mngqs6 said:
duodecim":21mngqs6 said:
Whether you should care is another matter of course...

Thank you very much, Captain Obvious.

I F'n Care!!! I had to pay $99 dollars for my copy of Retrofitted, I dont want someone able to get it for less than what I paid!!!!!!
Seriously, I'd be f'n PISSED if someone was pirating my tunes and making multiple copies AND profit on it!!! :gethim: and giv'n me squat...

Gainiac":10a9ge1n said:
I F'n Care!!! I had to pay $99 dollars for my copy of Retrofitted, I dont want someone able to get it for less than what I paid!!!!!!
Seriously, I'd be f'n PISSED if someone was pirating my tunes and making multiple copies AND profit on it!!! :gethim: and giv'n me squat...

I hate to break it to you here in public but you paid $199.99 for Retrofitted, not $99, and then you tipped me $873.04. Of course you care. Nobody is questioning that.

Back