Something that sounds like a Les Paul, but isn't...

some dude

I'm looking for something that sounds like a Les Paul but with more modern ergonomics and neck. Flatter neck radius, no/minimal heel for improved upper fret access, belly cut.

Doesn't have to be Les Paul shaped although that would be a bonus as I like Les Pauls.

Not interested in any sort of super strat or pointy guitars.

Carvin carved top maybe? Uses a similar design, similar woods, but you can get a flatter radius.

Also, a similar sounding guitar...a Jackson Dominion. Mahogany body/neck, chambered body, quilt maple cap, 2 hums, 4 knobs, plus you get a compound radius and coil taps. Very versatile. I've owned 4 of them.

Oh yeah, the Carvin single cuts look very nice as well and can be had for a good discount on ebay or Carvin's ready for shipment section.

one of the new wolfgang's.

LP style switch layout, thicker than a normal guitar, compound radius frets/smaller than normal. a mix of a strat/LP style neck.

its what i would recommend. i want another one - they are tone beasts.

6string40":2m5uxg2f said:
Also, a similar sounding guitar...a Jackson Dominion.

Does it have a straight neck (like a Fender) or an angled neck (like a Les Paul)?

glpg80":2m5uxg2f said:

Basswood body and a 25.5" neck?

psychodave":2ygbi2fy said:
Digital Jams":2ygbi2fy said:
Well you pretty much nailed a PRS single cut with what you want.
Too bad the neck heel is so fucking big on all PRS guitars :thumbsdown: That's the only thing that keeps me from buying one. :LOL: :LOL:

I never had an issue with it. If you can deal with the blocky heel of a Charvel than a PRS i think shouldn't bother you.

But PRS guitars vary a lot from each, some sound really really good and some are duds. I'm telling you, Ivan has a nack of sniffing out the good one's.

some dude":1mor2536 said:
6string40":1mor2536 said:
Also, a similar sounding guitar...a Jackson Dominion.

Does it have a straight neck (like a Fender) or an angled neck (like a Les Paul)?

glpg80":1mor2536 said:

Basswood body and a 25.5" neck?

the old peavey wolfgang specials have solid basswood bodies. the new wolfgangs are mahogany with maple top, and i believe the older peavey wolfgangs are basswood with maple tops. i know all of the specials are basswood though because i owned one. if you're looking for a basswood guitar they dent really easy. they are all indeed 25.5" scale - the necks are just tucked into the body in a manner that makes them look smaller than what they really are.

IMHO it seems like the exact guitar you are describing. they are [erfect to play live and standing up, very comfortable guitars.

danyeo":1ijdtf4f said:
psychodave":1ijdtf4f said:
Digital Jams":1ijdtf4f said:
Too bad the neck heel is so fucking big on all PRS guitars :thumbsdown: That's the only thing that keeps me from buying one. :LOL: :LOL:

I never had an issue with it. If you can deal with the blocky heel of a Charvel than a PRS i think shouldn't bother you.

But PRS guitars vary a lot from each, some sound really really good and some are duds. I'm telling you, Ivan has a nack of sniffing out the good one's.

How about posting that sexy Joe Jonus pic of you playing yours in a tux big boy :inlove: :inlove:

Pretty much any mahogany body guitar with any thickness and some good humbuckers...unless you are looking for that p90 sound. Hamer has some good ones out there. PRS started a company for that very reason. His very first guitars were LP Jr copies. Then he added in the Strat dimensions and settled on something in between. Tom Anderson has the Cobra line. I love his Cobra S. There are tons of ways to get you there.

http://www.andersonguitars.com/product_ ... s_over.cfm

Digital Jams":ogthixoj said:
danyeo":ogthixoj said:
psychodave":ogthixoj said:
Digital Jams":ogthixoj said:

How about posting that sexy Joe Jonus pic of you playing yours in a tux big boy :inlove: :inlove:

Although, i don't know what i was thinking sporting that hair chop at that point in my life. :LOL: :LOL:

Picture012.jpg

Back