Speakers for a "BIG" 2x12 sound

I recently threw a pair of H75 8 ohm speakers in a Mesa 2x12 and I’m LOVING it. I’ve pretty much always came back to vintage 30s, but these H75s are serialist doing the trick for me as a lead guitarist. They honestly have a hollow kinda feel in the mids when playing solo, but as soon as you’re in the room with another guitarist cut like a knife. I feel like I don’t even need my volume boost in the loop anymore to be heard. The other guitarist in the band is using a 2x12 with vintage 30s. Together seems like a great pairing. An sm57 alone on these h75s sounds so damn good. Just fills out those mids missing to the naked ear, and fits so perfectly without much to EQ. I haven’t been so immediately impressed with a speaker in years.

I agree with the 4x12 comments but I do have one 2x12 open-back I use with my old BF Bassman and it has a EV 12L and a Celestion H75 Creamback (both 8 ohm for 4 ohm total). It sounds about as big as a 2x12 can sound. I've had other 2x12 inlcuding a really nice Stone Age oversized but this particular 2x12 (which is built more like an old Fender combo, not thick and stout) just beat everything except the 4x12s.

I have a Peavey 2x12 cab built in the 80's. It came with G12K-85. I replaced the upper speaker with a Mesa Vintage 30 about six months ago. The other G12K-85 went in my Mark IV combo. I really like this configuration.

I'm thinking about putting a pair of EVM12L in the 2x12.

Putting the G12K-85 in the bottom of a 4x12 with Marshall Vintage 30 on top.

I think 2x12 cabs sound fine. But they are going to sound like a 2x12 no matter what you do. The particular cab and speaker is going to be critical to getting the results you want.

My stock Engl PRO E212VHB cabs are loaded with V30. Lots of low end IMO, they sound huge for 2x12.

I agree with the 4x12 comments but I do have one 2x12 open-back I use with my old BF Bassman and it has a EV 12L and a Celestion H75 Creamback (both 8 ohm for 4 ohm total). It sounds about as big as a 2x12 can sound. I've had other 2x12 inlcuding a really nice Stone Age oversized but this particular 2x12 (which is built more like an old Fender combo, not thick and stout) just beat everything except the 4x12s.
This.
Any 212 with one or two EV12Ls will sound monstrous.

my Splawn 2X12 has Scumback M75/J75 combo in it and it sounds massive, I gig with it all the time.
Get an oversized cab , it makes a big difference

Back