stereo power amp, only need one channel, how?

RG955TT

Just curious, on a stereo power amp if I oly want to use one channel how can I do this? I was always under the impression that i HAD to have a speaker on each output even if one of them was turned down....is there a safe for sure way to do this? Thanks

SDMF38":1zltj7zf said:
Depends on who is the manufacturer of the power amp.
Fryette will let you keep one on standby.
Some will let you bridge to mono.

Check the specs, it's not too uncommon a query.

I have a Mesa Stereo 2:Fifty, it says if you want to run Mono, just turn the volume all the way down on one side and it won't damage it running no load.

Also have a 2:50 and I've run it mono on a couple of occasions by turning the unused channel to zero. Manual for this also states the exact same thing.

This is a simul 395 mesa, not sure how that should work, hate to find out the hard way and burn up the transformer

I would think it would be addressed in the manual. If not, I'd just give Mesa a call and talk to a tech to make sure.

For a typical Mesa or VHT power amp, can you pull the tubes from the side you are not using to save wear?

From the manual:

• PARALLELED 1/4” INPUT FOR "MONO" OPERATION.

And/or this:

• INDIVIDUAL "STANDBY" SWITCH FOR EACH CHANNEL.

I'd still call Mesa and find out the best way to run it.

You can run just one side of a stereo power amp by keeping the unused channel on standby but, I always have a speaker load
because safe always beats sorry in my book no accidentally turning that channel on with no load and frying your amp.

I use to run a Mesa 50/50 mono and just pulled the output tubes from the one side and kept the volume all the way down. Never a problem and would occasionally reinstall the tubes and use it stereo...

As most of said, you will be fine if you have the volume all the way down. If applicable, you should also turn the presence all the way up on the channel you are not using as well.

a treu stereo power has two seperate sides so if you use only one you are supplying the other side with no signal. true stereo power amps have two ins and two outs. if you dont use an IN you have no worries regarding the OUT. most of them have mone stereo switches. even my cheapie alesis has that.

Back