strat neck-pickup tones from a PRS?

iplayloudly

First of all, I already own a strat, and love the neck position tones I get from it. I also own a PRS custom 22. I much prefer the feel of the PRS, but prefer the tones from the strat in most circumstances. Are there any PRS's out there that could get a similar tone to a strat neck position?

I've read a little about the PRS Studio, which used to come with an HSS configuration, and may sound similar, but I can't find any online demos of it. The newer ones come with mini humbuckers, and the videos online do sound a little similar to a strat, but I'd like some feedback from someone who has owned one (and a strat) that can compare.

thisguy":rfx6t3f9 said:
The PRS probably has a 25" scale length which isn't going to help with getting a true strat sound.

Are all PRS's 25"? I'm asking if there is one out there that will get me a similar tone. I'm not asking how to make my custom 22 sound like a strat.

The DC3 and NF3 were both 25.25 scale. And the only ones that have a 25.5 scale are the Holcombs, Lowery SE and the new Tremonti coming out if I remember correctly.

OP the discontinued EG series will get you real close...look for a used one they came SSS or HSS they even look like strats....

This may or may not help...the VHII bridge pup in my PRS CU24 sounds kinda strat-like to me. I know you're looking for a neck pup, though. I've heard that Anderson pickups split really well, if you want to try that route. I really think that the only way to get strat like tones out of a PRS is to get a model that's top routed and has a pickgaurd. You could buy a true single coil, get some pickgaurd material, and, using the old pickgaurd as a template, cut out a new one except with a single coil in the neck.

Mr. Willy":380073ca said:
This may or may not help...the VHII bridge pup in my PRS CU24 sounds kinda strat-like to me. I know you're looking for a neck pup, though. I've heard that Anderson pickups split really well, if you want to try that route. I really think that the only way to get strat like tones out of a PRS is to get a model that's top routed and has a pickgaurd. You could buy a true single coil, get some pickgaurd material, and, using the old pickgaurd as a template, cut out a new one except with a single coil in the neck.

I use to have a PRS CE24 with Tom Anderson's. I was using the ol' Billy Howerdel setup, H3+ Bridge/H1- Neck set. Split sounds were very cool and pretty close to stratty.

Back