Suhr Govan Alternative? Carvin maybe...?

sebby123

So i love the sound feel and everything about the Suhr Guthrie Govan model except the fact that theres no way in hell i can afford a 4k guitar. My price limit is 1300$ ive been tossing about the idea about maying building a musikraft or warmoth replica of it but i just noticed i can make a very convincing replica of it with a carvin countour. It will be extremly close to the Suhr version, Same scale length, Hondrous mahogany, ebony instead of Pau ferro ,4A maple top of course Suhr uses 5A, Very similar body shape thickness, fret size etc.anyways it will come about to about 1350$. Im curious if it will sound similar? of course im comparing epi vs gibson basically but all in all what are you guys thoughts on carvins the only other strat playing mahogany maple top guitar i can think of is PRS but those start getting pricey and have the funky 25" scale length.

heres a pic of some carvin contours i think they look great! :thumbsup:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/isa/proces ... ?model=c66

To me, the weak points of Carvin has always been the stock guitar pickups and the resale value.

I`ve owned both a Carvin bass and a guitar, and most everything was top notch.

I got the bass new, and the (7-string) guitar 2nd hand.
Nice workmanship (not 4000$-nice, but that`s why it`s cheaper)

Both were solid, great players.

ke2":mkeylny7 said:
To me, the weak points of Carvin has always been the stock guitar pickups and the resale value.

I was planning on replacing the pickups right away :thumbsup:

sebby123":jg6eok23 said:
ke2":jg6eok23 said:

The DC 727 became a very different animal with av EVO7 in it.
The stock pu is anemic, anonymous and too polite :D

I've own several Carvins and love them. I don't flip guitars and gear like a lot of people so resale doesn't matter to me. The Carvin guitars play better than any of my Gibson, Jackson or other guitars and I custom order what I want and how I want it at a third of the cost. The workmanship is excellent and the materials are top notch. The pick ups suck but that is easily remedied.

If your a gear flipper buy some thing esle, if you keep you gear you can't go wrong.
My opinion

craftm1":rt04pwkm said:
I've own several Carvins and love them. I don't flip guitars and gear like a lot of people so resale doesn't matter to me. The Carvin guitars play better than any of my Gibson, Jackson or other guitars and I custom order what I want and how I want it at a third of the cost. The workmanship is excellent and the materials are top notch. The pick ups suck but that is easily remedied.

If your a gear flipper buy some thing esle, if you keep you gear you can't go wrong.
My opinion

I flip Amps not guitars :thumbsup:

I would say a Carvin would be the most bang for the buck. I bet there are a few Ibanez prestige or custom shop models that would hang. Personally I'd love to find an old RP540.

sebby123":3cq7i6pr said:
ke2":3cq7i6pr said:

I had a Carvin Bolt-T and I thought the Carvin pickups sounded awesome.

I would build a Warmoth or USACG version of it over a Carvin you should be able to get it super close to the GG model, and with a little fretwork if necessary you should have a top notch axe. 4k for a bolt on guitar is a bit ridiculous imo.

I would not hesitate to go the Carvin route. Personally, I prefer their neck-thru guitars to their bolt-ons. The pickups are not very good, even the single coils. They don't sound bad, until you put something really good in.

their resale value is not as bad as many claim. It used to be pretty bad, but not so much now.

My Carvin TL60 is just killer! Put in a set of Rio Grande pickups...done!

If you get a Carvin C66
or Boltplus in Mahogany with H-S-H and three mini switches to coil cut the two humbuckers and a " bridge on" switch.

Carvin uses the same frets as Suhr, Jescar in either stainless or nickel, and the 14" Radius fingerboard feels similar to the compound 12" -14 " compound radius on the Suhrs.

You may need to change pickups to get even closer but the Carvins have lots of resonance, bottom end and sustain especially in Koa or Mahogany.

The angle headstock onthe Carvins has some advantages as well.

I believe the GG Sig model is set neck , which the Carvin is not but the Carvin fatness will put you in the ballpark of the GG Tonewise,( meaning you'll have lots of resonanceand with same pickups as GG, you will be very very close ) and they have really precision fretwork and tight neck pockets etc.

suhr is planning a Govan rasmus model (as well as some other pretty cool models ;) ) you could get one of those for a sub $1000 price and have 3-400 bucks left over.

just a thought :thumbsup:

A Wood

van hellion":2i591122 said:
suhr is planning a Govan rasmus model (as well as some other pretty cool models ;) ) you could get one of those for a sub $1000 price and have 3-400 bucks left over.

just a thought :thumbsup:

A Wood

Now that is something worth waiting for :thumbsup: :rock:

The big titty question is going to be, how good will the Rasmus fit/finish/feel be.... I don't mind spending 1500-1800 on a used sweet Suhr. To spend 900 on a second tier knockoff that sounds and feels second rate will not be a good experience. Is it going to be another Schecter? They are cheap and good quality for the <$$.

Back