Talk me in to/out of a Jubilee 100

Does the 20 watt have the balls? Is any sort of clean headroom possible? Or will I just be wishing I went all in on the 100?
It's loud. But as I would say to anyone expecting gobs of clean headroom from a 20 watt amp, (not just the Marshalls) you're barking up the wrong tree. But, it's loud as shit for home use.

That's the misgiving for me with the 2525, is that 20w from a pair of EL34s just doesn't ring right to me, lol. On the other hand, it seems like they put a lot of thought into how to accomplish that without compromising the end result too much. I'm sure using a greeback instead of a vintage 30 is part of that.

I'd be more inclined to get a 2555 though. If I wanted a (slightly) lower watt combo, I'd just have Ceriatone build their 2550 in a 1x12 combo.

Messed around tonight with cranking the lead master and using output master for overall volume. I think I liked that better than the other way around.

It’s a good amp just wish it was a tad more modern sounding than my 2204. It’s very sensitive to volume and EQ changes so I need to hear it with a drummer and bass at legit levels again.

Messed around tonight with cranking the lead master and using output master for overall volume. I think I liked that better than the other way around.

It’s a good amp just wish it was a tad more modern sounding than my 2204. It’s very sensitive to volume and EQ changes so I need to hear it with a drummer and bass at legit levels again.
Huh? The Jubilee is the epitome of a more modern 800. Sure, it still sounds like a Marshall, but it's definitely a modern take.

Huh? The Jubilee is the epitome of a more modern 800. Sure, it still sounds like a Marshall, but it's definitely a modern take.
Slightly yes but not as much as I was hoping for. I think I like my 800 with a pedal more than the Jub straight in.

I think I’d really like my 2204 with the hot mod to get that more modded Marshall thing.

That’s how you do it. 👍
The rhythm clip sucks….

I was told years ago that the rhythm clip switch was inactive on the lead channel. Doesn't sound like it does anything to me. But it doesn't suck! Switch to the rhythm channel, gain on 8 with rhythm clip on and the master at least 5 and you've got a great hot plexi, AC/DC tone.

I was told years ago that the rhythm clip switch was inactive on the lead channel. Doesn't sound like it does anything to me. But it doesn't suck! Switch to the rhythm channel, gain on 8 with rhythm clip on and the master at least 5 and you've got a great hot plexi, AC/DC tone.
In the OG ones I owned, it did affect the lead channel. It was slight and I preferred the lead channel without it. But that was also using down tuned Les Paul’s. How that would be with an A440 Super Strat could be a whole different ball of wax.

Slightly yes but not as much as I was hoping for. I think I like my 800 with a pedal more than the Jub straight in.

I think I’d really like my 2204 with the hot mod to get that more modded Marshall thing.
Boost it! Don't shy away from boosting a Jubilee; like most Marshalls they are built for it. Yes, they have a touch more gain than a 2203/4 but they aren't a high gain amp straight in.
All the Jubilees I've owned were all boosted; sometimes double boosted. And they liked it. :giggle:

Pulling the clip gives a Jose Master effect; lowers the vol slightly and adds a touch of gain. But I liked it without the clip engaged. It does work on both channels.

Boost it! Don't shy away from boosting a Jubilee; like most Marshalls they are built for it. Yes, they have a touch more gain than a 2203/4 but they aren't a high gain amp straight in.
All the Jubilees I've owned were all boosted; sometimes double boosted. And they liked it. :giggle:
Definitely!

Man, this “3 MASTER VOLUMES” stuff is nutty. You can just say that you need to dial the amp in and to pay attention to those 3 knobs, but they sure as hell aren’t master volumes. Shit the one control isn’t even in the circuit when you’re on the rhythm channel.

Input gain is preamp gain. It’s located right after the first tube gain stage exactly like 5000 other amps. It certainly is not a “volume” control unless we want to go around calling every gain control on every amp a volume control now.

Lead Master is located immediately after the diodes between tube stages 2 and 3. It’s a channel volume control - it controls the volume of the lead channel, and only the lead channel. It does nothing whatsoever while you have the rhythm channel engaged, regardless of whether the rhythm clip is pulled or not.

Output Master is the one singular “Master Volume” on this amp. It is located after the tone stack but before the PI and controls the overall volume of both channels on the amp.

Sorry, not trying to start shit, but this kind of crap spawns internet rumors that last forever. Some kid will google this and skim the post and start repeating that Jubilees have 3 master volumes. Stop allowing BS to propagate.

—-
I do agree to buy the 100w version though. Just pull two power tubes if you want it a little quieter. I don’t see the point of the 2525, running two el34’s in suboptimal conditions to squeeze down to a 20w rating for the sake of marketing. But I’m not a lunchbox amp guy in general so maybe I just don’t get it.

Man, this “3 MASTER VOLUMES” stuff is nutty. You can just say that you need to dial the amp in and to pay attention to those 3 knobs, but they sure as hell aren’t master volumes. Shit the one control isn’t even in the circuit when you’re on the rhythm channel.

Input gain is preamp gain. It’s located right after the first tube gain stage exactly like 5000 other amps. It certainly is not a “volume” control unless we want to go around calling every gain control on every amp a volume control now.

Lead Master is located immediately after the diodes between tube stages 2 and 3. It’s a channel volume control - it controls the volume of the lead channel, and only the lead channel. It does nothing whatsoever while you have the rhythm channel engaged, regardless of whether the rhythm clip is pulled or not.

Output Master is the one singular “Master Volume” on this amp. It is located after the tone stack but before the PI and controls the overall volume of both channels on the amp.

Sorry, not trying to start shit, but this kind of crap spawns internet rumors that last forever. Some kid will google this and skim the post and start repeating that Jubilees have 3 master volumes. Stop allowing BS to propagate.

—-
I do agree to buy the 100w version though. Just pull two power tubes if you want it a little quieter. I don’t see the point of the 2525, running two el34’s in suboptimal conditions to squeeze down to a 20w rating for the sake of marketing. But I’m not a lunchbox amp guy in general so maybe I just don’t get it.
They all interact and can function as master volumes. FACT.

Do you own a Jubilee?

Simplified version : Anyone who has a Jubilee, or heck...go try it out at a shop if you have to...can easily prove what I say is true: very easy.....set everything at noon....then turn down output master...vol drops. Turn down lead master while on od.....vol drops. Turn down input gain while on clean....vol drops.

There us a bunch of other interactions that some of us covered already, but I will let the 3 masters sink in first.

Last edited:
So what is technically going on when the input gain knob is pulled out ?
Shitting of the bed imho.

Introduces diodes to the clean channel....which obviously gives it a distortion and lowers volume somewhat....I guess some folks like it....I cannot stand it and simply do not use it.

Shitting of the bed imho.

Introduces diodes to the clean channel....which obviously gives it a distortion and lowers volume somewhat....I guess some folks like it....I cannot stand it and simply do not use it.
What about on the lead channel?

I usually like it out for the lead channel. Seems to tighten things up and make it more percussive

What about on the lead channel?

I usually like it out for the lead channel. Seems to tighten things up and make it more percussive
I don't use rhythm clip at all. Feel no need to.

I usually run a boost or 2 out front.

If you enjoy the rhythm clip, then great, it is there for all who do.

They all interact and can function as master volumes. FACT.

Do you own a Jubilee?

Simplified version : Anyone who has a Jubilee, or heck...go try it out at a shop if you have to...can easily prove what I say is true: very easy.....set everything at noon....then turn down output master...vol drops. Turn down lead master while on od.....vol drops. Turn down input gain while on clean....vol drops.

There us a bunch of other interactions that some of us covered already, but I will let the 3 masters sink in first.
You’re having a real hard time understanding the use of the word Master aren’t you.

Back