Talkin' Blues, Rhythm and Blues, and Blues-Rock

VonBonfire

I thought it would be good to have a blues, rhythm and blues, and blues-rock music, gear, and stories thread since the forum is often oriented towards heavier stuff and I know there are at least a few guys kicking around who appreciate it and have some sweet licks in their git-tar repertoire. So calling @JohnnyGtar @SteveGlitch @John4021 and others. Everybody is welcome c'mon. It'd be nice if guys could keep it to one video per post so I can process everything I haven't heard before. I am always excited to hear new stuff.

I think I'm going to kick it off with some Snooks Eaglin. How about the clean tone on that tele? George Porter on bass. Sweet group!

I had no idea that Santana was on guitar when I heard this. He really kicked ass.

Notice the socks that John's wearing. He had a ton of 'em. He wore star socks every day.

Last edited:
One of the best blues ever written. Not your standard 12 bar tune. I've never heard a blues tune with these chord progressions.

Their performance here is sublime. Studio version.

I thought it would be good to have a blues, rhythm and blues, and blues-rock music, gear, and stories thread since the forum is often oriented towards heavier stuff and I know there are at least a few guys kicking around who appreciate it and have some sweet licks in their git-tar repertoire. So calling @JohnnyGtar @SteveGlitch @John4021 and others. Everybody is welcome c'mon. It'd be nice if guys could keep it to one video per post so I can process everything I haven't heard before. I am always excited to hear new stuff.

I think I'm going to kick it off with some Snooks Eaglin. How about the clean tone on that tele? George Porter on bass. Sweet group!

Oh HELL yeah! This is exactly the kind of performance that gets me goin'. It's FUN! That guy should have been playin' arenas. He can really throw down! Great band, too. Pocket central! I just became a fan. He plays his ass off and his tone here is a perfect example of why the Tele is one of the greatest guitars ever made. Do you know what amp he used? Now I'm gonna go down the rabbit hole of this guys music. Thanks @VonBonfire!

Last edited:
Oh HELL yeah! This is exactly the kind of performance that I gets me goin'. It's FUN! That guy should have been playin' arenas. He can really throw down! Great band, too. Pocket central! I just became a fan. He plays his ass off and his tone here is a perfect example of why the Tele is one of the greatest guitars ever made. Do you know what amp he used? Now I'm gonna go down the rabbit hole of this guys music. Thanks @VonBonfire!
The Santana/John Lee Hooker was great. A lot of people don't realize that back in the Haight Ashbury days before there was Santana there was the "Santana Blues Band".

And the Zep studio clip....is there a drummer who has more of a signature sound to his drums than Bonham? I seriously doubt it. I could've identified that if there were no other instruments on the recording and I am not a rock or big Led Zep guy either.

As for Snooks Eaglin getting wider recognition.....I think the deal was he never toured for fear of losing his social security or welfare, since he was legally blind. So he just played around New Orleans mostly. Supposedly there was a bowling alley he regularly played IIRC. According to wikipedia he claims to have known 2500 songs by heart. To me that sounds like a story a bluesman would tell but not so sure if it's reality, lol. He did a lot of acoustic stuff prior to playing electric so it's possible he knew many hundreds of songs. He has a wider repertoire than just straight blues that you'll see if you go digging.

Up next....the great Lucky Peterson. A Texas and Florida man. His dad was James Peterson, who owned a blues club in Buffalo NY. Lucky got to hit the stage with many blues legends before he was even middle school age. Not only is he a smoking blues guitar and vocal but he was also a pretty ripping B3 player. James used to hang out at Mahuffer's, the "wurst place on the beach" in Indian Shores all the time so once in while Lucky would show up to the blues jam there. Not sure if people know what it takes to play blues at this level here. Dude absolutely rips it.

I used to go see a Flame thrown guitar player Jake Banta. This guy was the 2nd coming of Stevie Ray.
Used to use like a 40-foot cable. Walk through the crown. Hopped up on tables. Walked the bar. Played with his teeth/behind his back(AKA Jimi)
A buddy I was in the Marine Corps with 50 yrs ago was his drummer.
Good times.

This was a revamped band (member wise) That I never seen. His solos around the 2:40 mark

I used to go see a Flame thrown guitar player Jake Banta. This guy was the 2nd coming of Stevie Ray.
Used to use like a 40-foot cable. Walk through the crown. Hopped up on tables. Walked the bar. Played with his teeth/behind his back(AKA Jimi)
A buddy I was in the Marine Corps with 50 yrs ago was his drummer.
Good times.

This was a revamped band (member wise) That I never seen. His solos around the 2:40 mark

Sounding good! I just googled that name.....is this the same guy who wikipedia says was a Navy Seal and now a House Rep in Pennsylvania? Thats kinda wild if true. Looks pretty similar but dude's hat and glasses are kind of obscuring a positive I.D.

Yup, he was a Seal Built like a brick shit house. Woman loved him.
There is not much I could find video wise . But there is another video of that same fest,but it's like 27 mins long.
He does a Dobro tune and his behind the back and teeth pickin in that one.

Thats him alright. I didnt know he was a state rep...crazy:cheers:

This one always gets my foot tappin'.

Live

Studio

Little Milton! One of the greats. Good cut, the wife was liking it. If you are in a Texas blues band and play three songs in a row and one of 'em ain't a shuffle you might not have a gig there again.

This is my favorite Little Milton:

Yup, he was a Seal Built like a brick shit house. Woman loved him.
There is not much I could find video wise . But there is another video of that same fest,but it's like 27 mins long.
He does a Dobro tune and his behind the back and teeth pickin in that one.

Thats him alright. I didnt know he was a state rep...crazy:cheers:
Dude could cover security detail at his own shows, lol. What a badass.

I wanna take some lesser known roads here. This is Shuggie Oits, the son of RnB bandleader Johnny Otis. He did some work on one of the Al Kooper/Mike Bloomfield Super Sessions. You gotta love that name. Shuggie, short for Sugar, lol. I like to cover this one with my own group:

People talk about Chicago blues and the names associated but I never hear this name brought up. Perhaps because he was the original big name Chicago Bluesman going back almost a hundred years. His house was the first stop in town for a lot of guys coming up from the Delta and elsewhere or so I read. You didn't get a gold plated National Tricone with your name engraved on it if you were a nobody in the 1920s. There is a whole history around that guitar, as it was lost for about 50 years in someone's chicken coop and is now in the Experience Hendrix Museum supposedly. The great Tampa Red:

Perhaps even more interesting was his work doing "Hokum", which was pretty risque stuff for the time i.e "tight like that", with Georgia Tom, who later became know by his real name Thomas Dorsey, who went on to legend status with his gospel compositions.

Back