Tell me all about the framus cobra

They can sound good... but are built poorly... and are really picky about speakers/pickups. The notch button is a super-mid scoop. I'd only buy one super cheap, from a place with a liberal return policy. There's also 3 versions of them out there.

Wizard of Ozz":10vz920a said:
They can sound good... but are built poorly... and are really picky about speakers/pickups. The notch button is a super-mid scoop. I'd only buy one super cheap, from a place with a liberal return policy. There's also 3 versions of them out there.

It's at Gc for 1099
I have $500 Gc bux.
That a good deal to you?

1 month return policy

I picked mine up, mint, for $800. I think $800-$1000 is the going rate these days. It's crazy because they commanded $1600 back in the day. It's a freakin steal at $800 to me anyway.

The notch switch is fucking useless. :LOL: :LOL: I don't know how anyone at Framus could have thought that was a good idea. They should have made it a bright switch or anything but that crap.

LunatiBSW":2vh954pb said:
Wizard of Ozz":2vh954pb said:

It's at Gc for 1099
I have $500 Gc bux.
That a good deal to you?

1 month return policy

I'd offer $800-$900... when they tell you they can't haggle prices, tell them how long its been sitting there, and the longer it sits there they lower they'll have to drop the price. Also ask for the Store Manager who can/will drop the price $100-$200 in order to make the sale. $1100 is a bit too high.

Gsxrbusa":7fz7cmzd said:
I picked mine up, mint, for $800. I think $800-$1000 is the going rate these days. It's crazy because they commanded $1600 back in the day. It's a freakin steal at $800 to me anyway.

The notch switch is fucking useless. :LOL: :LOL: I don't know how anyone at Framus could have thought that was a good idea. They should have made it a bright switch or anything but that crap.

But it's soooo metal!!! :doh:

I remember when KSE were using these before switching back to Rectos and every kid and his neighbor dug them for like 5 seconds.

How has yours held up?

Wizard of Ozz":2opnxw10 said:
Gsxrbusa":2opnxw10 said:

I remember when KSE were using these before switching back to Rectos and every kid and his neighbor dug them for like 5 seconds.

How has yours held up?

Yeah, they were super popular for a minute. I do really dig this tone though. The mids are different than any amp I own or have owned.

I haven't had any issues with either of the two I own/owned. Ran KT88s in both. I like what those tubes do to that amp. Maybe I got lucky. But the same thing could be said about Engl build quality as well. I've had my fair share of problems with Engl.

Gsxrbusa":1kg4zro0 said:
Wizard of Ozz":1kg4zro0 said:
Gsxrbusa":1kg4zro0 said:

How has yours held up?

Yeah, they were super popular for a minute. I do really dig this tone though. The mids are different than any amp I own or have owned.

I haven't had any issues with either of the two I own/owned. Ran KT88s in both. I like what those tubes do to that amp. Maybe I got lucky. But the same thing could be said about Engl build quality as well. I've had my fair share of problems with Engl.

Really? Which Engl models if I may ask? Just out of curiosity...

... but I know what you mean. ;)

Wizard of Ozz":1izk4wq9 said:
Gsxrbusa":1izk4wq9 said:
Wizard of Ozz":1izk4wq9 said:
Gsxrbusa":1izk4wq9 said:

How has yours held up?

Really? Which Engl models if I may ask? Just out of curiosity...

... but I know what you mean. ;)

Had an SE that had an FX loop problem and an Invader 150 that would cut out.

Gsxrbusa":3jb18x0m said:
I love my Cobra. This is my second one. Love the nasty tone this beast makes. I run the loop at noon for optimal tone. I agree that it needs the matching cab or at least greenbacks to be ideal. Not to mention it looks cool. :)

It's the perfect toaster oven for metal! :D

-BAD ASS MAN CAVE!!!-

-I really like the voicing on the Dragon and Cobra, I've almost pulled the trigger a dozen times, I could care less about cosmetic QC, but back in there "1 minute" of fame the build QC was floating around, I didn't know there were 3 versions, good info

there's nothing wrong with the internal build quality, only the external finish
that paint is terrible and gets stained easily
the courvin is thin and fragile, but no different than a vox or something
the dragon seems to have a better panel finish
the circuits are pretty similiar
both are soldano based with a cranked depth and a much tighter and drier sounding tonestack
I eventually had mine modded for a regular marshall eq on the lead channel just for a while and that made it sound a lot like a rectifier, but with mids

LunatiBSW":2pegwv3r said:
Heard it's a beast?
Who has experience with one? Heard the loops are iffy? What's that about? do they suck or just like line level?
Found a good condition one I may score.

Thanks guys

It's been a long while since I had my Cobra, but I do remember I had to solder a capacitor back onto the board. I heard something dinking around in the amp when I'd move it so I cracked it open. Low and behold, a capacitor (my recollection anyway) had fallen off the board. I soldered it back onto the board and no further problems. I just don't trust their build quality and never looked back.

Based upon what you currently have in your arsenal, I'd pass. I really don't see how a Cobra is going to unseat a Diezel and/or a Friedman.

dooredge":4r9fumsx said:
LunatiBSW":4r9fumsx said:
Heard it's a beast?
Who has experience with one? Heard the loops are iffy? What's that about? do they suck or just like line level?

Thanks guys

It's been a long while since I had my Cobra, but I do remember I had to solder a capacitor back onto the board. I heard something dinking around in the amp when I'd move it so I cracked it open. Low and behold, a capacitor (my recollection anyway) had fallen off the board. I soldered it back onto the board and no further problems. I just don't trust their build quality and never looked back.

Based upon what you currently have in your arsenal, I'd pass. I really don't see how a Cobra is going to unseat a Diezel and/or a Friedman.
Agreed. I was disappointed when I tried the Cobra. It's one of those amps that sounds processed/artificial to my ears no matter how you set it. I remember actually really liking it's clean channel though

LunatiBSW":35rkg4al said:
Wizard of Ozz":35rkg4al said:

It's at Gc for 1099
I have $500 Gc bux.
That a good deal to you?

1 month return policy
Actually it's a 45 day return policy on used items as well.

sg guy":vgbigby5 said:
Gsxrbusa":vgbigby5 said:
I love my Cobra. This is my second one. Love the nasty tone this beast makes. I run the loop at noon for optimal tone. I agree that it needs the matching cab or at least greenbacks to be ideal. Not to mention it looks cool. :)

It's the perfect toaster oven for metal! :D

-BAD ASS MAN CAVE!!!-

-I really like the voicing on the Dragon and Cobra, I've almost pulled the trigger a dozen times, I could care less about cosmetic QC, but back in there "1 minute" of fame the build QC was floating around, I didn't know there were 3 versions, good info

Thank you fine sir!

LunatiBSW":vgbigby5 said:
Ahhh thanks good to know. I'll leave the amp on for a week to make sure it's working right. Hahahah

Did you end up picking one up bro?

I wound up going with the vht pitbull cl50, seemed more diff from my current lineup. If I don't like it cobra will prob b next, they have it at the store, so I'll prob try it when I pick up the vht

I made a Framus/Warwick factory tour some years ago and was very impressed. After that I could never understand their decisions to spare on what is already cheap - chassis and alike. Their build quality is top notch guitar and bass wise. Amp wise, while the electronics are good (in some cases just not more than ok) their chassis suck :thumbsdown: Love the Framus dragon, a great all round amp and the cobra is a metal beast.

quote="dooredge"]
LunatiBSW":1bdhta5l said:
Heard it's a beast?
Who has experience with one? Heard the loops are iffy? What's by that about? do they suck or just like line level?

Thanks guys

Based upon what you currently have in your arsenal, I'd pass. I really don't see how a Cobra is going to unseat a Diezel and/or a Friedman.[/quoteI
It won't "unseat" a Diesel or a Friedman, but a boosted Cobra with the right cabinet will hang with those amps all day long, while giving you a totally different flavor. And for the price of a Cobra next to those amps, it's a no brainer.

Back