Tell me which clip you like better!

thiswaythatway

Ok. I have 2 modelers here that i made 2 quick clips of. I used similiar settings for each one as far as amp model, cab, and tone settings. They sound sooo different. And i tried to tweak them to sound similiar but each one just has it's own feel IMHO. And believe it or not, the mid control on each clip is set at about the same spot.

So far i have a clear favorite and i have been tweaking the crap out of the other one to make it sound similiar, but i can't. Anyway, these are just 2 very basic rock riffs of the top of my head.

Timing is all fucked up but try to ignore that.
http://www.musicv2.com/stream.php?id=26605

http://www.musicv2.com/stream.php?id=26606

I like the second one better. The first one sounds too whoofy and just too overpowering (and somewhat scooped) to me. If the second clip is a PODxt, I'd like to have the settings.

You are sooooooooooooooo not metal :p

Honestly I would want some more presence dialed in on 1 or more lows on 2. As it stands I think 1 would get buried in a mix.

If the first one was less boomy sounding, it would be the clear winner IMO. The second clip sounds very thin to me.

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":c1197 said:
You can tell which is which by the title of the track. :) The first one must be a Johnson J-Station and the second a POD?

The POD sounds MUCH better to me and more realistic. Like you, I've managed to get KILLER recorded tones with a POD XT. I see people bitching about them all the time, but the truth is that they're killer!

There are guys that have said they cannot even practice with a POD because they sound so bad :LOL: They have to have tubes :?

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":7b9f5 said:
>|<>QBB<

Those guys are stupid. Anyone that makes comments like that has no clue about anything!

+1

Modellers are fun, and even though they dont have the same feel and sound as tubes.. they are still more than good enough to practice or play gigs with!!

I like the J Station clip better. It's a bit dark sounding if anything, but I love the growl it has,

>|<>QBB<
MrDan666":ae53b said:
>|<>QBB<

+1

Modellers are fun, and even though they dont have the same feel and sound as tubes.. they are still more than good enough to practice or play gigs with!!

I listen to this stuff and really wonder if they enjoy playing guitar :? I will say that I will not use a modeler for extended periods, seems my chops get from bad to very bad when I jump back onto a tube amp.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":7d276 said:
>|<>QBB<

I listen to this stuff and really wonder if they enjoy playing guitar :? I will say that I will not use a modeler for extended periods, seems my chops get from bad to very bad when I jump back onto a tube amp.

I get that too, but the key to practice on a modeller is low gain, no fx maybe just a tiny bit of reverb and try and use the most unforgiving amp model in the whole unit!

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":b45f1 said:
You can tell which is which by the title of the track. :) The first one must be a Johnson J-Station and the second a POD?

The POD sounds MUCH better to me and more realistic. Like you, I've managed to get KILLER recorded tones with a POD XT. I see people bitching about them all the time, but the truth is that they're killer!

Well damm :p I thought i deleted that in MusicV2. Oh well. But it's the Recto from the JS and the Treadplate from the PODXT. It was late so i didn't spend a lot of time with it. The PODXT hs just sooooo much to tweak in it, if i used the 4 band EQ in it i could probably make it sound closer. Right now the JS sounds a little too scooped and the POD sounds a little too hairy or fizzy.
Just have to tweak them some more.

I prefer the 2nd clip, POD. It's far less woofy, boomy, etc. etc. I'd like to hear a clip of the J-Station with less bass and more presence.

I like #2. Add a little more low end to it and it and it should sound even better.

I gotta break down and get a POD. I hear a lot of good tones people have recorded. I guess the key is to tweak the presets.

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":7f85a said:
>|<>QBB<

He he... :)

Oh yeah, that Parametric EQ function in the POD XT is awesome for tweaking. I found it MUCH easier to connect my POD XT to my PC and do the tweaking from there. Ever tried that? It makes it much more enjoyable.

Oh yeah, the only time i touch the POD is when i turn it on. But there are a few tones that i love in the J-station that i can't get yet with the POD. But hopefully with some more tweaking i can get it close. Do you have the add on metal models or FX junkie?

Back