• Nav STD w/ Seth Lovers

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Nav CTM w/ Seth Lovers

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • R7 LPC w/ 57 Classics

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cardinal

Found my e609 mic so have seen messing around. Figured I'd ask Rig Talk: which LP do you like best?

IMG-0289.jpg

Set up was the same. Guitar->SD-1 (off then on for Crystal Mountain riffs)-> JMP 2204 -> Marshall 1960AV -> e609. In theory no reverb/processing.

Gibson R8 with two Dimarzio 36th PAFs

Navigator Standard with Seth Lovers

Navigator CTM with Seth Lover

Gibson R7 LPC with 57 Classics

Last edited:
R8 has the nicest midrange but the other 3 guitars sound a bit more "open" and less compressed.

Last edited:
R8 best for my taste. R7 more vintage, more zing but less appealing to me. Both Navigator sounded very similar, more modern. I guess 98% of the difference is due to the pickups.

My initial reaction was liking the beef in the Seth Lovers better. So it’s one of the Navigators for me. The Anni’s and the 57’s seemed like a better choice for a compressed tone with metal but I liked how bigger the SL’s sounded. But they’re an unpotted pickup so would squeal with high gain at any reasonable volume in proximity. But if using D.I. solutions for recording it probably wouldn’t matter.

Makes sense you would have some Navigators with those guitar straps…😂

R8 best for my taste. R7 more vintage, more zing but less appealing to me. Both Navigator sounded very similar, more modern. I guess 98% of the difference is due to the pickups.
Those guitars to me have a more "strident" top end which yeah I guess could be a more modern sounds. I'm not sure if it's the guitars or the Seth Lovers. The Nav CTM is worse about that than the Standard IMHO; maybe because of the ebony board.
Navigator Standard for me, R8 is a close 2nd.
After listening back in my car, that's probably my preference too. The Nav Standard just sounds bigger, though the R8 has a kind of snarl that I like a lot.
My initial reaction was liking the beef in the Seth Lovers better. So it’s one of the Navigators for me. The Anni’s and the 57’s seemed like a better choice for a compressed tone with metal but I liked how bigger the SL’s sounded. But they’re an unpotted pickup so would squeal with high gain at any reasonable volume in proximity. But if using D.I. solutions for recording it probably wouldn’t matter.

Makes sense you would have some Navigators with those guitar straps…😂
I just play in the basement but haven't had squealing issues with the SLs even when up pretty loud. I've been nicely surprised by that.

Haha. I love really weird looking straps and ended up with some anime ones when I had a bunch of ESPs, so I tossed them on the Gibsons too for now.

R8, then R7, then the Navs, but I liked everything. Been looking at getting a Navigator for a while, or older Tokai/Greco.

Also thanks for doing the original 36th video for that other thread. I was looking for a LP clip that had the DP103 in the bridge and wasn't able to find anything. I've been thinking about trying one in the bridge my '85 custom that currently has the 36th bridge and see if it clears up the tone a bit.

What year was the R7?

I thought the Navigators sounded the most aggressive. I thought the 36th Annis sounded a bit too vocal at times. In general, I would've dialed in less mids, especially for the Death clip, as I thought the sound was kinda stuffy at times (for that style of music), but I honestly overall liked the sound of them all. If I had to choose, though, I'd go with either Navis.

R7 by far, I have never been a fan of dimarzio anything, even though the anniversarys are the tip top of dimarzio imo

Both of the navs with seth lovers sound good though, just not as good as the 57 classics

Those guitars to me have a more "strident" top end which yeah I guess could be a more modern sounds. I'm not sure if it's the guitars or the Seth Lovers.
It's the Seth Lovers 100%. The Seth's always have a more strident top end which is ultimately why I pulled them from my main player in favor of '57's.

R8, then R7, then the Navs, but I liked everything. Been looking at getting a Navigator for a while, or older Tokai/Greco.

Also thanks for doing the original 36th video for that other thread. I was looking for a LP clip that had the DP103 in the bridge and wasn't able to find anything. I've been thinking about trying one in the bridge my '85 custom that currently has the 36th bridge and see if it clears up the tone a bit.

What year was the R7?
R7 is a 2001 with the stock 57 Classics. I'd put a Duncan Distortion in it but recently put back the 57.
I thought the Navigators sounded the most aggressive. I thought the 36th Annis sounded a bit too vocal at times. In general, I would've dialed in less mids, especially for the Death clip, as I thought the sound was kinda stuffy at times (for that style of music), but I honestly overall liked the sound of them all. If I had to choose, though, I'd go with either Navis.
Thanks! Listened back after your comment, I definitely hear that stuffiness that you mention. I made a similar clip last night with an M-II with a TB-6 and the stuffiness was gone for the high gain stuff. I guess that guitar/pickup has less mid range.
R7 by far, I have never been a fan of dimarzio anything, even though the anniversarys are the tip top of dimarzio imo

Both of the navs with seth lovers sound good though, just not as good as the 57 classics
Yeah, I've been impressed with the 57 Classics. I probably would have have used them in the R8 but I really wanted a covered f-space pickup to line up under the strings on that guitar, so my options were a bit more limited. The Dimarzio ended up sounding ok so at this point I think I'll just leave it.
It's the Seth Lovers 100%. The Seth's always have a more strident top end which is ultimately why I pulled them from my main player in favor of '57's.
Ah, ok thanks! I don't mind the Nav Standard but in the clips the CTM seems pretty zingy so those Seth Lovers may come up to fix that.
Starting with the best

R8
R7
standard
CTM
Thanks! Yeah, I think the CTM is definitely my least favorite too.

Back