The Cabs are too Damn High

Corey James

Man I am so glad I have cabinets already.

Thought about picking up a one by 12 for my Soldano.

that price is stupid! I’ll keep playing with what I already have (I know I know that’s what she said)

anyways, what is your threshold for a cabinet price? Just for conversation sake

that price is stupid! I’ll keep playing with what I already have
giphy.gif

I paid $750 for a 1960AX in the late 90's when the speakers were still english celestions. I thought that was crazy money then. Worth more now used than it cost new. Now they are almost 2k!

If you are patient you can find used 1960 cabs here in New England for around $400. Pretty easy to sell a quad of Celestion 75s for $200. Bingo $200 empty Marshall cab ready for the speakers of your choice

Last year I got an Orange PPC412, Bogner Uberkab FL, Marshall JCM800 and ENGL Pro XXL all for stupid prices. There was a flood of great cabs at that time that nobody could get rid of, let alone for a price they initially wanted. With IR's now being so good, cabs are just not as desirable.

It seems that the older cabs like 70’s Marshalls or earlier went way up over the recent years and that sort of stretches the range for all the other used cabs. But things are not selling as much right now so that might reverse a little.

that price is stupid! I’ll keep playing with what I already have (I know I know that’s what she said)

If you’re in the market for a 1x12 the mojotone Canyon is pretty affordable compared to some of the other stuff out there. Just stick whatever speaker you want in it and done . I’ve got two of them , they sound great. Big sounds
for a 1x12

I'm pretty cheap. I've bought all my cabs for <$100. A peavey 412MS with Sheffield 1290's for $80 (plus some non-trivial gas money), an empty Carvin Legacy 4x12 slant for $60 that I chucked a couple EVM's in, and a 1980's(/90's?) Road case cabinet with Carvin 100W BR12's for $60. Most recently, I took some free plywood and I'm working on making a cab from that, because it's cheaper than buying a suitable cab even on the used market. Above about $100, I usually pass on the listing. The cheapest 1x12's on the used market seem paradoxically more expensive than the cheapest 4x12's, so I usually stick to buying empty 4x12's or 4x12's that I can sell the speakers out of and load with my choice. If space isn't an issue, maybe you can save money by picking up an empty 4x12 then loading just two used speakers into it? Should be way cheaper than buying the soldano 1x12 new, and I'd venture that it'll sound better.

Edit:
Also look for "EV Bass Cabs." I occasionally see 1x12's and 1x15's pop up under that label that look like Thiele cabs, probably with an EVM loaded, for <$200, sometimes less than $100.

Overall cab prices are fairly reasonable. This come from building several of my own cabs. After buying plywood, hardware, grill cloth, and wrap for the last 212/115 I did I was already in for close to $300. Then about $600 for speakers. That's $900 right there plus at least a full weeks worth of work. Granted companies get discounts for buying in bulk and can produce them quicker which saves on costs, but $1200 - $1500 for a V30 or similar loaded cab ready to go out the box isn't a bad price comparatively.

Back