The 'COUNT' Euge Valovirta mods his Marshall 1959 to Ed specs....................

This video sort of confirms some of my beliefs about the Ed-spec mods...and ODs/boosts into different Marshalls. To me the full on fat cap mod is too much. I like to dial it back with a series resistor. Also, I love an SD1 into an 800 but to me the plexi circuit pretty much never sounds better with an SD1. I usually like it straight in or maybe a frowny EQ slight boost.

But I do love Euge. His playing is molded around a boosted 800.

It does sound great though!
Dave I wonder how much of what you're describing is the 65W Creambacks? I think he said he has a 57 and a 421 on that speaker, he only has a 57 on the greenie.
Just thinking out loud...

I like that guy, but I really didn't care for the sound he was getting.

Same here. I would never buy an amp that sounded like that. It doesn't sound anything at all like a kickass Marshall to my ears. Maybe it's the way Euge's right hand hits the strings. Maybe it's the active pickups or choice of speakers, but something's waaaaay off with the sounds he's getting, modded or not. Dave Friedman could make that thing breathe FIRE. Euge, call Dave!

Reactions: Geo
I dig it! For me, doing this to my 72 was just to hear the amount of gain the EVH spec adds...In mine, the lows were too big/loose with the 100k/4 ohm tap NFB. I put the 51k(must've been out of 47k that day at the factory lol) back in.
My amp doesn't sound much like VHI tone but not far off VHII.
Euge has to have his tech drop that V1b cathode resistor to 820 ohm though...for me, that added a pretty good amount of gain. It's almost enough for 80s hard rock...maybe just an eq pedal bump and you're there.

Back