The Lexicon Pcm 70...

80sglamleftover

Dave or fellow members,

I always come across the "lexicon pcm 70 "in many of my favorite players racks. From Warren Demartini to Andy Summers, the Pcm 70 "multi effects" not the reverb unit, has its place. Even when the Eventide H3000's are cast out of the current chain of command for something new the 70's are still there.

My questions are as followed: "Are these units cult pieces like Roland SDE 3000's and Furman PQ 3's? Do they offer a warmth that the newer units lack, or is it just that when the 70 was launched, people got used to them, and the upgrade to the 8's and 9's offer either a cumbersome learning experience, or not enough sound difference to make the move financially?" Any and all info appreciated.

They are sonically the shit. Nothing will touch them new. Well the axe fx will do the tone. The Axe is the best new processor available today. Dave

The PCM70 'multi-effects' unit?? There was only one PCM70, and it was primarily reverb and delay, although it did have some chorus and flange capabilities. They made 3 different software upgrades ver 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0. From what most guitarists will tell you, version 2.0 is the 'one' for the cool, classic settings. I just picked one of these up, and I'd love to hear about some of the most popular settings for guitar use.

Also, the best way to run it (in FX loop, line out into poweramp, in front of amp?).

I was messing with the circular delays last night. . .very cool. But, I was just in mono (using the left output). I need to hook it up W/D/W and check it out in stereo next. I like the rich plate verb also -- I have a SDE3000 for delay, so I'm not sure how I'll work the PCM70 into the rig yet. Sounds killer though.

Back