THE Rockman thread

I've started to add some Rockman gear to my Peavey Delta Blues 115. It's an Acoustic Guitar Pedal, designed for clean guitar work. It is basically a compressor with bass and treble controls. It's intended to make an electric guitar sound more like an acoustic guitar.

Attachments

• AcousticGuitarPedal.jpg
    AcousticGuitarPedal.jpg
    940.6 KB · Views: 4,902
I have one of those...it works great on a guitar with piezo pickups direct into the PA. I wired my guitar up with 2 separate jacks (piezo and magnetic), I run the magnetic pickups to my amps and the piezo into the AGP then direct to the PA.

paulyc":2uxpf9jb said:
I have one of those...it works great on a guitar with piezo pickups direct into the PA. I wired my guitar up with 2 separate jacks (piezo and magnetic), I run the magnetic pickups to my amps and the piezo into the AGP then direct to the PA.

I had read that many use it as a DI box. I believe it has flatter response than a guitar amp, and the compression helps smooth out the dynamics. I'll be experimenting for a while. Right now, I have it in front of my Delta Blues 115. I'll have to try it for DI as well.

Little B":1t3q3qd5 said:
............hummmmm..dont know if you got a dud,lemon, or whatever, but ive got nothing but stellar tones from all my modules,especially the xpr with thePA500 poweramp and full range cabs...Im not in the position to entertain poor tone in my rigs, at anytime..whether its doing session work in the studio, or taking these rigs on the road, or local clubs,I'd never touch it with a ten foot pole if it had bad tone in it..Plus, id have no work,studio or stage if the rockman gear didnt sound killer..I get compliments all the time with the rig in my avatar..I just recently had a F.O.H,. guy ask for the rockman rig over my herbert,shiva,and boogies(and I love those amps too) for our next major show...go figure..to each thier own i guess.

Hey Little B, do you have any videos up of one of your performances? I'd love to see your XPR in action.

Best,

--Bruce

I can certainly ask our f.o.h. if they have any footage.Ive seen some live pics floating around.Ive been so busy doing mandolin sessions ive hardly had time to fire up the rockman rig lately.But im sure I will at some point.I simply cant stay away from the rockman rig for very long.I have discovered that i will need a few more eq units at some point.

rbc":3lpul629 said:
If you had the Rockman Ace, they are bottom of the line. The 9 volt power limits their headroom and the noise floor becomes noticeably more obvious because of it. The Ace is just the amp simulation, with no effects. Dunlop compounds this by shipping the Ace with fairly awful headphones. Using the Ace is noticeably better with good headphones. I own two Ace's and use them as practice and demo amps. They are perfectly suitable for that purpose.

The other headphone amplifiers have a much better reputation. There was the original Rockman, the Ultralight, X100 and Soloist. The original Rockman was released in 1982. It includes an amplifier simulator, stereo chorus and reverb. It has two clean sounds, along with "Edge" and a distortion modes. The chorus and reverb are tied together, both being on when the switch was set to normal. You can disable the chorus or reverb, but not both at the same time.

Production of the Rockman Ultralight, began in 1983. It was a more economical alternative to the Rockman. It is very similar to the Rockman but lacks the reverb. Uniquely, the chorus can be disabled, providing a dry output from the amplifier simulator. Both the original Rockman and Ultralight models were continued until 1984.

The X100 is very similar to the original Rockman in its feature set, but uses a different clipping stage in the amplifier simulation.
The Rockman Soloist was positioned as a lower cost Rockman product. It does not have the "Clean 2" voice. It also has different choices for effects, including a setting for chorus and a "stereo" setting that has a fixed 25 millisecond delay. It can be set to "Mono" output, removing all the effects.

Did Giorgio Moroder use the Rockman Ace? Or the X100?

sixty-niner":3varo2xz said:
I still have mine, haven't used it in more than a decade but its still in the drawer!!!
I loved it
You should pull it out of the drawer and give it a try. You might find out that it still sounds great. That Sustainor I demo'd on YouTube is 27 years old, and has never been refurbished.

I just added a Rockman Stereo Chorus to my Sustainor. It sounds great!

Attachments

• SustainorPlusChorus.jpg
    SustainorPlusChorus.jpg
    852.8 KB · Views: 4,806
Oops. I made the Rockman Stereo Chorus video private. Sorry about that. Try watching it now.

I recorded a complete song to demonstrate the Rockman Sustainor and Stereo Chorus. It is "Wish You Were Here", written by Roger Waters and David Gilmour of Pink Floyd. It was recorded to GarageBand using a Peavey Raptor EXP electric guitar, Rockman Sustainor and Stereo Chorus. You can find the recording at:

https://soundcloud.com/bruce-carleton/w ... -were-here

I used switch position 4 on the Raptor, a humbucker configuration of the middle and neck pickup (both single coil). The guitar volume was set to 7. The guitar tone was set to about 3. The Sustainor setup follows. The preamp/compressor was set to 0 gain. The sustain was set to 15. I used the CLN2 filter, with the output set to use the rhythm volume at -4. Here are the Stereo Chorus settings. The drive level (preamp/level) was set to 0. The chorus section was set to a normal sweep speed. I didn't use long chorus. The mix was set to "Wide".

The guitar playing isn't great but it gives a more complete example of using the Rockman gear.

Best,

--Bruce

It's a really great sounding stereo chorus. The audio was recorded with a direct connection, so it should give you a pretty good feel for the sound. I think you'll like it.

rbc":2utb0hd7 said:
If you are interested in the Rockman Stereo Chorus, I've put together a feature review:

The 'Sweep Stop' had a "phasey-notched" type of sound.

Personally I would have liked the unit also demonstrated with distorted sounds- as that further brings out the characteristics of the Rockman Chorus sound.

Honestly I thought you spoke for way too long in the beginning, and between demonstrations.
Just get stuck into the playing straight off, and explain as you go along.

petejt":2m5zgt83 said:
The 'Sweep Stop' had a "phasey-notched" type of sound.

Personally I would have liked the unit also demonstrated with distorted sounds- as that further brings out the characteristics of the Rockman Chorus sound.

Honestly I thought you spoke for way too long in the beginning, and between demonstrations.
Just get stuck into the playing straight off, and explain as you go along.

You should check out David Accomando's video of his Rockman system. He demonstrates soloing with the Rockman Stereo echo, contrasting no chorus, with use of the Rockman Stereo Chorus.

One thing to add about David's video is I don't really know what his recording lineup was. My lineup was:

Guitar -> Sustainor -> Stereo Chorus -> Mixer -> Computer

I recorded to GarageBand with the "Audio Resolution" set to "Better". I had a microphone mixed in for my voice, but the Rockman lineup was direct.

Back