The Secret of the Harmonic Minor Scale

I’m at a club . So I can’t hear the video because of the shitty rap being so loud .But the natural 7 replacing the flat 7 of the Aeolin scale is the key

I’m at a club . So I can’t hear the video because of the shitty rap being so loud .But the natural 7 replacing the flat 7 of the Aeolin scale is the key
The thing that got me, was when he started making chord shapes out of the scale.. That sounded so fucking cool !

:geek:

The natural 7 just begs to be resolved and sounds so good when it is resolved.

I wonder if I can use similar augmented chord shapes when playing in Phrygian Dominant? For example, notes from A harmonic minor scale but played over E major instead of A minor.

You can make chords with all of those scales.
Some of the more exotic 7th chords come from doing this. Obviously you can go into the extensions from there.
Not sure how familiar you are with harmony but David does some of the better videos on these types of topics.

You can make chords with all of those scales.
Some of the more exotic 7th chords come from doing this. Obviously you can go into the extensions from there.
Certain chord progressions dictate using the harmonic minor. I mean, you can slip in a few pentatonic minor runs, but you can't get away with much of that, depending on what your playing over.

Certain chord progressions dictate using the harmonic minor. I mean, you can slip in a few pentatonic minor runs, but you can't get away with much of that, depending on what your playing over.
I'm fairly familiar with chords and scales.
Ironically I tend to use pentatonic scales the most. Mixing in all the chromatic and microtonal stuff.

A lot of people look for short cuts. But the only way to really become familiar with this stuff is use it.
I take it you started looking at the modes based on the harmonic and melodic scales.
All these can be used to make chords also.
As you mentioned they have a unique flavor that comes from the scales and chords.
Some being more useful than others. Obviously all subjective taste.
But the only way to become familiar with them takes time.
I did this in the 70's.

I take it you started looking at the modes based on the harmonic and melodic scales.
I sort of "backed into it" by trying to solo over chord progressions that were (unbeknownst to me at the time ) harmonic minor.

Realized, none of the "blues scale" runs I tend to gravitate towards sounded good.

I focused on just running the fretboard and finding "by ear" what intervals did sound correct.. then looked at what I had come up with and realized it was almost always the harmonic minor scale/Hungarian minor/diminished.

If you guys love this stuff you would love my lessons . I do this online one on one . Sorry a shameless plug I know . But it’s actually really fun

If you guys love this stuff you would love my lessons . I do this online one on one . Sorry a shameless plug I know . But it’s actually really fun
How long have you been teaching ?
I have been doing it 44 years. I don't do it much anymore. But was useful when I played music for a living. Live bands, studio work and lessons. I had to do all three to make enough steady income.

Back