They went digital and the sound is so not as good

But this is actually what alot of bands do . And that same damn fake drum sound . Bring back real drums

I think that is one reason more of the modern bands are sounding the same. Same direct recorded guitar tone through IRs and drum samples.

If they just took their modelers, ran them through a poweramp and cab, and then miked them, they would get better, more natural tones. I am not a huge fan of IRs. I think they they send to give everything that flat, fizzled, filtered sound.

Having a studio doesn't make you an engineer, and having a DAW doesn't make you a producer. It's almost never about digital, it's about people not knowing how to run their gear.

I agree to a point, but it doesn't matter if youre fucking Mutt Lange or Rick Rubin if you're using the same Steven Slate drum samples and Axe 5150 into Mesa OS IR that literally every youtuber on earth uses

I think that is one reason more of the modern bands are sounding the same. Same direct recorded guitar tone through IRs and drum samples.

If they just took their modelers, ran them through a poweramp and cab, and then miked them, they would get better, more natural tones. I am not a huge fan of IRs. I think they they send to give everything that flat, fizzled, filtered sound.
I agree 100 percent ! You are right I think

I agree 100 percent ! You are right I think
Look at Fear Factory's Mechanize tone. Amazing tone, and it was a Line 6 Vetta Head through a Mesa 212 cab.

Modelers can sound amazing, but running the IRs direct give them all that same flat tone, IMO.

Look at Fear Factory's Mechanize tone. Amazing tone, and it was a Line 6 Vetta Head through a Mesa 212 cab.

Modelers can sound amazing, but running the IRs direct give them all that same flat tone, IMO.
See I don’t think that mechanize sounds as good as his amps . Not a big fan

See I don’t think that mechanize sounds as good as his amps . Not a big fan
Well, his old amps were God tier, so you cant really compete with that, lol.

However, compared to most digital sounds, I think Mechanize is a good example. In comparison to The Industrialist, the next album, I think that one sounds horrible. That one does sound like a POD plugged into the computer.

I like ATR quite a bit but man that new track is a wank fest. Fucking garbage. I miss Oli Herbert.

Also, some of you guys are a bunch of bored, whiny ass drama queens. I’ve seen the vids you posted on here in the past of bands you like and the guitar tones are hardly any different than what is posted. How about we continue to discuss what’s more played out than modern metal guitar tones…the same fucking drum samples used on seemingly every metal album the past 10 years. Thats what really kills all these songs from the get.

The same drum sound really has hurt modern metal .
What pisses me off is absolutely zero effort seems to be put in to getting creative with software. Would I prefer real drums, with room mics and real amps and speakers..hell yeah but the software available for guitars and drums is varied and powerful enough you could still get as varied tones as if using real stuff. Create a singular personality. I bet there are drum recordings in non metal music, where you would swear it was real drums but it’s not.

honestly this could be the difference in recording and production as much as it is about the tone. The whole "what gear did they use in the studio" conversation is a trap .... to get those same tones are you going to emulate all the crap that was done to that track when the mixing and mastering takes place?

i have no clue what is going on in that first song listening now on my monitors, i thought it was in mono or some shit at first. that mix has way more problems than an axefx :LOL:

Well, his old amps were God tier, so you cant really compete with that, lol.

However, compared to most digital sounds, I think Mechanize is a good example. In comparison to The Industrialist, the next album, I think that one sounds horrible. That one does sound like a POD plugged into the computer.
I liked digital but his tone was pod tiny lol

What pisses me off is absolutely zero effort seems to be put in to getting creative with software. Would I prefer real drums, with room mics and real amps and speakers..hell yeah but the software available for guitars and drums is varied and powerful enough you could still get as varied tones as if using real stuff. Create a singular personality. I bet there are drum recordings in non metal music, where you would swear it was real drums but it’s not.
Ya the all digital thing is all the same . And it’s because there is NO want to be different and original . I’ve quiet two bands because thru drummer wouldn’t record his own drums but wanted all programmed . Like why in the fuck do you not want to EVEN PLAY them yourself . It’s ruined a couple good bands of mine

Having a studio doesn't make you an engineer, and having a DAW doesn't make you a producer. It's almost never about digital, it's about people not knowing how to run their gear.

Bingo. There is so much wrong with these mixes, and absolutely none of it has to do with the guitar tones being an axe fx, or a plugin, or whatever. I’m sorry, but if anyone tells you they can tell something is a real amp or not nowadays, they are flat out full of shit, period end of story. If the mix sounds the way it does here, it’s because they wanted it to sound like that, or it’s the sound that’s “popular” or whatever.

A neve preamp never made a mix. Neither did an 1176, or TAPE ( overrated), or an SSL console. It was the knowledge and ears of the person behind the board, and the workflow. I mean, does anyone here really think Andy Wallace, or clearmountain, or CLA, or *insert A list mixer here*, couldn’t do what they do WITHOUT the hardware? The answer is 100 percent no, they could no doubt, and DO.

Many of people’s favorite modern heavy mixers have been in the box for years. It’s not digital this digital that, it’s shitty arrangement, and lack of care with attention to detail, I’m telling you.

these dudes were from northern CT and mass back in the day, i remember them opening gigs all the time, i remember they came out with a cd and i wasnt into the production at all then i just stopped paying attention, had no idea they became as big as they did and still are apparently

Also, I’ve known the guys who produced overcome for like, 20 years now. It was done with suecof and Lewis at audiohammer. Hell, I helped MOVE the fucking SSL E console that suecof had in there right before this record was produced……and then we moved it out. Why? Because it was unnecessary, it just was so overkill, and that was 17 YEARS AGO…let alone with technology now.

I can also tell you, for the most part, Suecof hasn’t mic’d up an amp in YEARS. He’s been 100 percent about the kemper for years and years.

Last edited:
Back