Thoughts on OTC and Alt accounts

MadAsAHatter

Reflecting on the nonsense that's gone on in OTC concerning those involved in all the trouble making... Accusations of alt accounts, people being bant and coming right back under another name, name changes, dare I mention Donnies everywhere and the general ad hominin attacks. Its kind of hard to not be skeptical of new members who go straight to OTC and exhibit the exact same trouble making behaviors.

I want to give the benefit of the doubt that the new member joined for the main forum but got caught in OTC while initially surveying the lands. But man, sometimes it's hard to do that when they jump in head first in attack mode.

Anywho, to my point...
Would it possibly be a good idea to impose a minimum post count before a new member could post in OTC (or at least the General section) similar to the Classifieds section? Something like 50-100 posts and having to be meaningful, not spam posts.
My though process on this is it could deter alt accounts, deter banned members from creating another account and immediately jumping into OTC, and let actual new members settle into RT as a whole before getting sucked in to OTC. If anything, it may at least slow down the accusations of alts.

If it was discussed in OTC I missed it. I didn't see any talk in the feedback section
It has been mentioned before, but with a much higher post requirement than you mentioned. I think your recommendation is much more reasonable.
It’s a tricky situation all around. I’ll admit that some of the off the wall shit that gets posted here is part of the site’s charm.
I just wish the bickering would stick to threads more or less “designed” for bickering, and out of every. single. thread.

There can certainly be room for grab assery and also “allowing the adults to speak” that value interesting discussions.

I think that given the level of 24/7 troll posting it would need to be closer to a few thousand posts. Or should be invite only.

Yeah, I know. All were warned before entering. Just feels like OTC is on borrowed time. I'd really hate to see it shut down because of a handful of trolls causing trouble.
It seems its just an extension of the whole reason OTC was somewhat isolated from the rest of the forum in the first place. Those very same pollutants were taking it into the other forums so...corral them into OTC. Now they have made OT intolerable even to those that mostly liked it. Its too much work for mods to constantly chase them around.

IMO there is good reason why people say don't talk about politics or religion in certain settings. Because it's great advice. I'd like to think nobody cares about your political or religious views...but look at how some people get worked up about them. They obviously care what you think if they allow it to bother them so much. And go to the trouble of making another account just to debate it further. And they'll certainly use them as a springboard for posting theirs.

I used to like the occasional cooking or Whatcha Drinkin thread but I don't log in to wrestle with pigs in their own shit. So no OTC for me.

EDIT: Woodford. :cheers:

Last edited:
The OTC is a no holds barred fuck fest. I went once and was turned off pretty fast. I think it has potential, but the amount of anger back and forth is amazing.

That said, when it was banned, rig-talk was becoming unbearable, which led to some pretty cool threads, but since @Monkey Man has taken over, I don't know how things have been there, but in the main rig-talk, everyone seems to be playing nice.

I like it better when we hate eachother based on personalities or gear choices, not politics or religion.

It has been mentioned before, but with a much higher post requirement than you mentioned. I think your recommendation is much more reasonable.
Actually, it's been suggested 3 or 4 times before and with a huge variation in post-count requirements.

Does the age of the account make any difference to an insult thrown at you?
Exactly.

If someone's Hell-bent on trolling, he or she will endure any post-count requirement.

Yeah, I know. All were warned before entering. Just feels like OTC is on borrowed time. I'd really hate to see it shut down because of a handful of trolls causing trouble.
It won't be if I've got anything to do with it.

I minded the entire site on my own for months on end at times these past few years and perhaps more-relevantly, OTC during the heady weeks of the "TGP-influx" phenomenon. The demands on my time were great back then (I remember putting in 16+ hour days and even a 20-hour one), what with having to repeatedly explain minutia and explore imaginary scenarios as new members tried to get a handle on exactly where boundaries lay. That was way OTT but I was prepared to handle it and did so... politely-and-patiently I might ad, so I guess what I'm saying is that even if I have to take care of it on my own in order for it to stay up, I'm prepared to do so.

I need not spell out why I consider this important in this day and age.

Thanks for all your input guys. :cheers2:

It won't be if I've got anything to do with it.

I minded the entire site on my own for months on end at times these past few years and perhaps more-relevantly, OTC during the heady weeks of the "TGP-influx" phenomenon. The demands on my time were great back then (I remember putting in 16+ hour days and even a 20-hour one), what with having to repeatedly explain minutia and explore imaginary scenarios as new members tried to get a handle on exactly where boundaries lay. That was way OTT but I was prepared to handle it and did so... politely-and-patiently I might ad, so I guess what I'm saying is that even if I have to take care of it on my own in order for it to stay up, I'm prepared to do so.

I need not spell out why I consider this important in this day and age.

Thanks for all your input guys. :cheers2:
Yeah, that initial TGP influx looked pretty rough with so many testing the waters. I couldn't imagine how much pressure it put on you fielding everything. With mods being pretty transparent with the goings on we see see a fair amount of what y'all do. I'm willing to bet the effort y'all put in behind the scenes that we don't see to keep this place in order is over 10 fold. Mad props for all that's done.

I'm glad you won't let OTC go down the drain without a fight. I hope everyone truly appreciates the effort. I for one surely do.

Back