Torpedo Live Excitement

brianiac5150

Having only had about an hour with my new Torpedo Live last night, I’m struggling to contain my excitement until further review; however, I have a very good feeling about this product and will add to this post after this coming weekend’s amplifier adventures. I can say that the ease of use compared to the tone quality has me questioning myself. Super easy connectivity, resulting in very good audio. I have to be doing something wrong, right? Also, a topic I did not come across while researching this product was any comment regarding the build quality. It’s (IMO) excellent. Solid chassis, beautiful paint and finish, firm connectors, buttons and knobs. $1000 is extremely far from a drop in the hat for me, so pulling something of such quality out of the unassuming, sticker labeled cardboard box it ships in put a very big smile on my face. Thank you Two Notes team.

That said and in preparation for this weekend’s aural festivities; I wanted to pop on here as a complete nube to this type of equipment and seek a little reassurance and guidance: Using this device as a load box, the initial audio path connection is from an amp’s speaker output, therefore, it makes absolute sense (to me, at least) that a speaker cable would be used to make this connection, however, nothing in the manual or anywhere I’ve researched so far specifically states to use a speaker cable. As it seemed to work very well with my Mark V and there were no audio issues and/or apparent tube glow difference (thanks for including such tips to look for in the manual), this is how I have it connected and used it last night. It does seem trivial, however, the specification would eliminate questions and/or concerns.

I'm really looking forward to this weekend with the Torpedo Live. Thank you in advance for your time in a reply and for what seems to be the godsend of a product I've been desperately seeking.

Hi Brianiac, the correct connection between head and Torpedo is indeed a speaker cable as you have done, your suggestion is noted and I'm sure Guillaume will respond shortly.

All questions comments and reviews are most welcome, thanks for your purchase, please do not hesitate to request assistance with any matter.

Andy

Quick reminder, be sure to request your free PI-101WOS if you haven't already done sohttp://diffusion-audio.com/torpedo/TNPromo.html

topbanner.001.png

See...there's another thing...you guys and your customer service are going to require you to build a bigger facility and hire more people to keep up with orders. Don't say you weren't warned. :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for the response and link, Andy. Very much appreciated.

I'm definitely looking forward to adding to this thread.

Wow!!!

It's taken some thought within my system to get this all going, however, I'm completely impressed with the Torpedo Live and WoS. I have to run out for a dinner date with friends this evening and intend to get back here (to my DAW seat) early in the morning for more "work", however, I wanted to pop on and thank the Two Notes team for their excellent product and support. I've got WoS running and it's great, along with the hardware. Everything I've done, so far, has been within Pro Tools 10 non-HD, my Mark V and the Torpedo Live. I love it. Sitting directly to my right is a Mesa vertical 2x12 cab which would be cutting me in pieces if it were connected and I'm getting great stuff out of the Torpedo Live without it and mics. Exactly what I was desperately needing.

If you're contemplating the purchase, stop...and get the Torpedo Live (or better, if cash permits) into your system.

The almost two year old kid has been sleeping through all of this, as well. Lovely!

More rambling and audio to come later... :D

Totally amazing unit. So glad I got one!

Sounds killer both live and in the studio.

:)

Wow, thank you all for the kind words! :rock:

I took a trip this week end far from any Internet connection (that was VERY good) and the thing I like when I come back is to read this kind of message, that's a way to start a week!

It does seem trivial, however, the specification would eliminate questions and/or concerns.

You are entirely right, and as I write all the manual it is entirely my fault. You need a speaker cable, but I have to tell you that using an instrument cable instead can work as long as not too much power is involved. How much is "too much"? Well, that's the question I can't answer, it depends on the cable itself. So using a speaker cable is recommended. ;)

Sometimes you simply forget some very trivial indications. With a lot of new customers that are for some quite starting in the recording area, I can't assume anymore everybody knows instantly what to do with our stuff and how to connect it in the studio/live. ;)

Tuesday evening I had the chance to run one of my Eleven Racks into the TL to wrap my ears around one of the biggest 11R requests: IR's. Before I go any further I want to make sure it's clear that I'm an avid (pun-erific) fan of the Eleven Rack for almost everything it does. My sole issue with it has been in regard to capturing excellent heavy rhythm tracks: it's got a buzzy, high end characteristic I simply have not been able to EQ out (and really wish I didn't have to try). That said; I ran the RIG OUT-NO CAB setting into the TL and viola...er...I mean voilà...exactly what I've been dying for out of my Eleven Rack(s).

Combining the two units, as well as the PI-101WOS and Eleven plug-in offers insane results, routing, flexibility, as well.

The Torpedo Live just keeps on giving...and giving... Hoping for more time with it this evening.

Brainiac - I hear you on the Eleven + Two Notes front! I bought a CAB to remove the same issues and stop spending HOURS with the para-eq to dial out the fizz. Now, it's just amp model - pedals - Torpedo CAB. Genius.

Be interested to hear any heavy tones with your Eleven and TL - considering selling mine to get a small amp for recording and live use in the near future.

-Riff

Back