Torpedo Reload?

guillaume_pille":bw5or7mf said:
The answer is no, as the power amp in the Reload expect to receive a signal coming from an amp.

I have to draw a little schematics to make this perfectly clear. ;)
Na, I understand. I was just making sure since there are a lot of ins and outs and this and thats on the unit. I wouldn't run it that way, but was just curious.

I know the price is still yet to be announced but would it be possible to know if the aim is to make it cheaper than the Torpedo Live ?

The reason I'm asking is because I would really like to get the Torpedo's load box accuracy but then use the impulses in my DAW (either RedWirez or WoS or something). I don't gig at the moment so the Torpedo Live would probably be overkill for me and the Torpedo C.A.B. doesn't have the loadbox.
If I know beforehand that there's no $ reason to wait for the Reload then maybe I just go for the Live. I'm also not in a rush but I have a deal on a used Torpedo Live for about 15% less

Hi mindwalker,

what I can tell you now is that we aim at something a little less expensive than the Torpedo Live, but not that much. We would like it to be around 700 USD but I can't guaranty that right now.

Another question regarding the Reload :)

What would be a better tool for silent practice with headphones ? Using the Reload as a loadbox and then a sound interface running into a computer with a DAW running the PI-101 (for example) or just using the Torpedo Live ?

The Live would be an optimized solution with no latency whereas the Reload could introduce unforeseeable issues with latency depending on the interface and CPU power of the processing computer but you would get all the re-amp options which for a guy like me (who's not gigging) would be pretty cool...

Hum, that's a tough question.

If I have to give my personal opinion I am real a hardware guy. Even if I always have a computer switched on in the house, I prefer the effectiveness of the Torpedo Live: switch on the unit, play, that's it.

But I don't have to choose between various products, so my opinion is of course biased.;) I just pick the one I need when I need it. ;)

Actually, you have to think about what is different between the Live and the Reload:

standalone unit (Live) VS computer + plugin (Reload)
8 ohms fixed, loadbox only VS 4-8-16 Ohms, loadbox + attenuator
Amp and line input, line and S/PDIF output VS DI + Reamp + amp inputs, analog outputs

I know it is not that easy to make a choice...

true.. tough question! I also much rather prefer plug n play although I never have my laptop turned off anyway for backing tracks and other stuff.

Getting both would be the best option ;)

Thanks for weighting the pros and cons section.. hope it helps me to make up my mind! :) Thanks a lot for the help!

If the Reload's got a good representation of a natural speaker load, and a good DI to send to the DAW, that is the way for me. It will take the place of the attenuator I have (and need) and provide a loadbox/DI solution for the DAW.

I get very low latency in the DAW with the WOS, so that is a minimal concern for me.

I think there should be an introductory half price offering for WOS users. Yeah, pretty sure that's an outstanding idea. :)

Can the Live use the multiple cabinets in one instance like the WOS?

guillaume_pille":24z5qgz9 said:
So, it has it's own power amp in it that sends that signal to the cabinet? I guess that is a clean power amp? What is the wattage?

Right now it is a 6dB attenuation (25W if you put a 100W signal), but this may change in the final design.

And if one decided to go with FRFR monitors, could you load your amp with the reload, send that signal to the TwoNotes CAB, then back to the reload for amplification of the cab sim?

My head hurts. ;)

The amplification on the Reload is driven by the signal you have at the speaker input, ie the one coming from the speaker output of your guitar amp.

The basic use of the reload is to be plugged to a guitar/bass cabinet, not to an FRFR monitor. NEVER plug the line out of any product to the speaker in of the Reload, you will fry your line out (because of the low impedance of the loadbox).

Guillaume, I'd suggest (if it's possible) that it would go from 0dB (or at least 3dB) attenuation to silent. If you would use it primarily as an attenuator and only need to knock your amplifiers volume down just a bit, the highest setting of 6dB's might be to much.

/Ulf

Well, I don't really see the point of lowering the volume of the amp by "almost nothing" dB, but most importantly it is really hard to do so with our technological choices. ;-)

Please note that I announce this for a 16 ohms connection, and for a 100W amp as a source. Actually those numbers don't stand for 8 and 4 ohms connection (remember we have an SS amp in the Reload).

guillaume_pille":3jofjkji said:
Well, I don't really see the point of lowering the volume of the amp by "almost nothing" dB, but most importantly it is really hard to do so with our technological choices. ;-)

Please note that I announce this for a 16 ohms connection, and for a 100W amp as a source. Actually those numbers don't stand for 8 and 4 ohms connection (remember we have an SS amp in the Reload).

Yeah, I figured the SS amp is the reason for the limitation. What I'm saying is that if you're going to use the reload as an attenuator for just making a loud amp a bit less loud, the 3db setting is important. Remeber 3dB off is half the power and it's the way I very often use attenuators live or in rehearsals.
Still, I understand that the Reload might not be used primarily as an live attenuator, but it would be cool if it could be without limitations.

/Ulf

Speaking of wattage, how will the Reload handle a 100 watt plexi? Supposedly, you really get more than 100 watts out of them. Can the Reload handle it or will this cause problems?

Yeah, I figured the SS amp is the reason for the limitation. What I'm saying is that if you're going to use the reload as an attenuator for just making a loud amp a bit less loud, the 3db setting is important. Remeber 3dB off is half the power and it's the way I very often use attenuators live or in rehearsals.
Still, I understand that the Reload might not be used primarily as an live attenuator, but it would be cool if it could be without limitations.

Well, if we want to keep the product away from the "oh my f...... God the price of this s... is ridiculously high", there will be some limitations

There is a simple method to get rid of the limitation: the output impedance of the amp and the impedance of the cabinet you plug to the reload does not have to be the same.

Simply use a 8 ohms cabinet (whatever the impedance of your amp) and you'll get almost twice the power. ;) You can even use 2 X 8 Ohms cabinets, we plan to add an extra output on the Reload.

Supposedly, you really get more than 100 watts out of them.

When everything is maxed on a Plexi you can have something around 150W RMS. And tubes that will die fast. ^^

The Reload, like any of our products, will handle any kind of RMS power. It is just a matter of the time before it goes into security mode. With 150 W RMS over 20mn of constant playing you will go into security mode. I can't tell exactly how many time it takes, but this is what we observed on the Torpedo Live, the final tests on the Reload are not finished.

guillaume_pille":1e7unwm6 said:
When everything is maxed on a Plexi you can have something around 150W RMS. And tubes that will die fast. ^^

The Reload, like any of our products, will handle any kind of RMS power. It is just a matter of the time before it goes into security mode. With 150 W RMS over 20mn of constant playing you will go into security mode. I can't tell exactly how many time it takes, but this is what we observed on the Torpedo Live, the final tests on the Reload are not finished.
I don't dime it (well, not all the time), but I do play it with a volume around 6, which still may be over 100 watts. I assume that in security mode it locks up until it cools back down or something?

I could pull two tubes from the amp, but then I'd have to change the impedance to 8 and the Reload's load isn't selectable, right?

Hmmmm. It somewhat seems I've reached a quandary.

Well, I can't tell you how much in RMS watts is 6 on the master. What I can tell you is it's not a 0 or 1 problem. In other words, you may be able to play for one hour with nothing happening, the security could trigger only after 2 hours just because the box has to be warm enough. If you are close to 100 W it could take a hell of a time. ;)

Just so you understand: in the factory we use a very powerfull ss amp (500W) to test the security load, so we don't have to wait for an hour to see if it's working. And still both the amp and the Torpedoses are doing well. ;)

The Reload can take 4, 8 or 16 Ohms amp outputs, this is the main difference with our other products.

guillaume_pille":3dtsbxq8 said:
Well, I can't tell you how much in RMS watts is 6 on the master. What I can tell you is it's not a 0 or 1 problem. In other words, you may be able to play for one hour with nothing happening, the security could trigger only after 2 hours just because the box has to be warm enough. If you are close to 100 W it could take a hell of a time. ;)

Just so you understand: in the factory we use a very powerfull ss amp (500W) to test the security load, so we don't have to wait for an hour to see if it's working. And still both the amp and the Torpedoses are doing well. ;)
Well, that's encouraging.

You can send me one and I'll test it on a 100 watt plexi for you. :LOL: :LOL:

guillaume_pille":3dtsbxq8 said:
The Reload can take 4, 8 or 16 Ohms amp outputs, this is the main difference with our other products.
Oh, sorry. I miss read that. I can see the little switch on the back now. Okay...good good!!

Hey Guillaume, I have a quick question regarding the Reload...

If I were to buy the Torpedo PI-101 WoS today (that's 250 eur more or less) it seems to me like a bit of a bad investment if further down the road I get the Reload which comes with the WoS bundled with it (however you mention on Torpedo's website that it's the PI-101 WoS Reload edition... is there a difference ?)

Or do you plan to have some sort of upgrade or discount price for people who already might have the PI-101 WoS plugin ?

If I were to buy the Torpedo PI-101 WoS today (that's 250 eur more or less) it seems to me like a bit of a bad investment if further down the road I get the Reload which comes with the WoS bundled with it (however you mention on Torpedo's website that it's the PI-101 WoS Reload edition... is there a difference ?)

Or do you plan to have some sort of upgrade or discount price for people who already might have the PI-101 WoS plugin ?

Well, there are 2 major differences:

1- if you buy the WoS now you can use it... now, instead of this summer ;)
2- the reload edition has "only" 24 cabinets instead of almost 60 in the WoS now.

It is quite impossible to organize a discount all over the world for the people who purchased the WoS earlier (and actually, should this affect a WoS bought 2 years ago?). We dont have the control on what is sold in the stores actually, so basically you have the choice to buy the WoS now and get rid of the Reload edition later (which is advertised as a gift for the purchasers of the Reload), or wait for the Reload but you won't have the full WoS version.

We will announce soon an important change in the way we distribute the WoS, so I would recommend you to wait a little, register to our newsletter and you may be happy to follow my advice. ;)

Back