Trade a 5150 iii head for a Marshall Vintage Modern stack?

I was offered a Purple Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 half stack for my EVHH 5150 III Head. I am very happy with the EVH but I am always wanting to try new gear. If you have played one, what did you like/not like about the vintage modern? What tones could you get out of it? and last is it worth it money wise (could I make out on it better than an EVH head?) Oh yeah, the marshall is flawless. My head has marks on it but not torn. What do you think?

i didnt like the vintage moderns i played, yngzaklynch makes the one he owns sound insane. even with a boost i was not getting any tones out of it that i really liked, its basically a modern day plexi circuit with some of the more creature comforts you see in modern amplifiers - hence the name vintage modern.

they are worlds apart in gain structures and in the amount of gain they have on tap, you wont get anywhere near close to a 5150 III in gain with a vintage modern without a serious front end boost/overdrive pedal and a serious pick attack.

i suggest you go play one at GC or sam ash first before you make that swap - it really is an amplifier that is player for player dependent, hearing clips is NOT enough with those.

Thanks for the info. I heard some of yngzaklynch you tube clips and I was giving the trade a thought because of those. do you know if the purple is limited edition? The seller is telling me it is but i am finding nothing about being limited.

Just from a tonal options stand point I wouldn't give up a 3 Channel high gain head for a single channel one. Cab or not. :no:

Also another thing I considered. I love the versitility of the EVH but if the marshall could get the heavier gain I don't mind rolling back the volume knob to clean it up.

I really wanted one. The one I played was the 212 combo but came away disappointed. I had a really hard time dialing out the high end harshness. Could have been just me I suppose. I liked the tones from the JVM much better and that's what I ended up with.

glpg80 is right, it's really dependent on the player. Paul Gilbert makes them sound great. For me, not so much. But I'm no Paul Gilbert. :no:

I'd hang on to the 5153 and call it a day.

Way back when I had my first Marshall VM I eventually got the itch to try another head so I sold it and bought an EVH5153. I just could not gel with that amp. The crunch needed more and the high gain was to hairy for me. So I sold it off for another VM which has since been slightly modded. For me a boost pedal out front of a Marshall is the shit!!! But thats what works for me. Don't get me wrong, if I get ahold of a Marshall-esq amp that does the channel switching and gets the high gain tones I like without a boost <cough gainfreaks modded JVM clip> I would very happy. If you liked my clips you can also listen to some of the more recent Trower vids and Paul Gilbert vids to hear different tones from what I get. The VM has a really great crunch I've not heard in other amp. Possibly it's the KT66s. If you go to a store to demo one PM me for settings.

I tried a VM a few years ago at GC, though I liked how it played, it didn't knock my trusty ole' 5150III from my rig. I know the EVH well and know how to get it to do exatcly what I need it to. Also, there is a slight coloring the EVH does that I like and haven't found in other amps. Channel 2 has, what some call, a "woody" sound that I like and is unique. I mostly use this channel with an OD9 as a boost, this and the fact it's a channel switcher.

The decision is really player specific. Both are great amps that are in the same league. However, for you to sell something that is working for you the VM should blow you away in person.

When I first got the 5153 I wanted to throw iit out the window because of the channel switching problems and pre-amp tube problems. But now that I have it all figured out, I love it. The offer was thrown on my plate a couple hours ago and wanted to see what other people would do. You like the od9 boost on channel 2 nevusofota. I have been trying to buy the maxon od808 thats in the classifieds to boost channel 2. I have a hardwire cm-2 for leads. What do you use for leads?

renegade5150":pahlw14j said:
When I first got the 5153 I wanted to throw iit out the window because of the channel switching problems and pre-amp tube problems. But now that I have it all figured out, I love it. The offer was thrown on my plate a couple hours ago and wanted to see what other people would do. You like the od9 boost on channel 2 nevusofota. I have been trying to buy the maxon od808 thats in the classifieds to boost channel 2. I have a hardwire cm-2 for leads. What do you use for leads?
For lead work I use an Xotic BB on Channel 3 with the gain about noon on the amp and the BB level at 3:00 with the pedal gain almost all the way down. I use a midi switching system with an RJM mini amp gizmo to take away the tap dancing. This set up has been working great, lovin' the tones.

renegade5150":2ppaprwi said:
I was offered a Purple Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 half stack for my EVHH 5150 III Head. I am very happy with the EVH but I am always wanting to try new gear. If you have played one, what did you like/not like about the vintage modern? What tones could you get out of it? and last is it worth it money wise (could I make out on it better than an EVH head?) Oh yeah, the marshall is flawless. My head has marks on it but not torn. What do you think?

no. keep your 5153 :thumbsup:

renegade5150":2bhpglrf said:
Thanks for the info. I heard some of yngzaklynch you tube clips and I was giving the trade a thought because of those. do you know if the purple is limited edition? The seller is telling me it is but i am finding nothing about being limited.

just thought i'd add the purple tolex ain't limited edition, they offer it in dark purple/black and in black (e.g 2466B) , however i'm not sure when they started offering it in black

i've got one coming in end of next week, can't wait to give it a run through, i'd keep your 5150iii if you like it tbh

renegade5150":i8udbo4n said:

Don't know if anybody has answered this already, but the purple is NOT limited edition. That is their standard color, and I think they make them in black as well.

As far as the amp goes, I love my VM and the matching cab. Raw Marshall tone that sounds great with or without a boost. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground with this amp - people either love it or hate it. As others have mentioned, you should also consider the fact that you'll be going from a 3-channel to a single-channel amp.

LedZep77":12p7lomm said:
renegade5150":12p7lomm said:

Don't know if anybody has answered this already, but the purple is NOT limited edition. That is their standard color, and I think they make them in black as well.

As far as the amp goes, I love my VM and the matching cab. Raw Marshall tone that sounds great with or without a boost. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground with this amp - people either love it or hate it. As others have mentioned, you should also consider the fact that you'll be going from a 3-channel to a single-channel amp.

Hey bro i think they stopped using the purple tolex. now they're black

yngzaklynch":6im7brc7 said:
LedZep77":6im7brc7 said:
renegade5150":6im7brc7 said:

Hey bro i think they stopped using the purple tolex. now they're black

i just looked it up again seems i was wrong in my earlier post too, as of this topic:

http://marshallvintagemodern.com/viewto ... f=1&t=4500

purple ones are no longer made, just in black now

Do the trade. The speakers in the 425 cab just aren't available anywhere else except the JH100 cab. 5150III's are a dime a dozen, but VM's are becoming harder and harder to find as people are slowly figuring out how to dial them in just right. That plus the disappearance of the purple tolex should make this a no-brainer.

racerevlon":2mm79kfv said:
Do the trade. The speakers in the 425 cab just aren't available anywhere else except the JH100 cab. 5150III's are a dime a dozen, but VM's are becoming harder and harder to find as people are slowly figuring out how to dial them in just right. That plus the disappearance of the purple tolex should make this a no-brainer.
Money wise it would make since, right? I haven't found much on what these go for in the used market. There are alot of EVH 5153 heads around me for pretty cheap. I found an EVH half stack, brand new at a store for $2000. Do you have any experience with the VM? Can it be boosted to get a heavy modern tone?

Does the VM like most marshalls have to be cranked to really give up the goods or does it do well at low volumes?

I have been told (keywords there) that it doesn't have to be cranked to get a good sound BUT, I have never heard a Marshall that sounded good at bedroom volume. I was also told that there is a huge jump in volume from the LV (clean) to the HV (dirty) which makes it kinda useless to me that we play a lot of smaller venues. I would really like to know if it cleans up well by rolling off the guitars volume knob and just keep it in the HV. I won't be able to try it out untill Friday, maybe.

Back