Triaxis/2:90 vs Mark V

some dude

Anyone use both?

Wondering how the clean and C+ compare?

Also wondering how authentic the Recto voices sound?

And does the Triaxis have any switching lag when changing presets?

General comments then?

Basically, I like mixing my Recto and Mark V, but two heads and two cabs is not something I want to drag around with me so I choose one or the other when I leave the house.

I'm considering building a rack rig with a pair of Triaxis and a 2:90, one channel running "Mark" sounds and the other running "Recto" sounds. Each channel run into half of a stereo 4x12.

Hopefully this idea wears off soon as my bank account can't handle it. But I'd still like to research it anyway so I can keep an eye open for used gear...

Not a fan of the 2:90 with Triaxis, I dumped my 2:90 right away. Sounds great with my Strategy400 but that's a Stereo poweramp, I have the recto board Triaxis and I just go through the presets till I get a sound I like out of it.

The Triaxis/2:90 rig can get you to the ballpark of a Mark IV, for example, but it ain't the same. The head versions sound bigger/fatter/etc than the TA/2:90, IMO.

The triaxis is the only Mesa gear I have ever owned. It has some great tones in it but I can't say how it compares directly to a Mark series amp. It's forte is versatility of course. I haven't noticed any switching lag.

some dude":x9ro55vv said:
General comments then?

Basically, I like mixing my Recto and Mark V, but two heads and two cabs is not something I want to drag around with me so I choose one or the other when I leave the house.

I'm considering building a rack rig with a pair of Triaxis and a 2:90, one channel running "Mark" sounds and the other running "Recto" sounds. Each channel run into half of a stereo 4x12.

Hopefully this idea wears off soon as my bank account can't handle it. But I'd still like to research it anyway so I can keep an eye open for used gear...

Sorry mate! I was up late then and fairly tired. I should have just shut up! :doh:

Two TriAxis preamps- one set for a IIC+ preamp sound, the other for a Recto sound, has been the core of James Hetfield's live sound from at least 1996 to 2000, then combined with the Diezel VH4 amp from 2003 to 2010. Up to 2007 he used the Strategy 400 poweramps, but now he (unfortunately) downgraded to the 2:90. In the mid-1990s he managed to get a damn good sound out of it. The Recto sound is what gave his tone a bit more fullness and percussive punch, since he scooped that IIC+ too damn much. It's still good now but doesn't sound as rich on live recordings...
I reckon he'd be better off with the older 50/50. I've got one.

Using these two preamps with a stereo poweramp is a pretty good idea to save on space. It has actually crossed my mind a few times, but I love my MarkIV too much to give up on it. I'm still holding onto my 50/50 though...
Alternatively you could use the Randall or Egnater preamp modules with a stereo poweramp, the 1086 for the Recto sound, and whatever else they have to replicate the MarkIIC+ sound, although I don't specifically know what.

At worst- the TriAxis would be like a preamp version of the MarkV, except doesn't have the Lone Star sound but does have a Recto sound. It's interesting that the TriAxis uses one circuit board for all the Mark series sounds, and a completely separate circuit board for the Recto sounds.

some dude":jub8nsqh said:
Anyone know why he switched from the Strategy 400 to the 2:90?

Probably because they have not made them in 20 years so parts are getting hard to get/service.

He does not use his JC120s anymore either. :cry:

EXPcustom":3z9vzoed said:
some dude":3z9vzoed said:

Probably because they have not made them in 20 years so parts are getting hard to get/service.

It's not like the dude can't afford to buy parts, and I would assume he has a room full of spares in a warehouse somewhere. I figure there's got to be more to it than that?

some dude":2p0m26vn said:
EXPcustom":2p0m26vn said:
some dude":2p0m26vn said:

It's not like the dude can't afford to buy parts, and I would assume he has a room full of spares in a warehouse somewhere. I figure there's got to be more to it than that?

Not a matter of being able to afford parts but lack of the availability of said parts. They do some heavy touring and im sure those power amps gets pushed super hard every night and probly dont last too long under those conditions. Even though he can afford any parts he'd need its just easier to buy the new model than have to deal with older gear constantly needing maintenance. Or he did it just to mess with us gearheads....

Yep. I know they just had their IIC+'s in to be serviced at Mesa right before recording "Death Magnetic." Though they can find parts with all the money they have, what do you think is easier to come by on tour at the last minute if something breaks...a discontinued model power amp or a current production model they can have over nighted to wherever they're playing?

Back