Uberschall Revision Comparison Thread

For certain things, yes. Like hard rock and slower metal. The Twin Jet destroys it at djenty, faster metal type stuff.

I have had the EL34s in the Twin Jet. It was a lot less boomy than the Rev 2, it sags and compresses at much lower volumes too.

Update: had the same bias switch mod done to my Rev 2. It's a totally different animal now with KT88's! A lot tighter, more scooped, punchier bass. Really dark sounding. Pretty cool, but I can see myself missing the EL34's in there, so I'm glad I had that bias switch installed.

Yeah, I liked them in my Rev Blue, so we will see once I get the funds for them.

The KT88's are starting to grow on me, since they sound a lot better at lower volumes, and since I can't always crank the amp in the living situation I'm in this is a definite boon (have to take it to girlfriend's house to play it). The EL34's have a booming sub-bass at lower volumes that tends to really disturb bitchy neighbors. The KT88's are punchier and the bass is not as extended, and sounds fuller at lower volume, which is good for me most of the time. Within a few months I will be moving into a house and will not have to worry about this issue and will be able to always crank the amp.

Death by Uberschall":3ane04vc said:
You should try a set of the JJ E34Ls in the Rev2.

Just tried these today. It definitely sounds a lot more like the Rev 2 clips I've heard on Bogner's website, saggier and greasier and without the somewhat harsh top end of the Winged C's. It has more of a unique flavor to itself now compared to the Twin Jet. I tried the E34L's in the Twin Jet, but it sounded muddy and uninteresting. I definitely like Winged C's in there more, while the JJ's in the Rev 2 are really cool! :rock:

leib10":2tnpclol said:
Death by Uberschall":2tnpclol said:
You should try a set of the JJ E34Ls in the Rev2.

Just tried these today. It definitely sounds a lot more like the Rev 2 clips I've heard on Bogner's website, saggier and greasier and without the somewhat harsh top end of the Winged C's. It has more of a unique flavor to itself now compared to the Twin Jet. I tried the E34L's in the Twin Jet, but it sounded muddy and uninteresting. I definitely like Winged C's in there more, while the JJ's in the Rev 2 are really cool! :rock:

Throw a clip up. :D

Here you go, something real quick before work:

https://soundcloud.com/leib10/e34l

And for those of you who are interested, I tried to get the amps to sound as close as possible and here's how close the Rev 2 and Twin Jet's channel twos are in terms of dialing in: :LOL: :LOL:

Pretty obviously, the presence controls are different. On the Rev 2 it acts as the traditional lower-mid control, whereas on the Twin Jet it interacts more with the treble and seems to control higher-mid frequencies. The Rev 2's has a sub-bass that's similar to the Twin Jet's with the depth nearly maxed out. The Rev 2's treble has a more sudden increase.

Sounds clean and tight. I run my gain at the same level as you now and use my Timmy pedal set clean to slightly raise the gain for liquid solos. Try these settings below with a nice EMG 81/85 equipped mahogany body guitar, it's magical with the master volume at 12:00 noon. This works great with my V30 loaded Recto cabs.

Gain%252520Channel%252520High%252520gain.JPG

Those are really smooth settings. I like to raise the treble a bit for my Uberkab and back off the gain (I just tried it with a AHB-1 Blackout and an 85 in the neck of a Schecter Hellraiser), but those are some nice settings. Do you ever try any others?

leib10":2lcphss0 said:
Those are really smooth settings. I like to raise the treble a bit for my Uberkab and back off the gain (I just tried it with a AHB-1 Blackout and an 85 in the neck of a Schecter Hellraiser), but those are some nice settings. Do you ever try any others?

I'll tweak them a little here or there depending on mood and the room, usually just involves adjusting the Presence control to go either from the smooth full tone as shown in the pic or turning it down to scoop the low mids a little and tighten it up.

This is my clean settings for the amp with the Tung-Sol RI in V1 and the JJ ECC803S in V4.

Clean%252520Channel.JPG

It's funny how running the bass that high actually smooths it out and makes it less rumbe-ly. It doesn't really flub out all that much like the Rev Blue did. I like keeping the gain at about 1:30 or lower since past that it gets really, really saturated and isn't that great for fast riffs. If I'm playing hard rock, 3:00 is the way to go. :)

leib10":3idlldcc said:
It's funny how running the bass that high actually smooths it out and makes it less rumbe-ly. It doesn't really flub out all that much like the Rev Blue did. I like keeping the gain at about 1:30 or lower since past that it gets really, really saturated and isn't that great for fast riffs. If I'm playing hard rock, 3:00 is the way to go. :)

I agree, everything I ever read about the Uberschall said to keep the bass below 12:00, but damn if just doesn't sound and feel awesome that high up. No flub, just massive and thick.

The thing that I love the most is when using the high gain channel with my settings is as you move the main Master Volume from say 9:00 on through to straight up, the power section does this great thickening of the tones that's to die for. The way it compresses is the reason why I'll never part with this amp.

Yep, people really underestimate how the mix of master and channel volumes changes the entire attitude of the amp. I agree, increasing the master volume pas 9:00 really compresses the amp, while doing the same with the channel volume really tightens it and makes it somewhat drier and more aggressive.

Usually there are only related to the adjustment of the control, from the smooth, full tone and displayed on the PIC, or scoop it a little bit of low-IF, and tighten.

Today I tried swapping V1 with a tung sol and a sovtek 12ax7's, surprisingly, I found out that I really
like the uber with the stock chinese V1 over the tung sol, sovtek sounded pretty bad to my ears.

I kinda feel the chinese 12ax7's are an integral part of bogner's voicing, kinda weird.

Back