Uberschall Ultra vs Hell Razor

That's awesome, I'll check it out. Which Wizard are you pairing it with?

I still love my MTL/MCII Hybrid, but damn this HR talk is GASing me up. That price is nuts though, I could make the UU work but the HR would be tough.
Im using the HR- had a mcii but the HR is even better- both are kt150- kt88s definitely are the move although super expensive

Uber ultra was cool and definitely good for the price but my hell razor absolutely was in a higher tier. They have different voices, but all I’ll say is that someone I know who owns a bunch of hermanssons was impressed by the HR and preferred it over some of his hermanssons
I mean I really like my hermansson recto, but I prefer my Uber ultra over it. Actually a handful over it…. my wizards, monomyth, and my rev e (part of this is nostalgia and just wanting one forever). It is definitely in top tier of amps though.

Edit: I’ll add the hermansson is definitely the most unique.

I mean I really like my hermansson recto, but I prefer my Uber ultra over it. Actually a handful over it…. my wizards, monomyth, and my rev e (part of this is nostalgia and just wanting one forever). It is definitely in top tier of amps though.

Edit: I’ll add the hermansson is definitely the most unique.
Hermansson’s also can vary quite a bit depending on the donor amp and how he dialed it in for the customer’s needs. I’ve got 4 Herm’s now and tried 2 other 5GS Marshall’s. They all varied. The Carlsbro one sent my Wizard MTL packing, while the others couldn’t, but excelled at other stuff more. My personal favorite is my Rev G Dual Herm. It’s in my top 5

Honestly one can’t be better than the other . It’s subjective. It’s all what one is looking for .It also matters how the user tweaks the amp they got . I’ve had friends have the best amps people want and they say it sounds best . Then I hear their tones and I’m like that amp sounds like shit . But it’s not the amp . It’s the user . So for me it’s hard to go by words . But it’s still fun discussing it

Honestly one can’t be better than the other . It’s subjective. It’s all what one is looking for .It also matters how the user tweaks the amp they got . I’ve had friends have the best amps people want and they say it sounds best . Then I hear their tones and I’m like that amp sounds like shit . But it’s not the amp . It’s the user . So for me it’s hard to go by words . But it’s still fun discussing it
They can be "better" for the right criteria or scenario. For example, if one wants the most tightness or high end aggression I'd say it's hard to do better than Hermansson's, but they're also the epitome of hollow. If one wants the most throaty growl on powerchords, I think a Rev C is in fact better than anything else I've played for that. Biggest low end/sublows: easily the Megalith Beta, etc with a Blueface, IIC+ and others in top tier. This is I think why the most sought after amps are what they are. They all have at least one specific thing they do better than anything else. Even if they have their weaknesses, they're still the best in their niche, while almost all the recent stuff is very bland, maybe ticks most boxes 7/10, but I think will just get forgotten about later on

They can be "better" for the right criteria or scenario. For example, if one wants the most tightness or high end aggression I'd say it's hard to do better than Hermansson's, but they're also the epitome of hollow. If one wants the most throaty growl on powerchords, I think a Rev C is in fact better than anything else I've played for that. Biggest low end/sublows: easily the Megalith Beta, etc with a Blueface, IIC+ and others in top tier. This is I think why the most sought after amps are what they are. They all have at least one specific thing they do better than anything else. Even if they have their weaknesses, they're still the best in their niche, while almost all the recent stuff is very bland, maybe ticks most boxes 7/10, but I think will just get forgotten about later on
Those amos might get you to where you think they are best at that . But it’s subjective. 2c++ is ok but way overatted because of one man . Then Marshall lovers thibk rev c is best because it growls like a Marshall . To those people you might think the growl is good . But some might fight typical . Like why do I want my recto to sound Marshally . It’s all super subjective. Like a lot of the amps I mentioned I tried to because of hype and was let down because other models had better growl or what one person says is bad makes others great . Seriously way to subjective. Has one friend alwsts says only a Sith speaks in absolutes lol but fr

Those amos might get you to where you think they are best at that . But it’s subjective. 2c++ is ok but way overatted because of one man . Then Marshall lovers thibk rev c is best because it growls like a Marshall . To those people you might think the growl is good . But some might fight typical . Like why do I want my recto to sound Marshally . It’s all super subjective. Like a lot of the amps I mentioned I tried to because of hype and was let down because other models had better growl or what one person says is bad makes others great . Seriously way to subjective. Has one friend alwsts says only a Sith speaks in absolutes lol but fr
The Rev C’s don’t really growl like a Marshall based on the 3 I’ve played (one of which I own). It has the distinctive throaty recto growl that I haven’t heard in any non-recto amp. The Marshall growl IME typically sits higher and has a pretty different texture. I think guys just loosely mean “more Marshall leaning” maybe, but really it’s a different flavor. No high gain amp I’ve tried yet has the type of liquid connection between notes on leads as a c+ or the same density/weight to the notes (most amps sound airy comparatively). Whether they are the right amp for the style or player or one’s taste is a different story, but I try to just isolate unique qualities and play up to them with other gear pieces

Last edited:
Im using the HR- had a mcii but the HR is even better- both are kt150- kt88s definitely are the move although super expensive

Yeah I think you're right about the kt88s, seems like most folks who have been able to compare Wizards prefer a higher powered kt88 variant. Makes sense, a beefier power section is only going to do good things for an amp known for its punch and clarity.

When I was ordering my Hybrid I was debating between that and EL34. Ended up going EL34 and don't regret it, but my next one will be kt88 just to have the flavor.

The kt88 UU was actually the one I had my eye on for this same reason. Seems like all of the clips I can find are either EL34 or don't specify - does anybody on this board have/tried the kt88 one?

Yeah I think you're right about the kt88s, seems like most folks who have been able to compare Wizards prefer a higher powered kt88 variant. Makes sense, a beefier power section is only going to do good things for an amp known for its punch and clarity.

When I was ordering my Hybrid I was debating between that and EL34. Ended up going EL34 and don't regret it, but my next one will be kt88 just to have the flavor.

The kt88 UU was actually the one I had my eye on for this same reason. Seems like all of the clips I can find are either EL34 or don't specify - does anybody on this board have/tried the kt88 one?
I had a kt88 one that had squeal issues

I will say that Rick has reslky something special that happens with el34s that was missing with kt88s and 6l6s . And I’m not a el34 guy , But there’s this rich razor sharp highs his el34 Amos have that just one me over . It’s very unique and just incredible imo .

I have to add something to this, even trying subbing KT77's in place of E34L's in the Modern Classic II makes for interesting tones. I've tried with mine and it really rips, just adds a bit more extended low end.

I will say that Rick has reslky something special that happens with el34s that was missing with kt88s and 6l6s . And I’m not a el34 guy , But there’s this rich razor sharp highs his el34 Amos have that just one me over . It’s very unique and just incredible imo .
I really dig the highs on my e34l mtl.

Usually I prefer EL34’s to KT88’s also, but in the Hell Razor KT150 I tried I wasn’t missing anything from the MTL EL34 or MC EL34 I had vs it. Plus the KT150 can also take EL34’s if desired I heard

Usually I prefer EL34’s to KT88’s also, but in the Hell Razor KT150 I tried I wasn’t missing anything from the MTL EL34 or MC EL34 I had vs it. Plus the KT150 can also take EL34’s if desired I heard

I honestly hear an odd frequency that sounds off on the UU when compared to the hell razor. It actually makes me want a hell razor. Still not enough gain on tap for my preferences but that’s what a good boost is for, plus the UU has built in boosts doing the same exact thing. The hell razor does sound like it has more gain on tap than a MTL?

I honestly hear an odd frequency that sounds off on the UU when compared to the hell razor. It actually makes me want a hell razor. Still not enough gain on tap for my preferences but that’s what a good boost is for, plus the UU has built in boosts doing the same exact thing. The hell razor does sound like it has more gain on tap than a MTL?
Are you getting this from phone clips? Just asking seeing if I missed a proper recording out there.

Are you getting this from phone clips? Just asking seeing if I missed a proper recording out there.
What I’m noticing is that if you’re downtuned it’s not prominent but if you play is D standard or above there’s an odd spiked mid response that’s very narrow in frequency that exists on quite a few UU recordings. I didn’t originally notice it until I was comparing them to other amplifier recordings. It’s almost like having a single slider on a 30 band EQ way too high. It’s so narrow that in the room I don’t think anyone is noticing but under a microphone it’s very apparent.

Back