Uberschall Ultra vs Hell Razor

I honestly wish we had an UU vs Bogner Pandora vs Hell Razor recording.

Yeah if the hell razor is super tight I probably won’t like it at all. I prefer the fluidity of bogners and 5150s. I don’t like an amp fighting me.

I still think I’d prefer an Engl SEFE. I’m going to hold out for one.
There are tighter amps out there than the Hell Razor (including some Engl's). Guy's exaggerate or mislead a bit I think in regards to Wizard's tightness. It's more that since it doesn't have all that compression or saturation of 5150's, mark's, cameron's, or XTC's it exposes things more and the player imo has to put in a bit more. My Hermansson's are tighter and sharper in attack, but feel much easier to player since they're also way more compressed and saturated/wet, but to me the Hell Razor still feels very good to play even for fast leads

The Engl SE EL34 (the old ones at least) are also super compressed, saturated and easy to play, but very synthetic sounding (to me they sound cheap), while Wizard's are among the only non-vintage amps I've tried with a more organic/raw sound. The Hell Razor can also make some of those more compressed amps sound underwater/distant when compared

Last edited:
Man, granted I haven’t played a new Engl SE, but the old one was nowhere in the same league as any bogner or wizard I’ve played. Just my opinion there though. Especially for that 4k tag Engl is trying to get out of it, so not worth it IMO. I will disclose I’m not an engl fan though and think their stuff sounds super synthetic. I think their best offering is the fireball.
I agree. They are very fake sounding amps, like hearing a recording of an amp in person, but they feel easy to play and sound tight and growly, so I can understand the appeal

I honestly wish we had an UU vs Bogner Pandora vs Hell Razor recording.

Yeah if the hell razor is super tight I probably won’t like it at all. I prefer the fluidity of bogners and 5150s. I don’t like an amp fighting me.

I still think I’d prefer an Engl SEFE. I’m going to hold out for one.
The only Wizard i’ve played was a MCII. I like saturation and don’t like to fight amps either. But man the Wizard is special, we compared it with a Mark IIC+.

Our humble conclusion that day, was that the MCII was kind of a Marshall version of the IIC+. In a sense that you can’t make it sound bad. The knobs a really responding well. The punch is unbelievable and the harmonics are very special.

I imagine the Hell Razor should have these attributes, right?

The only Wizard i’ve played was a MCII. I like saturation and don’t like to fight amps either. But man the Wizard is special, we compared it with a Mark IIC+.

Our humble conclusion that day, was that the MCII was kind of a Marshall version of the IIC+. In a sense that you can’t make it sound bad. The knobs a really responding well. The punch is unbelievable and the harmonics are very special.

I’ve not tried an MCII, but had an MC and MTL and while they were also great, I honestly felt the HR KT150 I tried was much better. It was the punchiest and biggest of the bunch no doubt

Like you and most guys on here, I also usually prefer saturated amps that feel easy to play, but I’m also open minded and good is good, and the HR is definitely good lol

That Wizard character does make them harder to play, but I kind of like that. It forces me to really practice and focus on my right hand and then it does make clean picking sound better. For sure I’ll sound like dogshit on the Wizard when I slack off on practice.

When I switched from a strat to a tele for clean stuff at first it felt stiffer and a lot harder to play, but then I ended up preferring that feeling and now the strat feels too buttery and soft.

I think most people would put a boost on to add a little compression/saturation/grease to ease the feel, but I choose to blend it with a looser, more saturated amp to make it sounds bigger and also feel more comfortable to play.

It better have those attributes for the $6300 price tag plus tax and shipping. That’s a $7000 amp which is just stupid IMO. I’d rather try out the Engl since it’s half the cost new and has the ability to offer that German tone none of my other amps can do. Same goes for the UU - I get the appeal given the pricepoint. It’s hitting way above its belt.

I agree. They are very fake sounding amps, like hearing a recording of an amp in person, but they feel easy to play and sound tight and growly, so I can understand the appeal
LOL
5,290 posts
nary a clip of ANYTHING or a record release
just saying

LOL
5,290 posts
nary a clip of ANYTHING or a record release
just saying
That’s a hell of a first post.

He doesn’t need to make clips because he doesn’t fucking have to. This isn’t Burger King have it your way.

With that said the Engl SE isn’t the be all end all, but it’s not trying to be IMO. I like what it can do based on professional recordings at its price point and it seems as though it feels and plays how I love. I also feel it can cut in a band just fine as is.

See that synthetic or processed tone is awesome af to me when stung brutal death metal . The album bram brought up by Dimmu is one of the best tones ever along with Dying Fetus Desend into Deprativity . I love that sound . I know it’s pretty disliked but I keep an Engl always for that

It better have those attributes for the $6300 price tag plus tax and shipping. That’s a $7000 amp which is just stupid IMO. I’d rather try out the Engl since it’s half the cost new and has the ability to offer that German tone none of my other amps can do. Same goes for the UU - I get the appeal given the pricepoint. It’s hitting way above its belt.
The ENGL SE is a great amp. But tone wise it’s totally different.

Yeah, money is the only reason why I don’t have a Wizard. They are worth it tho.

Last edited:
The ENGL SE is a great amp. But tone wise it’s totally different.

Yeah, money is the only reason why I don’t have a Wizard. They are worth it tho.
Yeah Rick needs to step into the 20th century and discover Altium designer. No one has good enough ears to differentiate PTP from a well designed PCB board. He would sell more amps at a much lower cost but he would rather his amps stay exclusive and hide behind PTP as the reason for doing so instead of greed.

I love my ENGL SE FE. It is definitely not a organic amp. But, as Techdeth said, ENGL is my go to amp when I play deathmetal stuff with my MI megalith beta.

Last edited:
Old Man’s Child snd Immortal have some killer Engl tones as well.
I love that sound . What I live to do is take a tight chunky amp like my Hermansom 5 gain stage then blend a rich processed Engl tone right underneath it to add harmonic richness . Plus I love the lead tone plugged straight in . Here’s the lead tone I use with mine

Back