Using Mains as Floor Monitors

HughJasol

Does anyone make any sort of stand or adapter that allows a main PA speaker to have its tilt adjusted when used as a floor monitor? Yes, I know I could stick anything under the front edge to prop it up - books, blankets, etc. But I'm wondering if there's an actual product designed for this out there, maybe even something that allows an adjustable angle rather than a fixed angle, although I'd settle for a fixed angle if that's all there is.

You might be able to srew something together from plumbing fixtures... or sually hardware/ lumber place will cut 2x4's and 4x4's to length if you can design it then just paint and screw it together

Id use some PVC pipes and bolts, make an adjustable hinge L cradle design that it will lean back on. put a lip on the front with and be done - water proof and weather proof for storage as well.

A book. Need more tilt? 2 books. :D

Also depends on what speakers you're using. And remember the Horn patterns are typically set up for the speaker being upright, so when you turn it on it's side, you'll have a very narrow field that it covers, but will splash sound all over the ceiling.

Thanks all - but I was hoping to avoid a construction project, and I already had the books covered in the OP :LOL: :LOL: . . .

mboogman":a0lzbbme said:
And remember the Horn patterns are typically set up for the speaker being upright, so when you turn it on it's side, you'll have a very narrow field that it covers, but will splash sound all over the ceiling.
I didn't think of this. So you're saying that standing right in front of the speaker I'll have sound at my feet and at the ceiling; but if I move 3 feet to the right or to the left I'll lose much of the sound?

Or you could go the other way around; buy good monitors (which often have two different angled sides on them), put in some adapters to put in a carryingpipe (or whatever it's called) and voilá...

Giga

I just this morning bought a single JBL SR4702X monitor (a 12" monitor weighing 64 lbs! :shocked: ); but I was going to use a pair of JBL MR925's (15" mains) that I already have as the other monitors (we'll only need 3 total, as the drummer will use a HotSpot, in-ears, or something else). Although if a good deal for a pair of good monitors comes along and I'm in the position to buy them at the time, I'll probably jump on it, and then keep the MR925's as backup or secondary mains.

HughJasol":27z4jf95 said:
Thanks all - but I was hoping to avoid a construction project, and I already had the books covered in the OP :LOL: :LOL: . . .

mboogman":27z4jf95 said:
And remember the Horn patterns are typically set up for the speaker being upright, so when you turn it on it's side, you'll have a very narrow field that it covers, but will splash sound all over the ceiling.
I didn't think of this. So you're saying that standing right in front of the speaker I'll have sound at my feet and at the ceiling; but if I move 3 feet to the right or to the left I'll lose much of the sound?

Looks like the horns on those are 90ºx45º. Pretty narrow for use as a floor monitor (the 45º is the issue). As long as you stay pretty close to it, you should be fine.

Not sure those stands will work for me . . . but thanks for all the help everyone. I guess I'm going to either go with books/blankets/2x4's, or buy dedicated monitors.

Back