VHT Pitbull Ultra Lead head volume issues.

Scruffy1012

Hey, I'm not to sure where to post this, mods please move it if its in the wrong place. I got a used VHT Pitbull Ultra Lead head a while ago and i've been having some issues with it, basically when i bring the master volume up the volume doesn't rise at after 9 o'clock and stays the same volume even if I have the master volume maxed out, also the gain is really weak and basically still sounds clean on the Lead and Rhythm channel. Atm I have it set to 8 ohms into a Orange 4x12 cabinet, when i set it to 16 I get no sound at all. My question is could the tubes be the problem or do I need to bring the heads ohm setting back to 16 and do something else to get sound ? The fuse/everything else is working fine.

Cheers

I'm not a tech, but are any of the tubes glowing too much? Did you test them with a pencil? Are you going straight in? Is there anything in the loop? Have you tried a different amp with this guitar/cab?

benduncan":276xl4w7 said:
I'm not a tech, but are any of the tubes glowing too much? Did you test them with a pencil? Are you going straight in? Is there anything in the loop? Have you tried a different amp with this guitar/cab?

Nah they don't look like their glowing too much, some are kinda dim tbh, not sure how to test them with a pencil ? i'm going straight in, nothin is in the loop, i tried the guitar/cab/cable etc with a different head and it worked perfectly

Yeah, as yngzaklynch said, I bet it's tubes or bias or something.

You can check them by tapping them with a wooden object like a pencil(or your fingernail), while the amp is on. If one rings, cracks or makes weird noise, there's something wrong with it

You can also try plugging something into the FX return, to bypass the preamp. If it sounds fine, then it's the preamp

Check your bias. Volume reaching max at really low levels of the knob could mean a bias set incorrectly.

Sounds like a preamp issue maybe, first thing I'd try is replace the preamp tubes with new or tubes that you know are good and see how that works.

Yeah ill check them out, ill do the pencil test as well and get back to yall, I don't think its a Bias problem, think it might actually just be fucked tubes.
Cheers

check the V1 and subsequently other preamps.. I once got my v1 that gone bad and after consulting the guys at vht.. it got a shot right on spot as I experienced mine with a huge volume loss as well on channels and gain that barely opens up..hope that helps

benduncan":3787any4 said:
Yeah, as yngzaklynch said, I bet it's tubes or bias or something.

You can check them by tapping them with a wooden object like a pencil(or your fingernail), while the amp is on. If one rings, cracks or makes weird noise, there's something wrong with it

You can also try plugging something into the FX return, to bypass the preamp. If it sounds fine, then it's the preamp

:LOL: :LOL:

I think Ben is correct here. Good luck, hopefully it is one of these minor issues.
Test all of these yourself and worse case scenario if it persists.

Send it to Fryette. They are more qualified than your local tech and probably charge less too apart from the shipping.

Back