VHX no sound output to headphones?

So I’ve got a VHX that I’ve been playing strictly through headphones for a few months, while I’m waiting for a cab I’ve ordered.

I have never had an issue doing it that way. Sound quality has always been good. I went to turn it on today, and I’m not getting any sound. The red mute light is on in the front, which I know engages to protect the amp if there isn’t a load. However, I know the amp was designed to have cabless operation, which is why I felt fine running it with just headphones.

There were no indicators of anything going wrong. In fact I played it last night with the same setup. Everything worked great. I’m guessing it’s the headphone jack, because I skipped my pedal board and jacked into the front and there was still no sound output. But I also switched out the size converter tip on the headphones and no change.

Any advice? Should I reset the amp? If I do, how do I backup the presets?

Last edited:
While playing can you see the audio spectrum moving?

Can you try an empty preset?

Is the MUTE label red or grey?

If you go in the global settings (push the. Preset knob) are both Master and DI set higher than minimum?

Thank you

While playing can you see the audio spectrum moving?

Can you try an empty preset?

Is the MUTE label red or grey?

If you go in the global settings (push the. Preset knob) are both Master and DI set higher than minimum?

Thank you
So I was able to get it fixed by resetting it however once I reinstalled my preset backup the sound disappeared again.

I went over your suggestions on the backup on an empty profile. The MUTE appears to be red. Master was set at 1, played with it at 0 and 1 for no effect. Same with DI, and combinations thereof. Audio Spectrum does show.

Last edited:
If MUTE is red the amp is on mute, please unmute it by pressing the screen selector knob.

Also make sure that the DI screen (where you choose IR speaker etc..) has level se higher than 0

Thank you

Last edited:
I forgot to respond, but that totally worked. I didn’t recall hitting it in the first place (nor did I know that was the mute button).

Thanks again!

Back