Video: Vintage Orange OR120 vs. its younger brothers!

::fred::

Tried these fruits for a change ;)

IMO, the OR120 smokes every other newer Orange amp out there. In real life, the difference is striking.

From that vid all I got was the OR120 was too loose and fuzzy. All the others just sounded the slightest of variations which makes sense as they probably don't change much about the circuit across all the newer models. I'm impressed with how much mileage Orange gets out of one sound. How many models do they have? How many do they really need?

skoora":1u3bkgpv said:
From that vid all I got was the OR120 was too loose and fuzzy. All the others just sounded the slightest of variations which makes sense as they probably don't change much about the circuit across all the newer models. I'm impressed with how much mileage Orange gets out of one sound. How many models do they have? How many do they really need?
You could say the same about Marshall, Engl, Fender, (insert brand here). You haven't played many Oranges if you think they all sound the same. They share some flavor, but almost all of the big names do.

Spaceboy":2ojbskqb said:
skoora":2ojbskqb said:
You could say the same about Marshall, Engl, Fender, (insert brand here). You haven't played many Oranges if you think they all sound the same. They share some flavor, but almost all of the big names do.

Except for a Thunderverb 200 I've played every tube Orange model. Several times. Plus the OP wasn't doing a video on any other brand so I didn't mention any other brand. There's no way in the OP vid you could close your eyes and identify which is which except for the '74.

::fred::":1wrk4ezt said:
Tried these fruits for a change ;)

IMO, the OR120 smokes every other newer Orange amp out there. In real life, the difference is striking.
I agree on this video, the amps all sounded very similar, I was mostly retorting to the 'mileage out or one sound' comment. I don't think that's a very fair assessment of the brand at all. If you ever get the chance, plug into an AD30 and you'll notice it's miles apart from a Thunderverb. The fuzzy sound is common across all Orange amps I've played though. I used to hate it, but now it's 'the sound' for me... at least until a new bug bites me.

Back