Wanting buyers to pay your sellers fees?

Bloodrock

I don’t get it.. so many sellers pricing their shit too high to begin with, then they want you to pay their seller or PayPal fees. We're already paying double the shipping from a couple years ago, but you want me to pay your fee when you're advertising on a nationwide forum for free? GFY. Go list on reverb or eBay.

I can understand PP fees since the buyer gets all the protection (and then some) and the seller gets almost nothing. I've always been happy to pay the Paypal fees as a buyer but never as a seller. The Reverb fees are totally on the seller and should already be baked into their price. Shipping is what it is...buyer has always paid for that. Shipping is ridiculous tho I agree.

We are just in a weird time where prices have had a recent roller-coaster ride and nobody is quite sure where we are at on the ride. Plus the high supply/low demand dynamic. Then shipping and fees being so high.. Probably a good time to buy but everybody wants to sell...isn't that how it goes?

I never ask for friends/family for PayPal, cause, well…we’re not really friends or family
1714995644871.png

Question: would something like Venmo do the same as F&F paypal? I've been pondering that as I've looked at my equipment I need to thin out a bit.

I just view it as overhead. The cost of doing business. I only buy and sell personal gear, but as soon as you use Reverb or Paypal or whatever, they become commercial transactions. If I want my item to sell, I have to price it competitively. Unless I paid well below street/market for something, I'm probably not going to get 100% of my money back plus fees. I think some sellers are just clueless.

I price to include any and all fees. If a buyer wants the easiness to find and purchase on an online platform they’re going to pay for the convenience just the same as you do for drinks at a convenience machine.

If you don’t like paying sellers fees but also want the convenience of no travel easy purchases then you’re a hypocrite. Go back to pawn shops and good luck finding the boutique section.

I’m not selling something to lose my ass on it just because the buyer is entitled. There’s also a ton of bullshit you have to do on your taxes to sell something which buyers do not have to do. The fees are the buyers responsibility for the ease of online purchasing and to make up for all the liability the seller has to deal with during and after the sale.

Last edited:
I like to put two prices. If you want lowest - friends and family here it is. You want the fees, here it is. You want all of it, it’s on reverb for way more. All up to the buyer. I also almost always assume I’m going to get offered 100-200 bucks less too.

I only ask for friends and family now or zelle because I don't want anymore 1099's from Paypal. Just like any deal you need to do your due diligence in regards to your buyer or seller.

Luckily I've never been burned buying or selling.
Yeah, now they're starting to hold your money for goods and services for up to 21 days. PPF&F for me only. Fuck Paypal.. They find every way possible to punish sellers, (on top of fees), and now they want to "observe your selling habits" as if you're a business through goods and service. It's just a fucking scam for your money to be THEIRS for awhile..

I made the mistake of getting a Paypal Credit card with a $3500 limit, with 3% cash back. Thought it was a no-brainer.. Boy was I wrong. Every payment I made, they held and didn't post for 2-3 weeks. I told them to shove it up their ass and closed it within 4 months. They claimed making large payments set off fraud alerts. Who the fuck steals someone's card, and makes the victim's payments?

Last edited:
I bake that into the prices.

But I'm also pretty picky on who I will do business with - it makes it easier to use FF for all the transactions. I've never been screwed by anyone on RT before, knock on wood. Because of that good mojo, I like to sell things at "steal" prices on here once in a while, as a "thank you" to RT as a whole.

I sell stuff on reverb, but the prices go up because of all the buyer "protections" that are basically screwing the seller over.

I only ask for friends and family now or zelle because I don't want anymore 1099's from Paypal. Just like any deal you need to do your due diligence in regards to your buyer or seller.

Luckily I've never been burned buying or selling.
Same for me. I’m not giving PayPal my SSN so they can send me tax forms at the end of the year for gear sales. There are TONS of ways to make sure you don’t get ripped off via F&F. Buyers just need to do a LITTLE due diligence and they will be safe 99% of the time.

We’re in a weird world now on forums where everyone wants Reverb-type protections but they don’t want to pay Reverb fees. If you want a 100% sure thing, then just buy in reverb and pay the fees. Forums are a back door to avoid fees cause we all know each other. It’s not Reverb Part II.

Boss Katana.

I hate Boss. I've owned two boss products and both of them failed. I hate the Katana cause for two years I had to listen to every knucklehead on you name it guitar forum recommend them. Before that it was the dumb mustangs. Now it's the stupid tone masters.

Back