Weird guitar mods

So I'm currently planning out a partscaster with a swimming pool route and a Floyd. This way I can just swap pickguards to go between single coils & humbuckers when I feel like it.

I haven't found any good examples of a tele single coils with a FR but I may just roll the dice anyway.
Ah I see! Well, I am interested in seeing what you land on.

So I'm currently planning out a partscaster with a swimming pool route and a Floyd. This way I can just swap pickguards to go between single coils & humbuckers when I feel like it.

I want to do that to my old Kramer. It's my main guitar, routed for HSS. Can't afford another guitar, so I'm gonna get a couple different pickguards with different pickup configurations, SSS for example. Then I can finally use all the pickups I've got laying around that I've gathered over the years.
I haven't found any good examples of a tele single coils with a FR but I may just roll the dice anyway.

Let us know how it works out for you if you do that! A pickguard with a Tele Bridge pickup for my Kramer sounds very interesting. I think I need to try that out. Thanks!

From what I can tell so far, the biggest impact on tone will be the bridge saddles being different. But FU-Tone does make brass saddle inserts so hoping that mitigates it a bit.

Still researching how not being bridge mounted will go...

Maybe someone broke into their house and modded it while the owner slept
You see, this kinda shit does happen you know. Not exactly modding, but people breaking into places while someone is sleeping all doped out. You've been conned by the way.

From what I can tell so far, the biggest impact on tone will be the bridge saddles being different. But FU-Tone does make brass saddle inserts so hoping that mitigates it a bit.

Still researching how not being bridge mounted will go...
I read in one of Richie Fliegler’s (SP) books that the metal in a Tele bridge is as much a part of the tone as the pickup is, so much so that the old paired saddle bridges have way more twang than the newer 6 saddle bridges. The material of the bridge matters too. Pot metal isn’t as good.

I read in one of Richie Fliegler’s (SP) books that the metal in a Tele bridge is as much a part of the tone as the pickup is, so much so that the old paired saddle bridges have way more twang than the newer 6 saddle bridges. The material of the bridge matters too. Pot metal isn’t as good.
Yeah I've heard that but never found any comparisons or anecdotes of people trying to pickguard mount a tele pickup.

Tempted to maybe take a metal bridge plate without saddles and just glue it to the underside of the pickguard so that the pickup is still "bridge mounted". But it wouldn't be wood mounted, so that's another thing to consider.

Currently I have a BKP Piledriver in my Fender which has an additional metal plate glued to the bottom already, so not sure if that would counteract the lack of a true bridge mounting.

Back