WGS Reaper vs Weber 1230/Scumback H55

mincy

I'm finding the pair of Reaper HPs I have are slowly becoming my go to speaker with my Herbert. I'm thinking about buying another pair and I'm wondering if it's worth it to spend more on Weber 1230s or Scumback H55s instead. Anybody A/B them or try them all and care to offer any insight?

bmf5150":3tufhaww said:
i like the webers my self..

I'm leaning that way. I love the WGS Reapers, but I'm thinking it may be worth checking out Weber. Figure Weber's are cheaper and they make the Scumbacks, so why pay more.

Me, I'm partial to the Scumbacks...You pay more for them, but the difference in feel and tone is well worth the extra $$ spent....It ain't just another Weber speaker....

I have used all of the following: G12H Anniversary (Hellatone 30), Weber 1230-55, Scumback H75, and WGS 50 Watt Reapers.

The Reapers are my favorite, the Hellatone 30's are next, then the Scumbacks (good, but overhyped IMO), and followed lastly by the Weber 1230-55. The Webers were really fuzzy and dark compared to all of the above. Granted I really didn't give them a chance to break in; however, Ted supposedly broke them in prior to shipping. I sent them back for some 1265's..........still dark, but much less fuzzy.

To be honest, there is hardly any difference between the Hellatone 30 and 50 watt Reapers to my ears. Great bang for the buck :thumbsup:

troublehead":siq1a3vo said:
I have used all of the following: G12H Anniversary (Hellatone 30), Weber 1230-55, Scumback H75, and WGS 50 Watt Reapers.

The Reapers are my favorite, the Hellatone 30's are next, then the Scumbacks (good, but overhyped IMO), and followed lastly by the Weber 1230-55. The Webers were really fuzzy and dark compared to all of the above. Granted I really didn't give them a chance to break in; however, Ted supposedly broke them in prior to shipping. I sent them back for some 1265's..........still dark, but much less fuzzy.

To be honest, there is hardly any difference between the Hellatone 30 and 50 watt Reapers to my ears. Great bang for the buck :thumbsup:

For the record, what was it about Scumbacks that was overhyped? Just not $100 more per speaker better than the Reaper or was there something about it you didn't like? Also, what amps were you using with them, for reference?

I have the reaper 50Ws right now and love them with my Herbert (not as much with the Mesa). I was going to just buy another pair an completely load the 412 with them but I figured maybe I should try a "better" version of the H30. But from what you're saying, it sounds like I should just stick with the original plan. I've got no complaints with the Reaper 50W at all, so I don't know what I'd expect to get out of spending more money on one of the others.

troublehead":3v0lpg3q said:

Interesting..... Do you remember the doping level on the Scumbacks and Weber 1230's? I know the Celestion G12H30's take a while to break in, I assume the other versions are the same way.

troublehead":2lhyzs9v said:

I owned some Weber 1230-55's and i didn't like them at all. I replaced them with some Wahehouse 30's which IMHO blew the Webers away. I bought the Webers used so they were broken in.

psychodave":2eny13od said:
I had the Scumback h30 w/55 treatment on some old Celestions that I had re-coned and I didn’t really like them. They sounded okay with a stock Marshall, but once I used a pedal, they sounded like crap. I sold them after a few months. I prefer my blackback H30's. I have said it a few times here that I really like the 75's with the tone bras. I need to make a vid clip with them.

Yeah ya need to make a clip! :LOL: :LOL: Actually I think I am just going to order them anyways. I am on the speaker tone quest (actually pickups and tubes too lol!) but I think before I try more speakers I am going to try the tone bras on my H30's.

mincy":104fu9st said:
troublehead":104fu9st said:

For the record, what was it about Scumbacks that was overhyped? Just not $100 more per speaker better than the Reaper or was there something about it you didn't like? Also, what amps were you using with them, for reference?

I have the reaper 50Ws right now and love them with my Herbert (not as much with the Mesa). I was going to just buy another pair an completely load the 412 with them but I figured maybe I should try a "better" version of the H30. But from what you're saying, it sounds like I should just stick with the original plan. I've got no complaints with the Reaper 50W at all, so I don't know what I'd expect to get out of spending more money on one of the others.

The Scumbacks were not bad at all. They just weren't worth the $$$ IMO. They seemed quite a bit different from the G12H and Reaper sound I am used to as well. It is hard to describe, but I would say more "vintagey" and not quite as tight as I would like. I used them with a Bogner Shiva (which sounds great with G12H Anniv. to my ears) and also my little Blackstar head. I just prefer the "traditional" G12H sound. I'm not sure about the doping on the Scumbacks, but my Webers were "light" doping.

Back