What amp to have a Friedman Mod?

Nev

Greetings, newbie here. Looking for opinions/advice.
I've played the BE-100 and like most, have been very impressed. Although I don't need a 100 watt monster, I was thinking about sending them a 50 watt to work on.
So, I've decided to do the mod to a Marshall 2204 JMP, a Plexi, or... a well built copy of them.
I've seen the Ceriatone amps. They're hand wired, and they seem to make great equivalents for a decent price under $1000 and less if you don't need tubes, or the amp shell. Used Marshall's like these are still over $1000.00 on Craigslist or more, plus you have to add the cost of shipping, and also the Friedman mod.
According to an email I received from Friedman, they tell me that between a JMP, or a Plexi, that the work involved is the same, and that they should sound the same when the mods are done. I believe that this is due to the circuits within them are about identical.
Now my question is...
How can they sound the same after the mod when each of these amps have a different characteristic tone to begin with?
Given the choice to buy either a real JMP, Plexi, or Ceriatone version, which would be the best to have the mod done? I know good tone is a matter of preference, but if you wanted to get close to the BE-100 as possible without paying the big bucks, which amp model is the way to go?
FYI...I'm leaning towards the Ceriatone based on cost and build quality, but still...what one?
Thank you for your replies.

Also want to add that the Ceriatone Yeti and the Cupacabra model heads may be the answer I'm looking for without even sending it away. Check Youtube and let me know what you think and how it compares to the Friedman BE-100

Why you ask is a 50 watt plexi reissue and a 800 50 watt the same. Well because the power sections of the amp are exactly the same. I change the front end completely. Maybe the presence is different but I change that also. As for the ceriatone, it's a very nice build but I need to change more stuff in it. I don't like the grounding they use and often I need to change many components because of what I want to hear. Also the transformers are good but not great. As far as the yeti or chup go, they really are more of a Cameron circuit then mine. Not the same as a BE100

I only just saw this post and thought I'd chime in. Hope it's not too late as I have been down your path before.

I had Dave mod a Ceriatone 2204 for me a couple of years ago. I had the BE, C45, FAT and FX Loop done. It sounds great!! I was the same as you, didn't need the 100w and also didn't have the cash for an original.

The verdict - it sounds great! I love it! Exactly how I wanted it to sound.

I did recently play through an original BE100 and I will say that it is about 5% better than mine. When I say better, I mean a bit tighter and bigger. The bigness is probably that it's 100w. As for the extra tightness in the bottom end, only Dave can tell you. Maybe the same reason.

As for the Chupa and Yeti, I played my friend's as has owned both and still owns the Chupa. They are different as Dave says, based on Cameron CCV type circuit. More gain on tap and more layers of gain. You can sort of get close to Brown Eye territory if you flick the switch to 60's mode but its a simplistic lower gain version of the Brown Eye sound. Nice amp as well but different. The Brown Eye is more a vintage plexi tone(but with more gain).

Here is a clip of my Friedman modded Ceriatone 2204! Overall, I'm very happy with this amp although I may change the transformers one day. It's a keeper!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ddRqdnZDXs

Back