What are these spots on my power tubes??

Devin

I noticed these spots recently and I'm not sure if this is a cause for concern or not - sorry for the crappy pic but you can see the iridescent looking circles near the right side of each tube. Amp is a Deliverance Sixty and still sounds perfect; tubes have about a year and a few months of use....

toobs.jpg

Them Gold Lions got confused and thought they were Leopards :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Year and a few months of use is probably. Just heat on glass and normal wear and tear. Keep a matched duet handy though.

Steve

when that silver circle turns white, and flakes off, the vacuum has been defeated.

By the pics, yours are fine until they blow.

Don't worry./ :rock: :rock:

steve_k":ll7lt6j2 said:
Them Gold Lions got confused and thought they were Leopards :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Year and a few months of use is probably. Just heat on glass and normal wear and tear. Keep a matched duet handy though.

Steve

Gold Leopards!! Hahah :LOL: :LOL:

I figured it was probably no big deal but wanted to be sure - thanks for the reply man!

I do have a pair of Sovteks ready when needed :)

yeah, if you're talking about the silver circles on the sides, that's called the "getter", and it's put there on purpose to react with/remove residual gasses after production. They usually apply it at the top or sides of the tubes.

Erock":34w2o0vt said:
yeah, if you're talking about the silver circles on the sides, that's called the "getter", and it's put there on purpose to react with/remove residual gasses after production. They usually apply it at the top or sides of the tubes.

This is the correct answer.

If the getter turns white Guitarslinger's comment would apply.

Erock":3dxoxlne said:

Thanks man!! Learn something new everyday :)

They were probably there since I put the tubes in and just never noticed

Devin":sruj68hi said:
Erock":sruj68hi said:

Thanks man!! Learn something new everyday :)

They were probably there since I put the tubes in and just never noticed
yeah, it would have been there new, solid silver color, made of barium. BTW, I can't really judge by the pic too well, but if the edges of your getters are turning grey, that usually indicates they are around the end of their lifetime. It may be time to start looking at new tubes as a precaution.

Erock":32v9u3zw said:
BTW, I can't really judge by the pic too well, but if the edges of your getters are turning grey, that usually indicates they are around the end of their lifetime. It may be time to start looking at new tubes as a precaution.

Yes they are definitely grey around the edges....

I do have a pair of Sovteks for backup.

I love the GL's though :scared:

Devin":2cpye6s9 said:
Erock":2cpye6s9 said:
BTW, I can't really judge by the pic too well, but if the edges of your getters are turning grey, that usually indicates they are around the end of their lifetime. It may be time to start looking at new tubes as a precaution.

Yes they are definitely grey around the edges....

I do have a pair of Sovteks for backup.

I love the GL's though :scared:

If the getter is turning white...it's got about all it can get.

Back