What are your favorite pickups to use with Diezel amps?

EMG 81 with the VH4 and Herbert....Also really like the Duncan JB, oand Distotion with both, but particularly the VH4. My Herbert absolutly loved the EMGs.

I think it will be easier to list the ones that don't work well:D.
In general i like all low output, bright and clear pickups with my Diezels (PAF-style PUs, SD SH-12 demon , BKP RiffRaffs, T-Tops, ...)
Standard strat and tele pickups, although i like beefed up bridge singles more, so it's not too far from the buckers i use.

I had bad luck with PUs featuring packed mids (especially low mids).
That includes a lot of Dimarzios and the Duncan AHB-1 Blackouts for example.
High mid heavy PUs are fine. So EMG 81 is also fine!

The lower i tune the more i prefer clearer/tghter PUs. But even at standard E i like them.

Herbert + VHX.

I have a Hagen and Big Max and using a Les Paul and SG with Duncan Distortions in the bridge SH2 Jazz in the neck. Drop D and C# standard tuning.

I’m still experimenting with speakers but currently really liking V30s and Mesa C90s

Sounds absolutely killer!

I had bad luck with PUs featuring packed mids (especially low mids).
That includes a lot of Dimarzios and the Duncan AHB-1 Blackouts for example.
High mid heavy PUs are fine. So EMG 81 is also fine!
This was my experience with BKP Warpigs and Aftermaths. Both extremely powerful pups that are heavy in the low mids, especially the Warpigs, but didn't sound good with the VH4 in B standard. Didn't really sound good with any of my amps really. I switched to Duncan Distortions and it sounded much better. Have a Hagen coming that I'll be using EMG81/85 with so I'm glad to hear a few of yall like those too.

With my Hagen, I find passives work best. I have two guitars with different custom Alnico 8 pickups made by Home Wrecker Pickups that I like to use. One set uses NOS '52 pickup wire.

With my Herbert, I like using actives. Fishman Dev Set or EMG 81.

I love the EMG 81-X in the bridge position of my main Ibanez guitars, through my VH4 and VHX
The 81-X makes the regular EMG 81 obsolete IMHO.

Not my video, but I tried both in the same guitar. As @FLUXX noted, more headroom in the X series. Also, I found it to be tighter in the low end, with more clarity in the highs.

i would descripe the the regular with 18V the same.
I i don't always have space for a 2nd battery, though

Not my video, but I tried both in the same guitar. As @FLUXX noted, more headroom in the X series. Also, I found it to be tighter in the low end, with more clarity in the highs.

My guitar is new with EMGs, would they be solderless? I'm liking the 81 in it but I might want to swap the 85 for a 66 down the road.

At least in this demo here it sounds like the 81X is looser in the lows while the 81 is more focused in general. The 81X has a crisper top end, but I could probably match that with the presence control on my amp.

My guitar is new with EMGs, would they be solderless? I'm liking the 81 in it but I might want to swap the 85 for a 66 down the road.
Solderless doesn't matter.
The Quick connect at the Pickup is standard since some time in the 80s?
SOlderless is the part for the pots etc.

Low-mid outputs are my favorite with the gain high on a VH4.
My favorites so far are the Railhammer Z-One pickups. Extremely balanced. This one is tuned E Flat or Drop C# with 11s.

https://railhammer.com/products/humcutter/billy-corgan-signature-z-one-bridge/
Details:
Sporting custom artwork etched onto the covers, the Railhammer Billy Corgan Z-One Humcutters are designed to have a fat midrange and a smooth top end. With the benefits of the Railhammer construction of oversized polepieces on the plain strings and blade polepieces under the wound strings, these pickups are perfectly suited for crisp clean tones all the way to the full-bore distortion of the heavier side of the Pumpkins catalogue. Balance, versatility, and superlative tone go hand in hand with Railhammer pickups, and the Z-One set is another shining example.

Model: BC2-B
K Ohms: 14.5
Wire Gauge: 43
Magnet: Ceramic

b5xjNft.jpg

Last edited:
Back