What overdrive for leads?

I like the xotic rc booster for leads , it has a nice smooth saturation ..Liquid is a good way to describe it.

What did the original poster end up going with? I'm looking for a overdrive pedal to thicken up my leads as well, so interested to know the results!

the4thlast1":1hwvgw69 said:
I like the xotic rc booster for leads , it has a nice smooth saturation ..Liquid is a good way to describe it.

I was going to mention the EP Booster. It's fat in front of an OD. I believe it's what OP needs!

Wow old thread revived. I’ve been through over 100 other boost/od pedals since I lasted posted in this thread lol

As of now it’s by far an original Klon Centaur, but my next favorites and less pricy options would be either a vintage TC Electronic 1140 or Furman PQ-3 (they’re rack units not pedals, but sound incredible)

The Coppersound Broadway is cool if you want a more raunchy, bluesy kinda lead tone

Those are the only 4 boosts I’ve kept. Everything else I’ve had lost to at least one of those 4 to my ears in the AB comparisons

Not sure what to suggest if any of those are out of budget or impractical due to being rack units/not pedals, but it seems like the other suggestions here are pretty solid for more affordable options

napalmdeath":2ljykoix said:
the4thlast1":2ljykoix said:

I was going to mention the EP Booster. It's fat in front of an OD. I believe it's what OP needs!

Yeah the Xotic stuff is definitely worth a look. I'm also thinking about:
Thorpy Gunshot
Mesa Flux Drive
Klon KTR

Anyone have experience using these in front of a distorted Friedman to add a bit of thickness and sustain for leads?

So...I ended up picking up a Mesa Flux drive and putting it in front of my Friedman JJ100 is liquidy, sustainy bliss for solos!! Just in case anyone is looking for something similar.

My favorites for the task are XTS Precision Multi-Drive, Rockbox Boiling Point and the Suhr Koko Boost. Listen to clips of AL Joseph. He also swears by the Rockbox Boiling Point. I think it's the best boost pedal out there for liquid like leads.

I'm kinda looking for the same thing with my Mesa Electra Dyne.

I've heard the Flux Drive is perfect for this. This thread is insightful. I'm considering the Flux Drive mostly, but now I'm intrigued by the Thorpy Gunshot and Rockbox Boiling Point. I like leads somewhere in between David Gilmour and modern metal/post-hardcore type tones like recent Saosin. For those who have been through many, are these three comparable or is there a clear winner?

Another vote for the original Koko Boost. I'm typically hitting the front of my amp with a Maxon OD808 for all of my high gain rhythm stuff, and then switch to the Koko Boost paired with a Wampler Ego for my lead tone. The Koko is killer.

Back