What PU's do you guys use with the Wizard?

peterc52

Which amp model as well?

What type of music do you play?

I play heavy rock and need a new pu for my Huber.

Play a 50 watt Modern Classic

My LPs have MCPs in them. One has Detroiters and the other has Blackbelts (the higher end ones). Both sound fantastic. I do classic rock, 90s rock, and newer rock. My tones are in the high gain Marshall style, which is what the MCII does.

I also have a ES335 with some JS Moore's. Sounds equally fantastic. JS Moore pickups are tough to beat for the money. He's doing a wind for me now for an incoming LP Custom build that will be a hotter PAF style bucker. Excited to hear it through my MCII.

50w MC
Tele- Lollar Special T and Vintage T
Strat Lollar Imperial Low Wind and Suhr FLV's
Gibson Billie Joe Lollar P90

Mainly Rock type Rock. :D

The Tele is my favourite. Mean as!! :thumbsup:

100 W MC.
Les Pauls one with SD Custom 5, Suhr Aldrich and 57 classics. They all sound great through the Wizard. I play higher gain as well. Rock, Metalish

I'm using Pearly Gates humbuckers in the bridge position of all my guitars... sound good for blues, hard rock, and 80's metal. Typical PAF tone with a DC resistance of 8.3 or so. I believe Wizard amps were voiced around PAF type pickups according to rick.

mdc1mdc11":2ficc393 said:
Given the last comment, anyone played throbak's PU's and can comment?
Not Throbaks but my R8 has OX4's in it. They sounds killer with my Wizard but most pickups I have tried with it so far work.

I currently have a Wizard Modern Classic 100. I have a 1981 Les Paul Custom with a Motor City Pickups 2nd Degree Black Belt in the Bridge, and a regular Black Belt in the neck. I play hard rock as well, and this combination works well for me. I like the clarity of low-moderate output pickups and the wizard has enough gain/EQ control to sound pretty heavy. I also use 11 guage strings and tune down 1/2 step, so that probably has something to do with it too.

I used to play a Detroiter set, and that also sounded good. It was a little more aggressive (almost had a "boosted" quality to it), but I liked the 2nd Degree BB's clarity and response better.

Back