Whats a decent bass for DI recording?

Soundguy213

i need one, so i started looking into it? Anyone know of anything solid for a decent price? Looking for mostly a hard Rock/Metal type tone

Ampeg SVT DI.

I brought mine to the studio a few weeks ago and the producer and the studio owner were blown away by the bass sound we got. I also used it to jam through my guitarist's PA setup when we first started jamming (the trial run) and got a great sound out of it then too. The tube in it warms up the bass sound going through it, and it sounds great.

I may try to run my kazoo through it live next. I'll let you know how that sounds too!

i just bought an ltd viper 50 bass for 90 bucks a few months ago for direct in bass recording on pod farm and it sounds awesome

you dont need to spend a ton of money just for home recording type of stuff cuz in the end it all just sounds like bass .... try to find one of the ltd 10 or 50 series basses, or even the ibanez soundgear basses for around or under 100 bucks

my brother did some sick bass tracks for me a few months back with his schecter 4 string. not sure which model, but we went straight in through my direct box. can't beat that!

How about a used (or new) Fender Standard PBass....add a SD Quarter Pound P-up, and a Badass Bridge. That and a setup and you get some pretty nice bass tones. Did mine for under $600.
That and a Sansamp Bass Driver.....can't say enough about that pedal for recording bass direct....very nice growl!

I'd go for a Fender Jazz Bass - the neck pickup will give you close to a P-Bass tone, the neck is smaller and you can also get some extra definition out of the bridge if you decide you need it for something. I have a 2000 Mexican Deluxe that I haven't seen compete with anything else in its price range, but the caveat is that like many Mexi Fenders, you may have to play your way through some ugly ducklings to get the one that feels right. I put a Badass bridge on it later, but that was just to improve an already great sound.

I also have an Iceni Funkmeister 5 string that's got a John East E-Pro preamp that sounds awesome. I've used it on studio gigs and had nothing but great feedback from producers and engineers about the tone.

Back