What's the best amp?

guadalupefrazier

What's the best amp you've ever played and why did it stand out from the rest? I'm on the hunt for a new amp and am curious about the PRS MT100. I have fond memories of playing a Soldano Hotrod 50, which had a killer tone. Currently, I have an Avenger 100 that brings back that vibe. What amps are you guys loving right now?

Mgl amp i have is tops for what i have owned. I would need to go back and play and ultralead and vh2 back to back with this amp to know for sure which is best, but they are all top in tone.

I loved the avenger for a good while, but it got surpassed for my style of music by others. Never got to play a hotrod. Heard those were a bit more marshall dna

I’ll say this: PRS is fantastic at making guitars. My Archon 100 no longer lives at the inn; FWIW.

I have an MT100; great amp. Resembles an already boosted Triple F/G Recto, but the low end is tighter yet. I'm guessing the low end is designed to be similar to an early Uber. Since he used to blend a Triple with an Uber for his tone.

But if I had to pick one amp it would be my 1972 Supertremolo. With my pedalboard, of course. I'm a Marshall guy in the end.

The two amps I own currently (Diezel VH4 & Koch Supernova) have kept me at bay in regards to new acquisitions. Those are certainly among the best I have tried for many reasons. Both are hard to touch in terms of tone and versatility. I still miss the Diezel Herbert Mark I. It did something in terms high gain rhythm playing on chan 2 + with ethe mid-cut engaged that is truly unique. Other amps that I have not owned, but am wildly impressed by include The Bogner 101B and Wizard MC series. Both seem to have something really special.

The best amp I've ever played? Probably my 6L6 Uberschall Ultra but I dont think there is a best amp in general.

There's a couple of things I wish the Uber did that it doesn't do. It stands out because it is just the most punishing amp I've had/played. I play modern metal and the Ultra just suits that better than any amp I've played with zero hassle.

There are a couple of close 2nds like VHT Pitbull and Monomyth Origin. Mesa Marks seem to sit in a mix better than any amp I've had, although I've yet to run the Ultra with a full band.

So idk, I guess my point is there is no best or perfect amp. Maybe that's why we are all junkies for moar.

FBM. Knew it was my bitch the moment I had it home and plugged into my (ridiculous) speaker setup with one of my favorite custom guitars. I'm another 20-30 amps in and still nothing makes me grin like that amp. Best built in gate so far. Sweepable mid. Super quick response and feel. Still the one 12 years later. It will be my pillow when I'm laid to rest in my casket.

I've owned many amps and one of the amps in my collection is a MT100, along with JPC2, Chupa100 that I modded both circuit wise and with MM transformers, Origin 50 I modded similar to a Friedman JJ circuit, 5150III stealth 50. I would say that the MT100 has a great clean channel, and awesome ripping lead channel but the orange channel is it's biggest downfall in my opinion. It's cool if you want like a really smooth, very mid range, overdriven sound that can be boxy in the mids if not careful. The EQ doesn't really do much for the channel either. It's cool but I think it would have been better suited to have like a more crunchy type marshall thing going on over a dumble type thing IMO. The lead channel brings the cheese whiz though and sounds awesome. The top end is a little more smooth, and darker but not in a bad way. The mids range is a cross between like a Bogner and a Rectifier but sound great. The low end is tight yet has a lot of meat and crunch. It's feel and tone are very addictive to play and it sounds great low or loud. It reminds me of a Rectifier and Uber mixed. It's an amp I won't get rid of because it does something different over say a Marshall type amp.

My favorite is my Mesa Boogie Mark IV which I have owned forever now... about 10 years actually I'd say. The reason I like it so much and the Mark series in particular is because it has that dual EQ going on, one before the gain stages and one after so you can adjust the feel and tightness as well as the frequencies you want to stand out more with the graphic EQ. I had a Mark III earlier, which I also owned about 10 years, it was a great amp as well, but perhaps not quite as refined and tight sounding as the IV. If I owned a IIC+ though I'm pretty sure that would be my favorite.

Last edited:
Best amp …
I’ve been blessed to have owned most of the well regarded amps out there - at least for a few minutes.
Like angelspade said above , there are a few special ones, I’ve had some of these and moved them on , it really comes down to personal taste.
For me it’s how the amp inspires me to play - that is the key.

Only one and obtainable to most?
Diezel Herbert, bombastic punch , saturation , width and feel.
Throw a EQ pedal in the loop and a klon style pedal out front for crunch and there’s nothing that it doesn’t do, exceptionally well.

Honesty I need 2 amps only to blend, 2 period . I could sell the rest . Hermanson 5GS JCM 800 and Wizard Hell Razor would be it and my choice of best amp . But no amp is the best . No way .

Man....I don't know what the "best" amp I have owned or played is. At this point, I have played a good portion of the highly lauded rock oriented amps (save a Recto Rev C, Larry and Hermansson). Some did not live up to the hype for me....others absolutely did.

There have been some standouts that I have owned, including the Mesa mkIV, '96 Ecstasy 101bs and Fryette/VHT Pittbull ultra lead.

That said, if I had to sell all my current amps and could only keep one from past to current, it would absolutely be my Wizard w800 100w. It just has the combination of clarity, punch and feel that works perfectly for how I like to play. Combine that with its simple but very effective onboard tone shaping and with an eq and good boost I would feel confident getting any style/tone from it.

So, that amp is number #1....but I am still trying lots of stuff! Part of the fun! I try now to just enjoy the amps for what they are and what they excel at and not try and make them the be all, end all. I suppose that is a luxury you can have when you own multiple high end amps.

FBM. Knew it was my bitch the moment I had it home and plugged into my (ridiculous) speaker setup with one of my favorite custom guitars. I'm another 20-30 amps in and still nothing makes me grin like that amp. Best built in gate so far. Sweepable mid. Super quick response and feel. Still the one 12 years later. It will be my pillow when I'm laid to rest in my casket.
Dude I could be playing this thing

So far, Wizard hell razor and maybe Hermansson triple recto. If I ever get some of the amps on my wishlist, those might pass them or come close at least

Back